News:

• May 17, 2024, 10:57:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Never seen this before  (Read 500 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Never seen this before
« on: November 26, 2019, 01:01:31 PM »
Wonder what it was mounted on, Carrier, scale,  free flight?

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Never seen this before
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 03:33:03 PM »
I recall seeing that set up on carrier models in early 1970’s MAN magazines when they had a reports section on each of the control line interests.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »
   That is t6he beginnings of a Bill Johnson modified throttle set up. To be complete, there would be a bell crank on the back of the engine that would push the slide open at high throttle and close it at low throttle. There was also a fuel metering device incorporated into it to cut back fuel at low throttle because the engine would be on crank case pressure. Properly set up and adjusted it worked quite well until good carburetors came along.If you never met Bill Johnson, he was quite the character. he was from the St. Louis, MO area, and Ii got to know him later in life as he used to come in to the hobby shop I worked part time at all the time. I found out later that as a kid, he lived an easy walk from my house and I never knew it! He also had an ingenious  retract system that worked off of centrifugal force and it was detailed in Aeromodeller magazine, I believe. Any carrier veteran from back in the 60's, 70's and 80's will know Bill Johnson.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »
Yes that engine needs the rest of the metering set up.  I still have my McCoy 60 Redhead that was set up by Bill.  I also have an earlier version that belonged another local carrier flyer.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 06:27:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, that is so cool, we really are a resourceful bunch aren't we.  y1 #^

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »
In the mid to late 1950's we were using the same exhaust restrictor and a venturi flapper. As the exhaust plate slide forward it hit a arm and pushed the flapper over the venturi to restrict it. Used this on Fox35's at the time. Did it for fun.  Never used it in any contest as I was not aware of any thing except scale that used it.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here