News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:04:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The burp on outside maneuvers  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
The burp on outside maneuvers
« on: October 08, 2022, 06:18:42 AM »
Most of us are aware of the "Fox 35 burp" that occurs on outside maneuvers when that engine is mounted sideways.  That burp characteristic also exists on other engines.  For example, I have witnessed it on some Stalkers.  I guess you will not know until you fly a plane with an engine mounted sideways.

Does anyone have experience with side mounting a RO Jett 67?  Does this engine exhibit the outside maneuver burp?

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: The burp on outside maneuvers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 11:14:30 PM »
Haven't used Jetts, but my guess is that you will have a burp problem if you mount your engine horizontally. It's an issue related to Schnuerle scavenging, more specifically to the Schnuerle bypass channels/ports on both sides of the engine.
Using the same crankcase, I have made several variations of Schnuerle scavenging and they all suffer from the burp more or less. The only one with a rock solid symmetry is my latest baffle-piston variant.
But as I said, I have no experience from the Jett. L

Offline Mike Urban

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 05:13:22 AM »
How can the “Fox 35 burp” be related to Schnuerle porting when the Fox 35 is not Schnuerle ported?

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 09:44:36 AM »
Burp is a burp. it's a result of inefficient scavenging. And most of stunt engines have inefficient scavenging.
Maybe they are not exactly the same phenomen, the Fox- and Schnuerle burp. But with Schnuerle, it's quite clear after my experiments, that it is caused by fuel/oil accumulation in the bypasses on either side of cylinder or lower in the carter. when you eliminate the side channels, you eliminate the problem. I have tried to block the Schnuerle ports asymmetrically, from either side. It does not change the direction of asymmetry.
With Schnuerle, at least with rear exhaust, the burp reverses (to inside loop) when you reverse the running direction. Would it happen also with a Fox or other side-exhaust engines, no idea. L

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »
I have several Fox 35's (profile mount) that all burp. It might be my imagination, but I run fuel pressure from the muffler, and it seems to help a bit.

For nostalgic engines I prefer the McCoy 35 over the Fox. All of my McCoys run great, and no burp! With uniflow tanks and muffler pressure, the McCoy 35 runs pretty much consistent throughout the entire flight, even during stunts. 

Just my 2 cents.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 08:06:58 AM »
     Hi Jim:

My Fox .35 responds well to using a 9-6 prop running a bit faster.  Try it, what do you have to lose?

Frank McCune

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 10:34:49 AM »
How can the “Fox 35 burp” be related to Schnuerle porting when the Fox 35 is not Schnuerle ported?

The problem in either case is that the gas flow inside the engine is too slow and is affected by the acceleration to a disproportionate degree. That's why the Fox "burp" is conclusively solved by speeding up the flow by making the bypass area smaller. 

"Engine experts" will tell you how this will kill the power by restricting the flow. They are wrong, the bypass cross-sectional area is about 5x larger than it needs to be, and restricting it to way less than half the stock dimensions has no effect on the power at all - sometimes it slightly *increases* the power.

Schneurle engines are inherently more prone to changing the run characteristics due to acceleration, because their scavenging counts on the momentum of the flow to go where it is aimed by the ports. The baffle on a baffle-piston engine is there to force the incoming charge up towards the top of the cylinder, a schneurle counts on the ports being aimed that way slinging it up towards the top of the cylinder (and then displacing the exhaust out the exhaust port). It is inherently more prone because it counts entirely on the momentum of the charge to make everything go where it is supposed to.

In either situation, running it faster helps by speeding up the flow. But you don't want or need it to run faster, so an alternate solution is to reduce the bypass and port size to speed up the flow and give the charge more momentum.

So, for the Fox, the definitive solution is they bypass stuffer, then you can run any speed you want with no danger of a bump, and no power loss (or even a slight increase). The net bypass cross-section required to keep from restricting the flow is tiny. And alternate solution it to put various things in the head to at least keep raw charge from blurping itself onto the plug element.

For schnuerle engines, the solution seems to be to make the ports small enough to support the *very low* power levels we run with adequate velocity. Bear in mind, a piped 75 *could* probably be made to pump out 4.5-5 horsepower, we are running at .6 hp, so making the ports and bypasses smaller would have no effect on the power and maybe (with extensive evidence of the fact) less tendency to run differently inside and out. ]

Some smaller engines seem to have nearly no problem with it, only by virtue of running at near-peaked power levels where the port and bypass area are appropriate. You can't (or at least don't want to) run larger engines at the same high fractions of the capability - stunt planes absorb about .3-.6 hp to fly normal stunt speeds, any more and you will either have to figure out some way to waste the excess, or fly it correspondingly faster.

Problem #1 - Fox burp - was discovered in antiquity, and definitively diagnosed and solved by Frank Williams in about 1994 by the bypass stuffer.

Problem #2 - schneurle engine speed/mixture differences on inside and outside maneuvers, was discovered by Ted Fancher and company (probably among others) in the late 70's and has been since at least mitigated by building custom and semi-custom stunt engines with much smaller ports than a typical high powered RC engine of the same displacement.

Of course there are other reasons it might run differently inside and outside, like the tank position, but there are at least these two that otherwise have proven intractable that are inherent functions of the engine and the internal ballistics.

Of course both problems are avoided completely by running electric.

Brett

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 05:56:01 PM »

"Engine experts" will tell you how this will kill the power by restricting the flow. They are wrong, the bypass cross-sectional area is about 5x larger than it needs to be, and restricting it to way less than half the stock dimensions has no effect on the power at all - sometimes it slightly *increases* the power.

Brett

I was installing some Brian Gardner P&L sets in some Fox.35's and some ST.51's form myself and a friend last year. I wish I had thought to take some pictures of the crank cases side by side to show the by bypass ports in comparison with each other. The difference is amazing! I will guess that he difference is almost triple the size of the Fox port. I think when Duke was specing out the Fox .35 in the beginning, he wanted the lightest engine that he could get. One way to do that was to get as much metal out of the case as he could, and still keep a good shape to hold the cylinder liner and the only place they could do it was in the bypass port area. If you really look at a Fox.35 Stunt crank case, there really isn't any excess metal anywhere. They porked it up a little bit with the last versions that had the full length muffler ears. I have never taken a sand cast Fox apart but I would be interested to know if the the port is the same size. At the time it was designed, guys were using it for free flight models also so weight was important. Any increase in performance from stuffing the bypass is from reducing crank case volume, and that increases crank case vacuum, which means better fuel draw. Not a huge performance boost but when combined with some other little bits makes for a smoother and better running engine
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline David Ebers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 10:53:23 PM »
Richard Oliver ran the 67 on a profile at the Bill Rutherford Memorial contest in Houston a few years ago. The 67 he used was side exhaust with clunk tank on muffler pressure.
I watched his flights behind the judge's station. I was amazed because it was the first time I saw a stunt plane fly at a constant speed. RWO, up hill, down hill where ever how ever, that plane (profile Maverick) did not speed up or slow down. I made that comment to Richard after his second flight. He likened it to driving his Kubota tractor in 1st gear.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 12:09:37 AM »
Richard Oliver ran the 67 on a profile at the Bill Rutherford Memorial contest in Houston a few years ago. The 67 he used was side exhaust with clunk tank on muffler pressure.
I watched his flights behind the judge's station. I was amazed because it was the first time I saw a stunt plane fly at a constant speed. RWO, up hill, down hill where ever how ever, that plane (profile Maverick) did not speed up or slow down. I made that comment to Richard after his second flight. He likened it to driving his Kubota tractor in 1st gear.

That was the impression we all got with our first piped systems. I was afraid to do a wingover, it seemed way too slow for my ST46 experience. Point it up, and it went up like a nice slow elevator, coming down the other side, some was riding the brakes all the way, it was absolutely amazing.

This sort of run created the biggest revolution in stunt since coupled flaps, it completely changed the event.

Most of what I am trying to get people set up for in my endless wars with the Head Gasket Patrol is something like this - as you note, once you know what you are trying to achieve you can sometimes manage it without the pipe, in some conditions. Electric on a governor is even more that way. Electric with a accelerometer feedback system *can* be that way, but, just like most piped engine users, all 4-2 breakers, you can set them *far too aggressively* and override this effect. It's tempting because it feels so macho, but it is not helping you fly stunt maneuvers.

You can *easily* achieve this with several common piped systems - the 40 and 46VF is particularly easy to set up, and I run the version of the RO-Jett 61 BSE that I have because I can get it to do this with just the necessary degree of adjustability for more or less of this constant run effect. It's also dead easy on the "new" 25LA and the 20FP ABC, which is why those have stood out from the other "small engine experiment" engines. Unfortunately it is hard to keep people from trying to "fix" them, and lose the effect

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 01:22:38 AM »
Side-mounted Supertigre .35s would go rich in outside maneuvers.  Some were worse than others.  I could never figure out why, but now I'd guess that the later, wider-bypass cases were worse.  My G.15s did it, too, with more than 10% nitro.  An outside loop would shut them off. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 01:36:26 AM »
There is a bit of confusion which years the Fox .35 bypass was deepened, but was ultimately changed back. See the info in the link:

http://www.foxmodelmotors.com/engines/35/35-history.htm

Also interesting to note that Mohrbacher (and Duke) stated that the engines were made using gravity fed (not pressurized) permanent mold castings. None were sandcast. But the earlier castings looked different from the later pressure-fed die castings, so....

Dave

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2022, 12:19:00 PM »
There is a bit of confusion which years the Fox .35 bypass was deepened, but was ultimately changed back. See the info in the link:

http://www.foxmodelmotors.com/engines/35/35-history.htm

Also interesting to note that Mohrbacher (and Duke) stated that the engines were made using gravity fed (not pressurized) permanent mold castings. None were sandcast. But the earlier castings looked different from the later pressure-fed die castings, so....

Dave

In any case, the bypass area was *far larger than necessary for chugging along at stunt speeds with a 10-6*. As evidenced by the fact that cutting it down to <25% of the original area has either no effect on the power at the RPM required for stunt, or slightly increases it.

I remind everyone - almost none of the engines we use for stunt were designed for low-rpm running, not even the Fox 35. And the Fox 35 was a pretty hot engine in 1949. As a result of trying to get the most power out of them possible, they almost all have bypasses and other port features intended to give the most power. That a lot of them work pretty well for our purposes, with just crank timing and liner changes, is more-or-less an accident.

As far as I know only one of them has a custom-made case - the RO-Jett 61 BSE - and that one runs quite differently from the equivalent cast-case version. The difference is exactly as described here - the cast-case engine is very aggressive in the corners and has significant inside/outside speed differences, like the PA40 and early PA61/65s.

The BSE version has nearly no difference inside/outside and has *very mild* boost/brake characteristics, much more like a 40/46VF. And the liner ports on the 61 look like mail slots. Note this is despite having "radio numbers" for timing/blowdown. In fact it runs even smoother with the QM40 crank timing as opposed to the "Stunt" crank timing. This is also the basis of the PA61/65 "Aussie Crank Mod" and like the original PA51 crank.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here