News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:47:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank shape for odd compartment size.  (Read 764 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tank shape for odd compartment size.
« on: May 27, 2019, 11:51:29 AM »
Guys,
Am working on installing a Drone 29 in a Guided Whistle OTS ship. This ship has an upright engine with cowl into a spinner. In order to get the shaft in the proper location the mounts had to be raised. Now once the shaft is aligned the next problem is getting the NVA and tank set up. The Drone's high mounts has the needle pretty high. To fit into the cowl I cast a top block from fiber glass. This worked well but the room available for a tank at the right height is very difficult. I managed to get a Sylvania oval 2 oz tank in, but to get the uniflow and pickup in line with the NVA I had to put them high up in the top corner. I think this should work but I was wondering if I could use a shape that would hold a bit more fuel (deeper but still have the uniflow and pickup in the upper corner). I seem to remember Al Rabe having some different shapes to fit the available space with the tubes in the right location and they worked fine.  Anyone build some of these type of shapes?

Best,    DennisT

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tank shape for odd compartment size.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 06:32:07 PM »
I've made quite a few custom tanks using Sullivan and similar polyethylene tanks.  It takes patience and a heavy duty soldering gun with a spade bit.  Fit parts into a simple jig.  Heat a joint until the plastic turns clear.  Then add a bit using thin strips like welding rod.

Just like learning to solder metal tanks, it does take some practice.  But the tanks are pretty cheap.  Your oval tank could probably be increased twenty percent in capacity if it was built square.  Looks like there is room to add a small wedge sump to the bottom of the tank too.
phil Cartier

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »
I have not built such shapes but do not see why they should not work.  It's easy-peasy if you have some tinplate.

Diesels are way more fuel efficient than glow engines, and the Old Time pattern is shorter -- are you sure that 2 oz isn't plenty?

I'd fly the thing or run it on the ground and find out if I had a problem first.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »
Phili,
Thanks for the information. I have seen plastic tanks welded as you describe and they did work fine, no leaks. I might try to add about 1/2" in length by cutting the back off and welding on a new one from another tank that will add the length. I will just locate the uniflow tube near the top inline with thr NVA.

Tim,
Normally the 2oz would cover the OTS pattern but for thr Drone diesel it likes fuel that is 75% ether, 25% SAE 25 mineral oil (we use mineral oil instead of castor because it calms the ether so is burns not detonate). The ether has a very wide fuel/air range similar to ethanol ( 7 - 10 to 1) so it runs a little richer ( has a very wide needle range)' Kerr based diesel is like 14 -16 to 1 (similar to gasoline, with a narrow needle range). You burn about 15 - 20% more drone fuel then kero diesel, so could use 1/2oz more fuel. The reason for the high ether is twofold, first with fixed compression it starts very easy, second it runs very cold temperature wise (the Drone has minimal cooloing fins). It still puts out tons of torque and power turning a 12-13"x8 at 6700 rpm (it turns an 11"x10 at 6700rpm also, frankly, I think it does a shaft run at 6701rpm. It is kinda the ultimate electric run.

Best,  DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »
... with fixed compression ...

But don't I see a compression adjustment screw on that thing?

I'd get some tinplate (K&S makes it -- you can get it from Amazon if your LHS doesn't stock it) and some copper or brass tube and go to town.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here