News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:40:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank placement  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Ronald Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Tank placement
« on: June 18, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »
 Remind me. Tank placement. I think tank outlet to motor should be exactly in line horizontally withe the motor fuel nipple correct? I’m completing a Veco Chief with an upright 34 motor. In order to accomplish the configuration the tank sits above the top of the fuse a good 1/2 inch. What will happen if the tank out line is below the motor intake?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tank placement
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 02:02:32 PM »
Well...

As a starting point, put the effective center of the tank in line with the outlet of the spray bar, then adjust from there.

You may just have to get things as close as you can, and live with it not being ideal.

I hesitate to give this advise because I never did really get the hang of metal tanks, but here goes: since in a uniflow tank the effective center of the tank is the location of the vent, make a tank that comes to a wedge at the very top of the tank, and put the pickup and vent there.  Or, if you don't need that much height, put the uniflow wherever it needs to be, and the wedge to match.  This should, at the expense of losing some volume, raise the effective height of the tank.  Obviously, you'll have the joy of building your own tank.

You could also just take a regular tank and move the uniflow up.  This'll mean that when the tank gets down to the dregs it'll lean out more in level flight than inverted -- but you'll be able to just modify an existing tank instead of having to build up a new one.

Or just live with the fact that the tank height won't match in level and inverted flight.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 02:49:59 PM »
Ronald,

The displacement of 0.34 cu. in. is a very uncommon size for a model engine used in
controline stunt planes.  That would suggest that it may not have the conventional distance
between the spray bar, and the mounting lugs of the engine.

This distance is typically 1/2" for many common engines.  Your spray bar is probably much
higher than 1/2".

In order to help you, we need more information.

* What brand is your engine?

* What is the vertical distance from the bottom of your mounting lugs to the center of the spray bar?

You will never get the engine to run the same rpm right side UP, and upside DOWN with your setup.

Give us the additional information and we can go from there.

Cheers,

Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Paul Van Dort

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 02:43:38 AM »
If you use uniflow, the uniflow exit in the tank is the reference. This should line up with the NVA. This often located at center heigth

If the tank is standard, the center of the tank is the best reference as starting point .

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 06:21:20 AM »
Remind me. Tank placement. I think tank outlet to motor should be exactly in line horizontally withe the motor fuel nipple correct? I’m completing a Veco Chief with an upright 34 motor. In order to accomplish the configuration the tank sits above the top of the fuse a good 1/2 inch. What will happen if the tank out line is below the motor intake?

The end of the fuel pick up in the tank should be in line with the spraybar..
AMA 21449

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 06:33:37 AM »
If you use uniflow, the uniflow exit in the tank is the reference. This should line up with the NVA. This often located at center heigth

If the tank is standard, the center of the tank is the best reference as starting point .

This is incorrect. Most metal tanks on the market have the uniflow exit at the top of the tank for convenience. If you align that with the NVA the tank will for sure ne too low. The location of the main pick up and the end of the uniflow vent in the tank is what affects the engine run.  Tank location will be a bit different for a full fuselage model than for a profile also. This stuff makes a difference, so make sure what you are referring to.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 06:46:22 AM »
Ronald you still have not told us what motor you are trying to use . Are you using a motor with a rc carb on it?
 You have now found out why people use engines with the needle valve set up near the 1/2 “ above the motor mounts. The plane was designed in the Fox .35 days. If you want a cheap motor just get a old Fox .35 and enjoy the model as it was intended in the 1950’s.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Paul Van Dort

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 08:36:06 AM »
       This is incorrect. Most metal tanks on the market have the uniflow exit at the top of the tank for convenience. If you align that with the NVA the tank will for sure ne too low. The location of the main pick up and the end of the uniflow vent in the tank is what affects the engine run.  Tank location will be a bit different for a full fuselage model than for a profile also. This stuff makes a difference, so make sure what you are referring to.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

The location of the uniflow exit IN the tank. Not outside the tank.

Offline Paul Van Dort

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 08:38:56 AM »
The end of the fuel pick up in the tank should be in line with the spraybar..

The location of the fuel pick up is not important for Inverted/ upright behaviour. Just make sure it is in the fuel all the time. That is enough.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 04:20:58 PM »
The location of the uniflow exit IN the tank. Not outside the tank.

The way you have things worded is confusing. In a metal tank, the uniflow tube is usually in line with the fuel pick up, but positioned in front of it by at least 1/2".  The position of the fuel pickup is important for how the engine runs up right and inverted. In a metal tank, when they are both positioned on the same level, subtle corrections in the tank elevation are more effective. Yes, you can move the uniflow to effect how the engine runs up right and inverted, but you have to take the tank apart to move it and you need something else to support the end. If you have some sort of odd ball installation and have limited movement of the tank up and down, then you must build a custom tank to account for that and still keep both the pick up tube and the uniflow tube covered until the tank runs out.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 07:20:36 PM »
Actually, he was trying to use a Super Tigre G 34.  I suggested we try an FP-40 or a Brodak 40. The spraybar of the G 34 was at least a quarter of an inch higher than the FP 40 and the B-40.  Current thought is to install the B-40.     

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 10:29:03 PM »
Actually, he was trying to use a Super Tigre G 34.  I suggested we try an FP-40 or a Brodak 40. The spraybar of the G 34 was at least a quarter of an inch higher than the FP 40 and the B-40.  Current thought is to install the B-40.   

The ST.34 uses the same basic venturi set up as the ST-G51 does. I think the venturis are interchangeable. I have used the ST.51 to a great extent, and have never had an issue with having to excessively shim the tank around to get a good run. I mount the engine right to the engine bearers and then the tank sits on the munts also,  or on aluminum pads and I shim the tank to match the pads. You just have to allow for room in the tank compartment for it. Yopu should be fine doing the same with the ST.34. I have not known anyone to use that engine a lot, but curious as to how it will run for you. Super Tiger made a control line version of it, but I'm not sure if it had a different cylinder liner like the .51 has.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Paul Van Dort

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 12:47:39 AM »
    The way you have things worded is confusing. I

English is not  my first language. Sorry.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 07:26:27 AM »
Paul,

Thanks for sharing the info about tank vents.  For what it's worth, I was able to understand that "exit" referred to the flow of incoming air making its exit at the wet end of the uniflow vent tube.

The physics / mechanics of why the location of the vent tube within the tank is so critical eludes me, but I'm able to follow the practice you describe with good result.

Peter

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »
In this case, the engine was on the bearers but the spray bar was higher than the other engines mentioned.  We could have shimmed the tank up but would have had to make quite a large shim under the tank to get the tank draw up to be even with the spray bar. This would have required making an unsightly hump on the front of the fuselage.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 09:55:12 AM »
   Looked at pictures of the ST/34 and like the 51 the needle is very high. Save the engine for inverted model or profile.
Ed
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 04:00:41 PM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 10:19:02 AM »
In this case, the engine was on the bearers but the spray bar was higher than the other engines mentioned.  We could have shimmed the tank up but would have had to make quite a large shim under the tank to get the tank draw up to be even with the spray bar. This would have required making an unsightly hump on the front of the fuselage.

The question is, did you try to fly it like that?? Start out with it as high as you can mount it and try an easy flight. I think you will be surprised. In my Shark.45s, I have the ST.51 engine mounted inverted on metal pads, but I think the tank is up against the bearers or at a minimum just a 1/16" balsa shim. Been a while since I have been under the hood on that one. The best way  to know is to try it in actual operation. Like I mentioned, the ST.34 uses the same set up as the ST.51 I do believe, and I have used mostly stock ST.51s with an occasional T&L set up or one of the other engine workers.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 07:51:43 PM »
We didn't even finish the plane with that in.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 07:59:42 PM »
We didn't even finish the plane with that in.

Keep it in mind for the next opportunity. You really don't see these engines out there in the used market. When they first hit the scene I think some of the Carrier guys tried them for profile and such but don't remember any specifics. I am just curios as to how they run, and I'll bet if it is tunable it would be on par with the OS.32 and the Magnum/Thunder Tiger .36s. I really don't think you will have any problem with tank relative to the venturi.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 11:14:19 PM »
You might want to measure the height of the venturi clamping bar above the engine bearers. If that is close to the usual 1/2", then all you need is a venturi set up for side feed. That setup will use a venturi with a smaller thru hole, ad a groove to clear the spraybar with a small pee hole in the center. This is pretty standard.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 04:05:16 PM »
Thanks for the good observations.  I don't think we will just look around to see what engine we have.

Offline George Fruhling

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2022, 03:31:24 PM »

Mount the tank so the outlet is level with the venturi.   Start the engine tune for a steady run. Invert the model. If the engine leans out, the tank was too high. If it gets rich, the tank is too low.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2022, 06:25:13 PM »
It happens that I know of a couple of guys that have attempted to use the G.34 for stunt and ended up unhappy with the results. I'm pretty sure I've never even seen a G.34.  ;D Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here