News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:40:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for a 60 size CL for Gas Engine?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline BrianW517

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Looking for a 60 size CL for Gas Engine?
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:04:46 AM »
   H^^  I'm looking for a CL 60 size plane that will take my New Evolution GAS 10. RC Engine?  n~ I would like to use a carrier type  semi-scale  plane.  #^ I was looking at the new Hanger 9 RC P-40B. I would convert it for CL flight, with my new gas motor. I mention the carrier type because I would like to fly it in a carrier type event.  LL~ All the CL planes that I've been looking at, are to small or to large for the Evo Motor. Any ideas out there?  H^^

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Looking for a 60 size CL for Gas Engine?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:33:02 AM »
   H^^  I'm looking for a CL 60 size plane that will take my New Evolution GAS 10. RC Engine?  n~ I would like to use a carrier type  semi-scale  plane.  #^ I was looking at the new Hanger 9 RC P-40B. I would convert it for CL flight, with my new gas motor. I mention the carrier type because I would like to fly it in a carrier type event.

Might want to check the rules for Carrier before getting too far down the road to building the airplane.

Brett

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:44 AM »
P-40's (maybe only one) flew off of carrier decks, but never landed on one in an old experiment...

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline BrianW517

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »
   Might want to check the rules for Carrier before getting too far down the road to building the airplane.

Brett
Even if it isn't carrier contest classifiable, it would be a hoot, to fly low & slow and hook down. #^

Offline BrianW517

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »
P-40's (maybe only one) flew off of carrier decks, but never landed on one in an old experiment...

W.
I think I read somewhere, that the Britt's tested the Hawker Hurricane & the Mowhawk & the Mustang for carrier trials, but backed off. They all were to difficult to land back on the carrier safely and they're wings didn't fold for storage below deck.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:06:47 AM »
Even if it isn't carrier contest classifiable, it would be a hoot, to fly low & slow and hook down. #^

Certainly. But you would likely have to create your own carrier-type event for it.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
Well, a little research answered some questions I had about the engine. It only weighs 15.3 oz (!). I'd look for a carrier design for a racing .60 glow. The thing should put out as much horsepower as a McCoy .60, I suppose. The only kit I can think of was the old Sterling "Grumman Guardian", which is still a viable competition design in the Navy Carrier event. That said, I'd avoid an overpriced kit...especially a Sterling kit, and build from plans. Somebody on the Carrier Forum should be able to help find plans. This is a good time to build a new one, with the legalization of radio for throttle etc.   y1  Steve

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/10gx-10cc-60-cu-in-gas-engine-EVOE10GX
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
Well, a little research answered some questions I had about the engine. It only weighs 15.3 oz (!).   

y1  Steve

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/10gx-10cc-60-cu-in-gas-engine-EVOE10GX

Interesting.  The Evolution Engines website has specs for their EVO 10cc engine and shows a basic engine weight of 20.32 oz with an additional muffler weight of 5 oz.  Now, that is a heavy engine.  That website shows two different RC engines in the "60" category, with different weights than the Horizen Hobby listing above.  Also, the Evolution Engines website shows some CL versions.  BrianW157 is still going to have to decide if he wants to build an airplane to fit into some rulebook category, or is he just interested in building some sort airplane for CL sport.  Evidently, he is only interested in building a kit. It sounds like he wants to utilize a throttle.  For any kind of scale airplane, there are a number of RC kits that could be converted.  For a non scale sport CL airplane from a kit designed for CL that would be enjoyable to fly with a throttle with an engine that size, the kit selection becomes somewhat limited.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here