News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank muffler venting - uniflow or conventional?  (Read 1706 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tank muffler venting - uniflow or conventional?
« on: January 26, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
Guys,
I have been researching tank venting from muffler pressure and was wondering if others have tested using conventional vent pressure compared to uniflow muffler pressure? Looking at the Hayes tank thread indicated that a different approach could be viable. Seems that muffler pressure kinda defeats the uniflow venting by forcing gas into the tank rather then having the draw down pull air into the tank as needed. Putting the pressure into the uncovered vent seems to put a little more push that should be fairly constant. What have you experienced?

Best,        DennisT

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Tank muffler venting - uniflow or conventional?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »
I use muffler pressure on uniflow and it suits me fine. I have never tried it non uniflow.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:07:49 PM »
Uniflow works in the same manner on suction, muffler , or crankcase pressure.   The pressure values are a bit different, but the physics are the same.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:11:32 AM »
+1 Mike, but be prepared for a fight! It isn't "stunt physics"!!!  LL~
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »
What Mike said about uniflow.

I think there are two reasons that muffler pressure into a Hayes tank works, in spite of the lack of uniflow.  First, because the muffler pressure is higher than atmospheric, the percentage of head loss that you get as the tank runs down is smaller than if you were running atmospheric pressure.  Second, because the engines where those tanks seem to work best also seem to be less sensitive to head variation at the needle valve -- so they can absorb the pressure changes caused by no uniflow, and take them in stride.

Certainly the best Hayes tank setup I have is on an FP 20, which just goes the same speed no matter what you do for an absurdly wide range of needle valve settings.  The fuel consumption goes up massively as you go richer and richer, but the speed stays constant until it's really blubbery.

I also suspect -- but am not enough of an engine guy to know -- that muffler pressure coupled with a rich needle setting tends to be self regulating.  If the engine slows down a bit, the muffler pressure will reduce, that'll make the engine go a bit leaner, which will make the engine speed up.  But I'm not going to make any bets on this one unless I do mucho testing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
...First, because the muffler pressure is higher than atmospheric, the percentage of head loss that you get as the tank runs down is smaller than if you were running atmospheric pressure....

Bingo!

See this:   http://www.nclra.org/TechTopics/UniflowPhysics.pdf written in 1978, aimed at the racing crowd, but still exhibits the physics of the situation.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Advertise Here
Tags: tank  venting 

Advertise Here