News:

• May 14, 2024, 02:39:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 40a Setups  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Saito 40a Setups
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:53:22 AM »
Anyone else running a Saito 40a? Have one on the TwistMaster and have been playing a little with props and fuel. I have never been able to get what I would call a perfect stunt run out of this engine. Probably just spoiled by the Brodak 40 and 25 I have in other airplanes.. Anyway the big problem is consistency and I haven't figured out how to tell if it is going rich or lean when it slows down.

My setup is pretty basic. UHP manifold/venturi, 4 ounce clunk tank plumbed conventional, OS 4 stroke plug. Have ran 10 to 25 % nitro and various combinations of oil from 50/50 to straight synthetic. Fuel doesn't seem to be very critical if you stay above 12% nitro, doesn't seem to change the problem and it has plenty of power even with 10%. So far the best prop seems to be an 11-4. This morning I tried an 11-5 Rev-up and my lap times were around 4.3 seconds on 60 foot lines.. A bit too fast but it sure had line tension :)

It will get through the pattern but sometimes it acts like it's going rich (or lean), drops RPM and it isn't something I can put my finger on. I can set the needle just on the rich side of peaked, take off and sometimes it seems like it's blubbering around until I do the reverse wingover then it will take off and run great the rest of the flight. Sometimes it seems to go rich (or lean) on outsides but doesn't do it consistently enough to say I need to move the tank. Last flight this morning it did whatever it's doing half way through the hourglass, if the wind had been blowing I would have been in real trouble but as it was it made it through the outsides and came on enough in the inside to make it over the top.

So what is your Saito 40a setup and have you had any experiences like I am having?

PS: Valve lash is set at spec, checked and double checked it just to be sure.

Alan Hahn

Re: Saito 40a Setups
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:35:50 PM »
Bob,
I have my Saito 40 on a Sig P-Force. I am using the standard carb setup, with a clunk tank plumbed as a uniflow, opened to the atmosphere. Currenty I am running Wildcat YS 20-20 fuel (all synthetic lube). Prior to this I have used various Sig Champion Fuels. Propwise I am running a black Magnum 3 blade 10-6. Can't use a 11-X or longer 2 blade because of clearance problems with the plane, although I could probably change some things with that.

With the throttle full bore, I was getting pretty fast laps (4.5 or so) and was experiencing similar problems as you describe--the engine seemed "listless", sometimes rich, sometimes lean (during the same run). Yesterday I closed the throttle a little, and now am getting lap speeds around 4.8-5.0, a little more manageable with decent overhead tensions. I think the engine run is better, but still not what I would call "stunt perfect".

I am thinking the problem is related to poor fuel draw. When I look at the carb, intake manifold, and that magnificent 90 degree bend into the head (and thru the intake valve), I am thinking that the pressure drop at the spraybar is not overwhelming since air velocity thru the intake may not be super high. That may  be why closing the throttle seems to have helped some. Recall that this is an RC setup, and for that application, muffler pressure is simply assumed. I am thinking about hooking it up. The main disadvantage for me is that with muffler pressure hooked up, it is real easy to have a self-sustaining backwards run (muffler is the carb, intake is the exhaust), unless you run an electric starter which practically guarantees a forward run.

I know you have the UHP venturi, but I wonder how much fuel draw you are getting with that. It would depend upon the hole size of course and the spraybar diameter. You might also try muffler pressure to see if that makes the run happier.

It is also possible that the engine hasn't completely broken in yet. I don't have a lot of time on it, and Saito's are notorious  for long breakins.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 04:46:51 AM »
Thanks Alan, was beginning to think I was the only one in the world running a Saito 40a.

Forgot to mention I am running muffler pressure. Yesterday I tried an APC 10.5 - 4.5 and it seemed promising. If I were to put a 6 pitch prop on this thing I would be doing less than 4 second laps. Even the APC 4.5 was running 4 1/2 second laps toward the end of the flight. The good news was it seemed to help the consistant run issue.

Next change is to a uniflow clunk, the conventional tank I am now running does exactly what conventional tanks do, gets progressively leaner as the flight progresses.

Plan to leave the APC prop on until I get a consistant run then either play with more props or go to longer lines. Next chance I will get to fly it will be this evening and will keep this thread updated on my progress.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:49:40 PM »
Hi Bob; I have never run 4-strokes in C/L, so don't no much about it. I have run alot of them in R/C however. One thing I would try is going to a 6-pitch prop, and enough diameter to load it enough to get your lap times decent. My experience with 4-stokes was that they like a lot of prop load to run steady. Just my 2-cents.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:46:43 AM »
1 step forward and two steps back.. The Saito quit in the clover yesterday and I couldn't run fast enough.. The TwistMaster is now in the hospital, fixable but I am pretty frustrated with the whole 4 stroke idea. No reason for it to quit, wasn't out of fuel, filter was clear plug is still good. It was actually running somewhat OK with an 11-5 APC cept it just decided to quit at the wrong time. When it comes out of the hospital it will probably have a Brodak 40 on it..

For sale.. One Saito 40a with UHP manifold and original carb $160.00 + shipping. Engine is in great shape, has a little burnt castor on the outside and on the muffler. Hasn't been ran all that much, broken in properly and 20 flights. PayPal accepted...

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »
Hi Bob; I have never run 4-strokes in C/L, so don't no much about it. I have run alot of them in R/C however. One thing I would try is going to a 6-pitch prop, and enough diameter to load it enough to get your lap times decent. My experience with 4-stokes was that they like a lot of prop load to run steady. Just my 2-cents.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head, have been listning and posting to Brad Walker over on UHP.. check out this thread.. http://www.egpworld.com/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=19040

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 07:05:13 PM »
Hi Bob; Just read the posts over on UHP, and it is really interesting. Sounds like you are on the right path. Hope to see you guys this weekend at Tulsa GlueDobbers contest.
Jim Kraft

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 07:15:30 PM »
Why not post them over here?
AMA 12366

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 03:58:25 AM »
Why not post them over here?

Guess because Brad jumped in and answered my post on UHP, I don't feel my Saito 40 setup is as good as as it can be yet and when it is I will post the details here..

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 10:21:10 AM »
Bob, those Dallas guys know 4 strokes and Saito in particular. They have bene experimenting with them for a long time. the guys in the Northeast also. Don't give up theres light at the end of the tunnel. #^ #^. Ron.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 10:54:32 AM »
I have used 4 stroke engines as much as most people and have established a number of guidelines.

I have NINE 4 stroke powered planes at this time, one of which is powered by THREE engines.  %^

I use Brodak 10%nitro, 23% total oil in all my 4S engines EXCEPT for my non-Surpass OS .40. That one likes 20% nitro.

Except for my SAITO .56, I use metal tanks without uniflow.

On my profiles, I use open venting - no muffler pressure. I run a single vent to the forward inboard upper corner of the tank. I bend that vent forward into the slipstream.
On the triple, I use the old Perfect over/under vented tanks and the runs are perfect.  j1

On my inverted engines, I use the same single vent metal tank setup but with muffler pressure.

Glow plugs - now here's an eye opener. I have tried just about every brand on the market and I have found NO DIFFERENCE!!! ???

I have four SAITO .30s and the first one I bought, around 6 years ago, still has the ORIGINAL plug. I don’t even know what brand it is.

Regarding props: This, as is well known, takes some experimenting. For most applications, the APCs seem to work best. I run a 10-4.5 on my SAITO .30 in the Argus. All the others get a 6 or 7 pitch.
The non-Surpass .40 works best with a Master Airscrew 11-7 plastic.

When I was experimenting with my Euclid II, (Surpass .40), I tried quite a few props. The best was an AHC 11 1/2-6 1/2. With that prop, it flew the same speed as with an APC 11-4 but ran 2 minutes longer. Go figure.   ''

I have the prototype Brodak P-40 ARC and have tried a number of engines. The last one, a Diesel, turned out to be a disaster.   n1 It will get the original SAITO .40 back. It was perfect with it.

Bob Z.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 08:17:29 PM »
Hi Bob, Prior to the terminal prang which my ARF Nobler with my Saito .40 suffered at the Brodak FlyIn, I ran it with an APC 10 X 4 and YS 20 20 all synthetic. It pulled like a mule and gave me a full measure of pleasure. The tank was Sullivan with uniflow configuration running on muffler pressure. I shorted the tank for its final flight after it finished its next to last flight at 7' 59''! I only took out .5 oz. but that was enough for it to quit in the first loop of the four leaf clover! I am still saddened just thinking about it! Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 03:24:40 AM »
Hi Phil

Sorry to hear about your Nobler, inconsistency was my main grip when I was running a low pitch prop. My Saito 40 also quit in the clover, not a good thing to happen.

I am now convinced loading the suckers down and adjusting the power to suite the airframe is the magic bullet. Running a Rev-Up 11-7 has produced the most consistant flights I have ever had. Pretty amazing that at full bore that little 40 will turn an 11-7 at 9 grand.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »
Think this will be my final setup, after 14 flights over 3 days it has proven to be pretty darn consistant.

Rev-Up 11-7, Powermaster YS 20-20 fuel, OS F plug, RC Clunk tank conventionally plumbed on muffler pressure. UHP manifold with adjustable venturi via a 10-32 nylon screw through the side.

Have the venturi set so peak RPM is 81-8200, needle just on the rich side of peak. Initial lap times on 58 foot lines 5.1 seconds, speeds up a little as the fuel gets low to 4.8 just before it quits. Runs 6 minutes 3 seconds on 4 ounces.

With the adjustable venturi I can adjust the engine RPM from about 9 grand to something below 7800, I stopped at 7800 as the air speed was too slow for the airframe. At full bore it was doing 4.2 second laps, started cranking it in and readjusting needle as I went.  Putting up test flights about every 100 RPM, consistency of run was solid at all settings and speeds.

Sure a world of difference between what I started with (11-4 Rev-Up and 10-22 50/50  fuel) Most of the ideas for the final setup came from communications with Brad Walker from Dallas.. Thanks Brad...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here