News:

• May 14, 2024, 08:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre g20 .23  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Tom Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Super Tigre g20 .23
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:47:59 PM »
One of the used engines I bought last week is the ST G20 .23.  I haven't been able to find much information on this engine, but what little I've seen is good.  This engine is supposed to be very powerful for the size.  I will probably put it on one of my light Ringmasters.

The one I picked up has an RC carb and no muffler.  I plan to make a venturi from a nylon spacer.  I will drill and tap two holes.  One hole will accept. the NVA removed from the RC carb and the hole on the opposite side will be tapped for a 10-32 nylon screw similar to what Bob Reeves used in his 4 cycle.  I've used this method in LA engines and it is almost fool proof.

The bad part about this engine as with most out of production engines is the lack of easily obtainable spare parts.

If anyone has experience with this engine I'd sure be happy to hear about it.  A spec sheet would be great.

I think I will start with a 9-4 on this engine and go from there.  Any suggestions on prop size?    #^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Super Tigre g20 .23
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 12:48:17 AM »
I've had several of them, and they are nice little engines; a big brother of the G21 .15 we used for Goodyear back in the '60s and early '70s. Be sure to use fuel that's at least 22% oil (more can't hurt) and half of that Castor Oil ; Nitro up to 20% as needed. The 9-4 on a Ringmaster is a good beginning. This engine was popular before mufflers were common. I can't remember if it uses sub-piston induction, but if so, a muffler may hinder performance considerably (or cause overheating).

Authentic replacement parts will be a problem, but bearings are readily available from Boca (or have Frank Bowman rebuild as necessary). When the P&L fit eventually goes away, have the liner chromed by Bob Oge. It's a durable engine, but avoid lean runs. Enjoy.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here