News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tiigre G65 rear intake  (Read 537 times)

Offline Dennis Holler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super Tiigre G65 rear intake
« on: April 14, 2022, 10:13:50 AM »
I've had this in my pile for a while always with the intention of using it on a carrier plane.  I originally thought it was the boat engine version, but recently realized I think it is the speed engine version and thinking that the odd shaped prop spacer is the stock ST spinner base.  I haven't seen too many of these engines, is the .65 version uncommon?
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super Tiigre G65 rear intake
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 10:44:32 AM »
That is a new one for me.  Does it use some form of valve, like a COX reed to control the timing?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 11:28:18 AM »
No I don't think so, just looks like an oversized RC style carb on it currently.  They carb looks home made or should I say does not look like a "production" machined part if that makes sense.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 11:54:55 AM »
That is a new one for me.  Does it use some form of valve, like a COX reed to control the timing?

I am sure it is a rotary value (probably a disk valve) - you can see the axle for it in the center of the backplate. Works like a front rotary valve, the crankpin drives a disk with a hole in it, it aligns with the port at the right times when there is low pressure in the case, etc. This allows much better control over the intake timing than a reed valve, which just opens any time there is a pressure differential.

The engine is strange, I can't recall ever seeing one or knowing that it existed (i.e. that ST made an engine like that - of course there have been many rear-intake disk and drum valve engines over the years all the way back to the Dooling and McCoy).

Brett
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:06:10 PM by Brett Buck »

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 12:11:20 PM »
  To me, it doesn't have the "look" of a speed engine. Too many cooling fins. I think you may be correct in it's intention for carrier use. That rear end may even be some sort of home brew assembly. Maybe post this or at least call attention to it in the carrier section. Some of the long timers there may recognize it.
 Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 12:46:30 PM »
Brett,  I think you are correct.  I can see the disc when I look in the intake port there.  Been a while since I dug this uot so forgot about it.    I did find a couple of ST reviews uploaded  that talka bout the G60 R and RV engine's.  Looks like the frist ones were reviewed in 1965 or 66 maybe.  Looking at this G60R review, and seeing the same prop spinner base, I suspect mine may be the G65 R.  I'll have to clean it and and all and see what condition it is really in.  You can see the disc in the picture on page two. I did add  a post in the Carrier section., will see what we turn up!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 02:17:08 PM by Dennis Holler »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 05:13:24 PM »
it came out about the same time as the Rossi 65 ,didnt seem to have the power of the Rossi bit was a steady runner and well built.they were easy to use. have 2 of them in my stash
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here