News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:55:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre G20/.19 engine ????  (Read 1123 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Super Tigre G20/.19 engine ????
« on: August 17, 2021, 09:22:32 AM »
         Hi All:

Does this engine have spi?

Does it have a baffle on top of the piston?

How many ball bearings does it have?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Super Tigre G20/.19 engine ????
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 11:28:57 AM »
 Hi.
The G20/19 (like many other S.T.) has undergone many changes over the years.  The first edition had the head made of casting, the piston had a baffle and two rings, the shaft was supported by a rear ball bearing and a front plane bushing.  The various modifications resulted in an engine with a machined head, a flat piston without a ring and two ball bearings.  I have no information regarding S.P.I.  but I would not rule it out especially in the first versions, the big brother G20/23 originally had two small open corners at the base of the exhaust port with the piston at the TDC.

Massimo

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 07:36:54 AM »
     Hello Massimo:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have never owned a G20/.19 but my friend flies one.  Of course it is a very fine running engine!

I have run many G20/.23 engines and they run very well if one omits a muffler! With a muffler and spi, the power is reduced about.40 percent!  They are a fun sport engine.

Stay well,

Frank McCune

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 05:48:24 PM »
Back in about 1949, I owned a Super Tigre G-19.  It was .29 cuin with a sand-cast crankcase.  It's main feature was an exhaust stack on each side.  I think it had ball bearings, but not sure.  I believe it was intended as a racing engine, although I used it for free flight with a 10 inch prop.  So it never got overr 9K RPM.

It was just another engine to me, and I later sold it for next to nothing.  I now realize my mistake!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here