News:

• May 22, 2024, 07:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New piston for B40  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
New piston for B40
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
I removed my sons B40 from his P 40 to do some cleaning and inspection. Long story short- I found the small end of the con rod had worn out. I ordered a new piston / rod assembly from Brodak but even after cleaning all the Castor deposits from the liner it will not go in, way too tight. Is this common? Can I hand fit the piston to the liner by using some kind of compound? And by the way.... which way does that oil hole on the big end face  ??? Guess I was sleeping when I took it out.
Waiting for warm weather in PA
Thanks
Tom

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: New piston for B40
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
I removed my sons B40 from his P 40 to do some cleaning and inspection. Long story short- I found the small end of the con rod had worn out. I ordered a new piston / rod assembly from Brodak but even after cleaning all the Castor deposits from the liner it will not go in, way too tight. Is this common? Can I hand fit the piston to the liner by using some kind of compound? And by the way.... which way does that oil hole on the big end face  ??? Guess I was sleeping when I took it out.
Waiting for warm weather in PA
Thanks
Tom

Normally, piston and liner are a matched set. You can't generally mix/match them. Can't you use the original piston with the new connecting rod?

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
If you do a search of the site there is mention of how tight fitting the Brodak 40 is so perhaps its meant to be the way you have it.

And it seems that Brodak do not sell matched sets of pistons and liners so they must be very confident with their CNC machines!
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »
If you do a search of the site there is mention of how tight fitting the Brodak 40 is so perhaps its meant to be the way you have it.

And it seems that Brodak do not sell matched sets of pistons and liners so they must be very confident with their CNC machines!

You mean "someone in the Crimea's" CNC machines?

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »
As far as the oil hole orientation goes, I would be far more interested if there is a radius on one side of the big end journal - if you have one then the radius goes up against the crank web.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »

This is so tight, the piston will not reach the top of the liner. I will probably re-use the original piston, that was still in good shape.
Thanks

Online Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »

This is so tight, the piston will not reach the top of the liner. I will probably re-use the original piston, that was still in good shape.
Thanks

I would give John Brodak a call or send him an email.  He will most likely offer a solution.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »

This is so tight, the piston will not reach the top of the liner.

If your trying to push it up by hand, then no it won't go to the top. That's as it should be. Tight.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
i bought a piston for a B25 ,when i got it it would fall through the liner   ,i talked to John at the KOI  and he had me send him my P/L and they fit a new piston to my old liner and it runs good , i also broke a 25 crankshaft after i deiselizd it and he replaced the crank free of charge  give him a call
rad racer

Offline Mike Greb

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
Last summer i bought a 25 liner from brodak, but he was out of the piston and rod assembly.  I found a store that had an piston assembly , but the piston would not even start in the liner. By selling the Liner and piston separably there is a low probability of the parts fitting right.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here