News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre 35  (Read 13976 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Super Tigre 35
« on: May 02, 2022, 12:13:13 PM »
 Was going through my engine stash and found a brand new Super Tigre 35.  Documentation shows both the stunt and combat versions.  Looked inside the cylinder and confirmed the piston was a flat top.  Question is do I have a combat or stunt engine?
 Regards,
Brew

Note : Plain bearing engine
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 08:02:33 PM by Harold Brewer »

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super Tigre 35
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 12:14:11 PM »
Combat.  If baffled, stunt version and gets better fuel mileage.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 06:37:05 PM »
   Also the combat model was made with and wihout ballbearings. Stunt models do not have them
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 06:40:15 PM »
If it's ball bearing, does it have a 2 on one of the mounting lugs?

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 07:23:00 PM »
The one you have there is the 'combat' version, though next to nobody ever used it for combat.  It is plain bearing so most found their way onto a profile carrier where BB's weren't allowed .  The G 21 .35 BB was the engine used mostly for combat and was quite a bit more energetic that the 'C' combat plain bearing.  Neither were ever thought to be much of a stunt engine but could be more manageable with the the stock small venturi like yours.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 08:11:54 PM »
Egad ;

Ran one in the Phantom for test . THIRSTYEST .

The Gardner ABC P/L he mightve made ? go in .
some are P.D.P. ( I have one still maybe ) .

Not a total dead loss . The Liners a Spare for a 21 / 35 . ! LL~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 08:20:10 PM »
As someone mentioned em , ' our ' 21/35s have room for BALL BEARINGS in the case . Compare . ( 21 Series case is BB 29, 35, 40, 46 ordinarilly )

Though these older " 21 / 35 " s came baffled , ringed and in the last few years , Very Similar liner to the  monoblock one . ( same but shorter length )

In 1954 a lapped piston version of this model had become available, reflecting the parallel change which had been made to the G.20 at the same time. In 1956 Garofali took steps to further increase the range of applications for which the G.21 was suitable. A new version of the G.21 called the G.21/35 was released which had an increased displacement of 5.235 cc (0.32 cuin.). The larger displacement was achieved by increasing both the bore and stroke of the engine to 19.5 mm and 18.0 mm respectively.

This variant utilized the same crankcase as the contemporary 1956 version of the 4.82 cc G.21, having an integrally-cast backplate with four "eyes" at the corners. However, it featured a new bolt-on front end with a bronze bushing taking the place of the former twin ball-races. In addition, the intake was now angled forward instead of being dead vertical. The lapped piston was retained in this variant.

This model represented the first “crack in the wall” with respect to the Super Tigre model identification system. The ongoing use of the G.21 crankcase casting with its cast-on identification ensured that the G.21 name would continue. However, this model was aimed squarely at the emerging international market for control-line stunt engines in the .35 cuin. category, hence having the 35 suffix attached to its name.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 08:23:13 PM »
Yer wanns check the SUB PISTON INDUCTION . my PDP ( i think ) has a .020 steel narrow shim UNDER the top liner flange . No Doubt POST this test ! .http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/ST%2035%20RC.html

ALSO got one of these ' STUNT ' .35 p.b. , though Ive not run it . http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/ST%20C.35%20Stunt.html

Eithers really the sort of thing you might throw in a Sterling or Goldberg profile , or Light Fox .35 type device .

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 05:28:06 AM »
I have a stunt version with Gardner sleeve in a Nobler. Runs nice.  Comparable to a Fox .35

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
Some of us might disagree with the statement about the .35C being seldom used or unliked for combat useage. I had two of them, one stock and one I modified. The modified one actually went very fast. Both liked more prop pitch than the G.21 .35 I had. The one I modified would pull a stock Sneaker to 116 mph without streamer on Fox Blast (50% nitro), and about 105 on Missile Mist, but only 97 on MM with a 9-7 Tornado nylon. The 116 was on a full 9-8 Tornado nylon.

While it eventually wore out the piston/cylinder fit, neither of the two .35C's I had ever broke, which was something I couldn't say about the other brands of combat engines I tried...those ALL broke in one way or another. I did eventually conclude that ST replacement parts were 2nds and were clearly substandard. It's possible that the junk parts came to USA and not to other countries/importers...maybe.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 05:15:56 AM »
We used the 35C for Profile Carrier, Slow Combat and Sport Racing when those events allowed only plain bearing motors.  It was the best choice then and is still a  great choice.   TS

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 02:05:44 PM »
   Also the combat model was made with and wihout ballbearings. Stunt models do not have them
Ed

Well, sorta, sorta not. The OP's engine is a "C" case, which was available in Combat and Stunt versions...also with a throttle for the Profile Navy Carrier event when it first came to be. And R/C, I suppose. The G.21 designation engines were all ball bearing engines. It's possible that some parts would interchange between the G.21 .35 and the C .35, but I don't recall ever comparing the P/N lists and sure didn't try swapping parts around, since the two C .35's I had never broke. Still have the C .35's...and probably more, plus some stunt versions. Somebody make me an offer!

I didn't keep the G.21 .35 all that long, because mine didn't go very fast....97 mph on 9-7 Tornado nylon and Missle Mist. Most guys eventually ran 8-8's (and more nitro than yours) on the G.21, and then they'd blow up...crank, I think. I sold my G.21 .35 to Mike Haverly, and I guess he wore it out while he was stationed in San Diego.  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Philip THOMAS

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 07:59:44 PM »
Hello chaps! I read this thread with interest! I’m about to start a Stinger build and I fancy a characterful engine in such a cool plane. I have a new super Tigre c 35 baffle piston, and was planning to use that. I’ve also got a few good fox 35s and an original fox stuffer/hemi kit, would that still be better? I’m planning to compete with it, although I’m far from an expert. I believe stingers usually come out tail heavy so the heavier and presumably more powerful ST may balance better . Also lots of others on the shelf, Johnson ss, FP 35 etc etc. thoughts? Cheers PT

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2023, 07:24:33 AM »
PT: The Stinger is a great flying plane.
I built mine around 25 years ago with a few minor modifications.

I won the kit at a raffle and upon examining it, I noticed a lot of unnecessarily thick wood, especially on the fuselage sides and the tail surfaces.
Simple modifications:
Made the fuselage sides from 3/32 balsa, laminating carbon fiber/epoxy on the inner sides.
Made the stabilizer from 5/16 balsa, elevator(s) from 1/4 and the rudder from 1/8.
Per Dale Kirn's suggestion, I powered it with a STOCK (except for an OS NVA) Fox 35 turning a 9 1/2 - 6 APC prop, 3 1/2 ounce non-uniflow tank, Brodak 10/23 fuel and 60 foot .015 lines.
It balanced perfectly with the Fox, needing absolutely ZERO trim adjustments.
I run it screaming lean, taking advantage of the fact that it performs best when flying fast.

It is an absolute joy to fly but keep in mind that with the V-tail, it requires more down elevator for outside maneuvers.

Seems like you've acquired a nice assortment of engines and all should work well in the Stinger but in my opinion, the Fox 35 is the way to go. Keep in mind that the cheek cowl is rather small and may not accommodate larger engines.
I'm glad I took Dale's advice regarding engine choice.

Best of luck,
Bob Z.

Offline Philip THOMAS

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2023, 07:27:20 PM »
PT: The Stinger is a great flying plane.
I built mine around 25 years ago with a few minor modifications.

I won the kit at a raffle and upon examining it, I noticed a lot of unnecessarily thick wood, especially on the fuselage sides and the tail surfaces.
Simple modifications:
Made the fuselage sides from 3/32 balsa, laminating carbon fiber/epoxy on the inner sides.
Made the stabilizer from 5/16 balsa, elevator(s) from 1/4 and the rudder from 1/8.
Per Dale Kirn's suggestion, I powered it with a STOCK (except for an OS NVA) Fox 35 turning a 9 1/2 - 6 APC prop, 3 1/2 ounce non-uniflow tank, Brodak 10/23 fuel and 60 foot .015 lines.
It balanced perfectly with the Fox, needing absolutely ZERO trim adjustments.
I run it screaming lean, taking advantage of the fact that it performs best when flying fast.

It is an absolute joy to fly but keep in mind that with the V-tail, it requires more down elevator for outside maneuvers.

Seems like you've acquired a nice assortment of engines and all should work well in the Stinger but in my opinion, the Fox 35 is the way to go. Keep in mind that the cheek cowl is rather small and may not accommodate larger engines.
I'm glad I took Dale's advice regarding engine choice.

Best of luck,
Bob Z.

Thanks again Bob, that’s very helpful. Having a ball down here in Australia, much more fun than when I was a teenager. I guess having unlimited pocket money is a bonus!! The internet, e commerce and this forum have also accelerated my skill set markedly. Now if only my 16 yr old son was so obsessed… but he wants to fly F35s…

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 07:29:49 PM »
Harumph .

Only S ' C '  35 ive seen flown , wasnt astoundingly powerfull . But the italians back then ( 1960's ) were happy with them  .
the airione , it might have been . The typical 48 inch spar stunt wing - F2B intl. comp. ship . UNMUFFLED .
Some of the early engines get a bit disapoiinting muffled .

The ' C ' 35 - S , were built for years . Later ones had muffler mount lugs . So , firing it up on a 10 x 6 and going from there might tell you something .
However a FP .35 has likely the most user friendly thing . And WEIGHT .

If the S T is a Good One , It'd be good . early ones were built tight & hard , so bed in over a  l  o  n  g    t i m e  . If it hasnt been mistreatded it could go well .

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2023, 05:16:41 PM »
Recalling my C.35 (Combat) on short nosed combat models, I thought it vibrated a bit. It would seem likely that the C.35 (Stunt) would vibrate more, with the weight of the baffle added to the piston.

At first, I was wondering WTF a "Viper" is/was, but then realized it's the Dale Kirn OTS that Brodak kits. A short nose, small tank compartment...hmmm...the .35FP sounds better for fuel economy and vibration. I don't think the Viper is too large for a .25FP and maybe even a .21FP.  H^^ Steve

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2023, 07:01:27 AM »
Hi, Steve.
I’m not aware of a Brodak kit called a Viper.
The one I mentioned earlier is the Stinger and it is an outstanding OTS performer.
Bob Z.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2023, 04:06:01 PM »
Ok, got me on that one.  H^^ Steve

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2023, 04:22:02 PM »
Hello chaps! I read this thread with interest! I’m about to start a Stinger build and I fancy a characterful engine in such a cool plane. I have a new super Tigre c 35 baffle piston, and was planning to use that. I’ve also got a few good fox 35s and an original fox stuffer/hemi kit, would that still be better? I’m planning to compete with it, although I’m far from an expert. I believe stingers usually come out tail heavy so the heavier and presumably more powerful ST may balance better . Also lots of others on the shelf, Johnson ss, FP 35 etc etc. thoughts? Cheers PT

Phillip: In case you're interested, here are two photos of my Stinger, built in 2003.
PERFECT with a Fox 35!!
Bob Z.

Offline Philip THOMAS

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2023, 05:08:18 PM »
Looks like a real Honey of a plane Bob. Sorry couldn't resist,  "Dad joke". 

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »
You won't bee disappointed!

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2024, 08:57:21 PM »
Love the stinger very cute Bob nice build!!!

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2024, 06:26:13 PM »
Ed

The plain bearing ones are "C series", while the ball bearing ones are G.21 series. Some parts might interchange, but I liked the C series Combat. Mine went fast, started well and never broke. One went straight through a Johnson .35C with barely a scratch on the ST.  :) Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here