News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:24:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST60 - Is it possible to get piston rings?  (Read 973 times)

Teodorico Terry

• Trade Count: (0)
ST60 - Is it possible to get piston rings?
« on: November 17, 2021, 10:42:20 AM »
Hi -

A friend of mine who lives in Peru has 4 ST60s which are in good working order and which he would like to keep  using for a while longer.  He asked to see if it possible to get piston rings for those engines here in the U.S.  I have a couple of questions:

1)  Is it possible to get replacement rings and if so where?
2) To keep the engines running would it make more sense to replace the piston, ring and liner?  I am wondering if he has the right idea or if he is going to need additional parts.

Thank you,

Teo
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:52:59 PM by Teodorico Terry »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ST60 - Is it possible to get piston rings?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 10:53:18 AM »
Hi -

A friend of mine who lives in Peru has 4 ST60s which are in good working order and which he would like to keep  using for a while longer.  He asked to see if it possible to get piston rings for those engines here in the U.S.  I have a couple of questions:

1)  Is it possible to get replacement rings and if so where?
2) To keep the engines running would it make more sense to replace the piston, ring and liner?  I am wondering if he has the right idea or if he is going to need additional parts.

Thank you,

Teo

Teo

Contact someone with a Super Tigre parts listing and familiarize yourself with the ST part number for the ST.60 ring, and keep your eyes open for parts as they show up on eBay and any other parts hoarder you may know. Email randy Smith through the forums here and see what he has and he should be able to help with the correct part number. Frank Bowman sold his business off to a new owner, and he has a listing in the venders section under Franks name still with email contact. There should still be some one out there than can help you. You may want to check with Brian Gardner to see if he has any ST.60 ABC set ups on hand or has plans to make another run. You can search him out in the members list and contact him in Australia for information. Brian does excellent work!!  Good luck with the project.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 06:44:49 PM »
Teo,
Contact Randy Smith, at Aero Products, he should have ST60 rings and other parts. Bowman rings are good also for just rings.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 07:04:02 PM »
Teo,
If the gentleman wants to replace piston ring and liner Brian Gardner is taking numbers for a new run of ST 60 ABC sets, hopefully early next year.

Send him a PM with tge name and how many are required.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 07:40:37 AM »
Thank you guys for the information I will chase after it and see if I can get some piston rings for my friend.

Teo

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 08:54:16 PM »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/gcpistonrings?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Lkely the same ones ?

My recent Bowman ones all came t 6 or so thou. so if you wan em tight , from there , gettem ungapped .

My thinking is the two S T part umbers may be for the chromed bore 7 the unchromed bore varieties .
Youd assume a soft ring for the chrome bore 7 a hard or cromed ring for the unchromed bore .

Later Norton ( Commando ) top rings were chromed , theyed let oil by for about 2.000 miles ,then they were seated and lasted twice as long .

Stories of Eraly S Tigres being ' to toughened ' meaning they took a bit of care to loosen off . Wereas a lotta stuff was set up looser . and softer .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here