News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:44:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the best way to protect the needle valve on a profile plane?  (Read 1943 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
      Hi All:

What is the best method to protect the needle in the nva on a profile during an inverted landing?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What is the best way to protect the needle valve on a profile plane?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »
Best is rear NV, mounted parallel with the engine's cylinder...IMO. The Magnum/ASP remotes are quite nice, but I haven't actually run one myself. I put two on MECOA .28's, but those went to Glenn Reach (and haven't heard a word about how they ran, OBTW!).

I've run the OS .25LA with the stock RNV and didn't like it at all, but the threads are loose, NV wobbles like Elvis, so they leak badly.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
The OS FP 20 remote needle valve is very nice.  The only complaint I have is that the fuel can pull back from the spray bar to the needle before you get the engine started -- this makes the prime more critical if you're hand-flipping, but if you get it right the fuel gets to the spray bar before the engine cuts out.

If you're still crashing often, I'd say the advantage of not bending needle valves all the time outweighs the disadvantages.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »
bend a piece of 3/32 music wire into a U shape,, about an inch or so long,, stick it into the top of the fuse next to the needle valve so that the u is taller than the needle,, now when you flip over it will hit the U instead of the needle
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:58:14 AM »
If your fingers still work ok (no carpal, no diabetic numbness or whatever) and you keep your wits about you when the engine lights up, cut the needle back to the clicker. Adjust needle by carefully spinning the disk. Saves the needle. Possibly shreds your fingers.

Offline Robert-Jan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 03:30:53 AM »
http://lijnbesturing.nl/index.php/informatie/fotos?view=album&album=5699869323582862289&page=1

look at picture #19 and 20.
Put an aluminum elbow behind the needle and mount it at the engine.
We have "test" it many times  :)

Greetings Robert-Jan

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
     Hello Robert-Jan et.al.

Thanks for the replies.

I have some aluminum angle stock that will work well for making a needle guard.

I mounted a wheel on the top of the nose just for laughs.  Looks very crude but effective! Lol

Stay well,

Frank

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »
On Fox needles or any other ones that are solid, I just cut the end off and bend them over like a Super Tigre needle. I have never broken on by doing that and they are still easy to adjust.
Jim Kraft

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
Back in the day we used to use a piece of plywood bolted on the outside using the engine bolts.. it sticks up but works like a charm... we used to also put a single wheel sticking up... mostly for touch and go's inverted..

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
     Hi All:

Thanks for the replies!

On one plane, I put a very thin, 1/8" wheel mounted via the top front engine mounting bolt that protects the needle valve well.

On another, I made a bracket from aluminum as pictured in one of the replies.  It seemed to be too much labour for the task.

If I fabricate another "guard" it will be a very simple piece of plywood or aluminum attached by the engine mounting bolts on the outside of the fuselage.

Stay well my friends,

Frank

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
I have always liked the coil spring Enya type needle valve posts - hard to seriously  hurt something that will simply spring back in place after being knocked
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »
Try planting the plane hard inverted. Those spring NV's will break. I have done it.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 03:39:19 AM »
Try planting the plane hard inverted. Those spring NV's will break. I have done it.
Sounds like a face plant of the quality that you are describing would break off any protrusion Garf.

My point is the more flexible it is the less that it will need protection in the first place - kinda solves the problem before it starts.

Angling the needle valve back will also give some modicum of protection.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
Just before you land give it full down then full up and bonk it square on the nose.

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here