News:

• May 05, 2024, 07:43:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Tank Size For .09 Engine  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fuel Tank Size For .09 Engine
« on: April 23, 2017, 01:12:45 AM »
OK. So I was complaining mentioning earlier of my short engine runs. I just did the math and even though I knew my tank was small, it is only a 1 oz tank. So, As the only other metal tank I have is a lot bigger, what size fuel tank would you recommend for a .09 size engine. I will probably go clunk as thet is all my LHS carries. Unless I get the groove on and build one. Anyways, thank you in advance for your help.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »
I guess it depends on the plane and what or how you want to fly...  I would think..and thanks just my rookie not knowing too much self is thinking....  1 1/4oz - 2oz seems good.  But again. Just depends.

I use a 2oz wedge tank with my OS.25LA and FP and get a decent amount of flight time to do whatever.  So 2oz might be too much. 

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Fuel Tank Size For .09 Engine
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 08:43:58 PM »
We had ever used 30-35cc tanks for sport flights and 40-50cc tanks for F2B full patterns.

Aki

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
Thanks James for your input. We can all learn from each other. It does just look rather small on there. It is a 'Platter' style plane just for logging airtime and practicing possible inverted flight and loops. Nothing more.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »
  Chancey;
    Air time and runs will differ a bit from bench running. Centrifugal force affects the fuel flow. Start off with a two ounce tank and see what the run time is. If it's too long, use a small syringe to measure a precise amount of fuel for what we refer to as "short tanking" an engine run. I always put is a larger tank than I think I need, about 25 to 30 percent more if possible. Air temperature affects run time, colder air requires more fuel, and shorter runs, warmer air less fuel and longer runs. Use a stop watch to time the runs as closely as you can. once you become familiar with the drill, is becomes second nature, Knowing how long it will run on a specific amount of fuel and paying attention to your watch will let you know when you are almost out of fuel and you won't have enough for one more loop or wing over. That can save you an airplane when the engine quits when you don't want it too!
    Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here