News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:21:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Side winder 4strokes  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Side winder 4strokes
« on: January 04, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »
It looks like my first attempt at four stroke power is going to be a Saito 72 in a kit strega or a saito 30 in an old goldberg shoestring profile. Is it worth the effort to convert the strega kit to a sidewinder mounted engine. I am definately going to shorten the nose but am a little hesitant to rotaet the engine to sidewinder unless it makes a big difference in getting a good run out of it. I really want a good flying simple set up. I need lots of flying time not problem solving time. How about it Proparc and Bob Zambelli, and the rest of you guys that enjoy success of from grunt power.  Ps I have got two Saito 30's two 40's and the 72
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: Side winder 4strokes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:22:09 PM »
If you put the engine in sideways, I'll choke you!! ??? You're not seriously going to mess up the lines of a Strega like that are you? Why?  I have had my big block mounted just about every which way and surprise; the engine starts faster inverted because DUH, the carburetor is upside down.

RC cats mount Saito's in just about every degree of a 360 degree circle with no problems,(i've seen it). In fact, mounting the motor with the muffler pointing straight down is the hippest IMHO.

Needless to say, its your plane and you proceed as you see fit, (check out that politically correct disclaimer). But, mount it normally and just make sure you have sufficient access to choke the carb\venturi like I did on mine and you should have no problems,(check out that total disregard of the aforementioned disclaimer).

Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 03:02:50 AM »
Hi Gordon,

I mounted the 56 on my Score sideways because everyone that really knows said they draw fuel better at it was fairly easy to do. However I would not do it on a Strega, too much rework and many have 76's inverted that are running well.

As far as being able to choke it, I never choke my 56, (couldn't get to the venturi if I wanted to). It's on muffler pressure and I just put my finger over the muffler outlet and turn it through a couple of times. The exhaust stroke pressurizes the fuel tank and forces fuel into the venturi. Don't worry about being able to get a finger over the venturi it simply isn't necessary.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:06:48 AM »
Gordon - while I do not have much experience with the .72, I can say that ALL my 4S engines run better on their sides - from my OS .20 up to the SAITO .56.

I have done extensive comparison and whenever possible, I opt for side mounting.

I am designing a three engined plane powered by three Surpass .26s. I have flown this setup on a test plane and the engines run flawlessly on their side.

Regarding the Strega, it would be a cosmetics issue, as the plane was really designed for inverted mounting.

AND, 4S engines seem to start best that way, as Milton pointed out.

Bob Z.

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 06:57:09 PM »
OK ! OK! Slap me naked, hide my clothes! I just want to build a nice flying plane. I will mount the 72 inverted in the strega. It will be in the air sooner that way. The saito 30 will be sideways on the shoestring. Since I have two of the 30's will this size fly a portly profile 48" mustang from Richards Kits or is it too small?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »
I ain,t never seen boat motors mounted on the side....... ;D LL~

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »
Hi, Phil - boat motors??????????????????

Clue me in!!

Bob Z.

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 10:27:14 AM »
I'm not going sidewinder, but am going back and forth between a Saito .72 i have and purchasing a Rojett .76. If i put the Saito in my Strega no mods, what is the weigth penalty at the back? I know i can cut the nose off, but that's too much work. I brought the Strega ARF to get in the air and just fly. #^ Ron

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »
Hi, Ron - according to Windy, the RoJett is ideal for the Strega ARF.
He's really enthusiastic about it.

I'm pretty sure he just runs a rear exhaust.

Bob Z.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 06:57:50 PM »
Hi Ron,
I would have to concur with Bob on this one concerning the Saito 72\Rojett 76. You really have to know your business when it comes to the 72.  I said it quite some time ago and I will repeat it here, the big block is not a beginners motor. It is very different from the 40A and the 56. Granted, if you know what you are doing, it is second to none when it comes to delivering serious big time rock steady power.

The Rojett 76 is a purpose dedicated stunt motor. And, unless your engine skills are first rate for the 72; may be the better way to go.  I am about to purchase the Saito 62 and as much as I love my 72, I suspect the new 62 will get the bulk of my stunt work as it is somewhat more "mainstream" than the big block.  Although, the big block will still be first out of the shute on the next plane,(no substitute for that power).
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 09:47:13 PM »
"" It is very different from the 40A and the 56. Granted, if you know what you are doing, it is second to none when it comes to delivering serious big time rock steady power.""

Hi Milton

Have to say  I disagree  with that statement, I sell Saitos  and  run and  test most everything, Nothing wrong with Saitos , they are  great engines however the Saito 72 is not "second to none" on rock steady power, the PA 75 will turn a 15 inch prop with more authority, is very tailorable up or down.  and  at  12 ounces  is the power to weight ratio king in its class of Big block engines

Regards
Randy

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »
Sorry Randy. When it comes to you and your work, i'll gladly put the big block in second place compared to your big Merlins. We all know that when it comes to stunt motors you are THE MAN!!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 01:30:24 PM »
On a serious note. Control precision aerobatic powerplants has been defined by 3 separate and distinct eras. The first MODERN era was define by Duke Fox and his venerable Fox 35 powerplant. The second distinct era was defined by Jaurez Garafoli and his incredible Supertigre 46\60 combination. The third distinct era was AND IS defined by Randy Smith and his line of PA precision aerobatic motors.

At every stage in each respective era, there were high quality viable alternatives to the aforementioned motors. But, these products were so definitive in the design and execution, as to literally set the standard by which all other similar products are judged.

Make no mistake about it, quite some years back we entered the era as defined by Randy Smith and his vision as to what the world class CLPA powerplant needs to be, and as far as I can ascertain, we will remain there for quite some time.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here