Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST V60  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
ST V60
« on: June 17, 2006, 09:13:51 AM »
I recently acquired what is supposed to be a ST V60 but the area inside of the "V" where the size would be cast is milled off and the number 60 is stamped there. Is it probable that this was originally a 56 that has been converted to a 60? The other V60's I have seen all have this number cast in, not stamped. What are bore and stroke dimensions for these two eng. and possibly  other notable differences. Thanks, Gordon in Sacramento.   Really like this site! No B.S.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
Re: ST V60
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 10:03:12 AM »
I have several ST 60, 56, and 51 engines V type engines.  One of the 60 is what they refer to as a "blue head" and it has the 60 cast in. I believe the blue head is actually reffered to as a "G" type but does have a V  on the crankcase.  The other two are V60s and are light cases without muffler lugs and the 60 is stamped.  The 56 engine is cast and the 51 is stamped.

I have an old World Engines ST catalog and thought the bore and stroke would be shown in it but it is not.  It does show some part numbers .  One of my 60 Light Cases is marked BB60/2 on one of the mounting lugs.  A 51 would be marked BB51/2 and a 56 marked BB56/3.

I think what you will find out ultimately is that the 51, 56, and 60 cases are all similar in size.  Meaning a case may have been made for a 56 but assembled as a 60, therefore the 56 was milled off and 60 then stamped on.

I know this is not exactly what you asked for  but I hope is helpfull

Thomas

Eric Viglione

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 12:25:58 PM »
I would venture to say ST60's are like a box of chocolates... ;D heh...(It's almost as bad as asking one of the Fox Racer guys what is the exact dimensions of a bone stock Fox .35. Know one seems to know. )

The ST60, like the Fox 35, seemed to wander around the map quite a bit over the production cycle. Some with thin sleeves, thick sleeves, chrome, no chrome, muffler bosses, no bosses, standard loop porting, PDP porting ,56 with 60 cranks, 60's with 56 cranks. I never cease to be amazed when I open one up. I've stockpiled enough parts to keep my various versions running, whatever they may need, heh, which is always one solution.

I've got one ST60 from several years ago that I jokingly refer to as "Franken-Tigre".  At the time, all I could find were the longer con rods, so I used one. I figured, " what the heck, why not"?. It also had a bigger boss on the lower con rod crank pin hole, so I had to dremel out the case a little for clearance.

It had the effect of dropping the sleeve timing with the longer rod, and I had to use a lot of head shim to get clearance to the piston top. BUT.... you wanna know something? It's turned out to be one sweet running little monster. Deepest 4 cycle I ever heard out of a ST60, likes super low RPM and will swing a 13x6 in heavy wind without windup.

Sorry to ramble, enjoy your Tigre, they are fun motors and most all of them run decently enough if the ring not worn and is installed properly.

EricV

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:33:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. Eric how long was the longer rod. This sounds like something I would like to fiddle around with as I also build my V8 engines with the longest rod I can put in them and still keep a reliable ring stack on the piston.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Eric Viglione

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:00:48 PM »
Sorry it took a while to get back to you, but I really didn't want to tear down a motor to get you that measurement...heh. Hence, I'm giving you the over all length of exactly 2". It is not the center to center of the holes, but the full OD length of the rod. I was surprised it came out exactly at 2", and had to double check it with my other dial caliper, which concurred within .0040 longer of exactly 2". I don't have a stock rod handy, but they are significantly shorter, and you will not mistake one for the long version.

Eric Viglione

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 09:16:08 PM »
Thanks Eric, when I get ready to do this I probably will just make the rod myself. That will allow me to try different lengths.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here