News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST.56 early  (Read 660 times)

Offline Dennis Holler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
ST.56 early
« on: March 24, 2022, 04:11:55 PM »
Is this one of those early plain bearing .56's or is it really late.  I see it has the carb screws centered on the throat versus the pinch nut I am used to seeing.  What else is different between this and the later ball bearing versions? is the liner and piston the same?
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: ST.56 early
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 06:57:30 PM »

Far as I can figure , yours s a THIRD series . How many of the earlier four versions were differant / , good question ! .

First had lapped iron piston , and siezed a bit often in good ole U S A Summers , or the ( then ) usual close tolerance
hardened linerm took forever to run in fully . So openingem up early , they locked up .Seeing most people put them
straight in a plane and flew them .
==========================================================================
UNLIKELY its a SINGLE RING . ?
The two ring has the shorter rod . ( same as 51 & first 60 , single ring rods , theres two ' fits '  51 & 60 , maybe the 56 is the 51 one .)

EARLY 60s & 46's had thinner liners , larger / smaller case bore , to fit . The 56 would be similar perhaps .
The Dual ring being the one with the thinner liner .

=========================================================================

Got parts catalouges  , but not currently accessable . From Memory , the 56 parts swap out , B B to P B , bar where obvious ,
Im told the 56 & 60 run differant head bolt pitch circles . Wider head bolt pattern on 60s .

As Super Tigre might vary specs between runs , mikeing up ( Virneer ) check / comparison , even for the " right Part " is adviseable .
sometimes some people put production line reject parts , in the ' spares ' packets , on odd occasions . also .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 07:15:41 PM »

Far as I can figure , yours s a THIRD series . How many of the earlier four versions were differant / , good question ! .

First had lapped iron piston , and siezed a bit often in good ole U S A Summers , or the ( then ) usual close tolerance
hardened linerm took forever to run in fully . So openingem up early , they locked up .Seeing most people put them
straight in a plane and flew them .
==========================================================================
UNLIKELY its a SINGLE RING . ?
The two ring has the shorter rod . ( same as 51 & first 60 , single ring rods , theres two ' fits '  51 & 60 , maybe the 56 is the 51 one .)

EARLY 60s & 46's had thinner liners , larger / smaller case bore , to fit . The 56 would be similar perhaps .
The Dual ring being the one with the thinner liner .

=========================================================================

Got parts catalouges  , but not currently accessable . From Memory , the 56 parts swap out , B B to P B , bar where obvious ,
Im told the 56 & 60 run differant head bolt pitch circles . Wider head bolt pattern on 60s .

As Super Tigre might vary specs between runs , mikeing up ( Virneer ) check / comparison , even for the " right Part " is adviseable .
sometimes some people put production line reject parts , in the ' spares ' packets , on odd occasions . also .

Far as I know , it might be plain head , lapped .
                                   Low finned head , various P/L
                                 Tall finned Head , Dual Ring ( & perhaps later a single ring ? )

Have you that engine in your mitt , or is it a picture picked at random ?

ALSO there may well be the sub piston induction at the ex Port edges , with the piston at the T D C .

Opps . mw~

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 03:45:03 PM »
I got it now, was out of town for work for a couple of weeks.  It is pretty gummed up so I am soaking it now, may toss it in a crock pot if it chooses to stay stucky
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here