News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: thickness of the crankcase gasket for an OS MAX 25 FP?  (Read 892 times)

Offline Laurent V

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
thickness of the crankcase gasket for an OS MAX 25 FP?
« on: October 12, 2022, 07:13:00 AM »
Hello,

I am looking for the thickness of the crankcase gasket for an OS MAX 25 FP ?
Thanks for your help

Laurent

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: thickness of the crankcase gasket for an OS MAX 25 FP?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 09:50:05 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for your help

Laurent

I am assuming you mean for the rear cover ??  I use old playing cards because they seal well and are durable, so anywhere from that thickness down to  five or ten thousandths will work as long as the case and mating surface on the cover are smooth and clean. Some guys don't even use a gasket, just a thin, even layer of silicone sealer or liquid gasket compounds.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 12:31:21 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for your help

Laurent

I would guess about .005" (medium paper) , but, it's not at all critical. If the crankpin clears it when you pull the shaft all the way forward, it's OK.

Brett

Offline Laurent V

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 01:48:04 AM »
Thank you very much for your answers. I was able to do my first version ! It's cut with a laser in a thin cardboard sheet.

Regards

Laurent

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 12:44:06 AM »
The gasket pictured looks fine, but the backplate suggests there might not be a steel shim/washer between the propdriver and the front of the crankcase. There should be, most especially if you use an electric starter. The swirl on the face of the back cover indicates that the steel shim/washer is probably missing and possibly the use of a starter or LH propellers.

Allowing the crankpin to rub on the aluminum back cover will send aluminum through the engine, and the result isn't good. If the engine's life isn't important, the glowplug life will be short and drain your kid's college fund quickly, due to the current high price of glowplugs.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 12:39:27 PM »
The gasket pictured looks fine, but the backplate suggests there might not be a steel shim/washer between the propdriver and the front of the crankcase. There should be, most especially if you use an electric starter. The swirl on the face of the back cover indicates that the steel shim/washer is probably missing and possibly the use of a starter or LH propellers.

Allowing the crankpin to rub on the aluminum back cover will send aluminum through the engine, and the result isn't good. If the engine's life isn't important, the glowplug life will be short and drain your kid's college fund quickly, due to the current high price of glowplugs.  H^^ Steve

I have seen that on nearly every plain-bearing engine I have ever taken apart, it's not from the crankpin, it's from the conrod getting pushed off the back of the crank. I think that is normal. I would only do anything about it if the crankpin hits it, and that usually has plenty of clearance.

Note that this is why Marvin Denny invented the Fox "stuffer backplate". It wasn't for performance, it was to keep the conrod pushed up onto the pin, to reduce wear on the rod bearings. It had nothing to do with performance, it was durability when run hard in Foxberg racing.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here