News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:06:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scratches in cylinder... how deep is determental?  (Read 3628 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scratches in cylinder... how deep is determental?
« on: October 02, 2018, 09:02:56 AM »
         Hello All:

I have been struggling with not being able to get more compression than would be considered as next to nothing in an engine.   I had a new ring fitted but to no avail.  I pulled the p&c and noted that there were very fine "scratches around the entire cylinder.  These are so fine that they can only be seen via a magnifying glass and a bright light.  I think that they are just rub marks caused by the new ring.  They are 360 degrees in the cylinder and all the same depth and width.  Is this natural for a new ring that has not been run for more than 12 oz. of fuel on the bench.  The ring gap looks correct at .001 or less.

The p&c on my lapped engines look like corduroy but they still have and hold compression.

Thought and or suggestions!

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Scratches in cylinder... how deep is determental?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
do the scratches run  straight up and down,  or  do the run in a sideways spinning up and down direction?

Randy

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
      Hi Randy:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The "scratches: run the entire length of the cylinder wall and are parallel to the piston travel from the bottom to the top.   This is good? It means that the ring is an equal area cylinder abuser.  If the scratches were only present above the bottom of he stroke, then I would think that the cylinder/ring fit was bad.  In this scenario, It makes me think that the marks are not scratches but marks caused by burnishing the high spots off the cylinder wall.  Or could they be caused by irregularities on the face of the ring? No matter what the cause, no compression!!!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
It sounds like someone didn't hone the liner before fitting the ring -- I'm pretty sure that's required (but I await Randy's word).

There should be a light cross-hatching pattern in there, unless our model engines get a much different treatment than car engines.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:22:05 PM »
      Hi Tim:

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The engine in question is "new and unrun." It may have been messed with prior to my purchase.  The pin in the piston used to stop the ring from turning in its groove had to be replaced due to damage?????  A new ring was then fitted but alas alack, still no compression.

There is no sign of any hone work as the cylinder walls are mirror smooth.  Perhaps a light honing and all will be well.

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Perhaps a light honing and all will be well.

Don't do that on my word unless it's my engine!  Wait for Randy -- I was tossing out a guess to see if Randy agreed or stomped on me!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 08:54:31 PM »

:o :o

The Theory is , if you can feel it with your finger nail , Its WEAR - Not ' Polishing ' .

The double cross hatch / busted glaze - if the Bore is Shiney , is necessary when reringing .

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »
      Hi Randy:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The "scratches: run the entire length of the cylinder wall and are parallel to the piston travel from the bottom to the top.   This is good? It means that the ring is an equal area cylinder abuser.  If the scratches were only present above the bottom of he stroke, then I would think that the cylinder/ring fit was bad.  In this scenario, It makes me think that the marks are not scratches but marks caused by burnishing the high spots off the cylinder wall.  Or could they be caused by irregularities on the face of the ring? No matter what the cause, no compression!!!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Be well,

Frank McCune

Hi Frank

The surface  needs  a "cross hatch"  in the cylinder liner to help facilitate the break in of the ring, scratches running up and down the liner  will NOT do anything to help the ring seat,, and will actually hurt it, these were made by the  up and down motion of the piston, You can take a brake cylinder hone and rough up the surface before installing a new ring, the cylinder honing  CANNOT go just in a motion around the sleeve, it has to swirl  up and down, so you need  to move the  sleeve back and forth  while the hone is running, then remove the hone, switch the the opposite  end of the  sleeve , and  do the same process, you just need a light honing, do not  try  to grind on the  sleeve,  just enough to see the light swirl marks, after  clean it all well, and  fit a ring  with about .001  gap for non chromed, or .0025  for  a chromed liner.  I would spin  the engine  over  many times before cranking it, just put some  light oil in the cylinder, and  spin the prop with your  hand, many times  like several dozen, then spin  the other way, this will start the process of wearing in and the  ring seating, without  it getting  hot  and taking a chance of the end gaps touching, if the crosshatch is doing its job it will  open up the gap as it seats,  Some people  use a  drill  to spin the engine over, again  this will help seat the ring and  make sure its  not getting  too  hot.  Afterwards  when you run it on the  bench, run it  sloppy  rich, and do not  lean it until you have  2 or 3 runs on it,  Then you can pinch the fuel tube, and let it  burst into a  two stroke  for a few seconds, do this  at least a dozen or so times each run,  You will be able to tell quickly if teh ring seats in  well.
Hint  the  steel sleeve  will cut easy, the chrome one  will  take a much longer time.
another  Hint  I told you a while ago, some sleeves  will NOT  ever take a ring and seat properly,  that was  the reason  I suggested  a  New liner for one of you engines.
If you try to  breakin a ring  with the  type sleeve  you are  asking  about, it will NOT seal, and  you will just quickly ruin  the  ring,  Then you  will have to get another  NEW  ring  to install.

Randy
Also  if this  is  an  OS liner  with  nickle, then it is  toast !  you cannot  do anything  with them  except  for  honing and  having  the liner   chromed
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:22:56 PM by RandySmith »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:10:54 PM »
Frank   this is  what a  cross hatch looks like
and  is  the  only  way  to properly  get the  ring to seat in most all model plane engines

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »
The ring gap looks correct at .001 or less.

???

.010 Or Less . Er 004 to 006 actually , tho less than 005 on a 40 / 46 is only usual in the Arctic .

WHAT ENGINE IS THIS , PLEASE .

PS a shapened pencil tip , you shoul feel ' Ridges ' .

thinking its just your rings closed & bound , with heat . If its at ONE THOU. ( end gap ) . Do the finger nail on the ring trip , too ,
To see if its caught any Burrs .
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:06:57 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 10:56:18 PM »
???

.010 Or Less . Er 004 to 006 actually , tho less than 005 on a 40 / 46 is only usual in the Arctic .

WHAT ENGINE IS THIS , PLEASE .

PS a shapened pencil tip , you shoul feel ' Ridges ' .

thinking its just your rings closed & bound , with heat . If its at ONE THOU. ( end gap ) . Do the finger nail on the ring trip , too ,
To see if its caught any Burrs .

You are very welcome  to setup your engines  with a  5  6 or 10  thou gap, You will  Never have proper compression  or  engine life  with that, when the cross hatch wears  the ring in, rapidly, you will have an 8 to 14 thou  end  gap
GOOD LUCK with that !

Randy

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
         Hello Matt, Randy dt.al.:

The engine in question is a "new" OS SF .46.  I had plans of powering a Score ARF with it but I may have to resort to my ST .49 Sport.

Thanks for all of the replies,

Frank McCune

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »

The engine in question is a "new" OS SF .46.

If it's a new engine, why did you take it apart, and what did it do in flight that you did not like?

Brett

p.s. I presume you know that .006 end gap is too much, right? Might as well drill a hole in the piston...

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
The engine in question is a "new" OS SF .46.

How can a new, ringed engine not have crosshatching in the cylinder?  Just how much OLD is implied by your quote marks around "new"?
AMA 64232

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 07:08:19 PM »

The engine in question is a "new" OS SF .46.  I had plans of powering a Score ARF with it but I may have to resort to my ST .49 Sport.

Thanks for all of the replies,

Frank McCune

Hi Frank

How does a  new engine  have that many scratches  all over the  sleeve  up and down it,  do you think there was dirt and debris in it and  was  ran or turn over?  If it is run on the ground and held there  you can suck up enough  sand  and dirt  to ruin one  quickly

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 11:54:49 PM »
What Then is your Recomended ring gap ,

for say a OS 40
               OS 45
                ST 46
                  ST 60 .

H^^

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 12:16:08 AM »
What Then is your Recomended ring gap ,

for say a OS 40
               OS 45
                ST 46
                  ST 60 .

H^^

I have been setting them up since  1970 with these  specs, this assumes  that  you have a  round sleeve that has a crosshatch cut into it , so that  it will  facilitate  the ring wearing into the sleeve quickly,  If you have a   smooth  or  damaged  sleeve  all bets are  off
             OS 40    .001  inch
               OS 45     .001  in
                ST 46      .001 inch steel  0025 in if chrome
                  ST 60  .0015  if  steel   .0025 to .003  if  chrome unless it is a  NEW chrome sleeve  with a  full cross hatch  cut into it, then you can start at .002

I have done on my personal motors near  ZERO gap, and   NOT ran the motor  but turned it over  very fast by hand,  both direction  and  let the  cross hatch wear the ring in round  while is  is  NOT getting  HOT like it would  from  running it,  then I attach a  drill  to  the front of the  shaft  and  spin the  oiled engine over to wear it in until I see the the  ring open up, This  will happen  fairly fast.  I set my gaps  at the exhaust  and can normally see them, unless the ring is  spinning  if that  happens   I just remove the  head, clean out all the oil, and either  very light oil or  lighter fluid, turn the  crank  and  look inside,  you can see  the ring gap trail  up and down the  sleeve, After  its  opened  some,  I run it  very rich, and  do the procedure  I wrote  a  few posts  up

You may have trouble  re ringing and  OS engine  as they are  very difficult  to cut a  proper  crosshatch in, in that case,  just break the surface  and make sure  it is  scuffed,  this is  ONLY on OS Steel liners  and  not  ones  that have the  electroless nickel  plating

Another  info bit, if using a  brake hone, it will be  quick and  easy to  crosshatch  a  steel sleeve, a  Chrome will  will take many times  longer, and  you will not get marks as deep

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »
You may have trouble  re ringing and  OS engine  as they are  very difficult  to cut a  proper  crosshatch in, in that case,  just break the surface  and make sure  it is  scuffed,  this is  ONLY on OS Steel liners  and  not  ones  that have the  electroless nickel  plating

Another  info bit, if using a  brake hone, it will be  quick and  easy to  crosshatch  a  steel sleeve, a  Chrome will  will take many times  longer, and  you will not get marks as deep

This is all very accurate, but based on experience, I fear what might happen with the information!

On the steel liners, it's so easy that *people tend to overdo it*. I never did an OS, but the ST46 could be acceptably roughed up with a brake cylinder hone in a a few (maybe 10) passes at very low RPM or even by hand in a pinch. I have seen people take a Makita drill, jack it up to full speed, and grind away for 5 minutes. Not only does that start taking off significant material (as evidenced by all the black oil that flings everywhere), you have a problem with getting the right sort of cross-hatch- too shallow.

Point being is that *you have to be careful*, do it only when actually necessary - that is, you have a problem with the engine in-flight or you have a slow degeneration of the power over many flights - and you have no other choice. The slow degeneration depends on your situation, but on the ST46 it tended to manifest itself as having to set the ground RPM lower and lower as it wore out. You might start out needing 8400 rpm at launch to get a particular speed, and over the period of many flights, it will have to be set slower and slower to get the right in-flight speed. My cutoff, with the stock prop, was 7800 and sea level, when it got to that, it was time for a new ring. Everyone else's numbers will be different, but with an average-quality 80's manufacture ring that might be 100 flights, with a very good ring, it might be 500-600.

There is something missing in this story - we started with a "new, unrun" engine, and somehow it's now been taken apart with what sounds like significant wear, and as near as I can tell, never flown, then had a new ring from somewhere, by someone, installed. So there is no information on whether it actually ran OK, in-flight,  in the first place

Brett

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
     Hello Brett et. al.:

The engine in question appears to have never been run,  There are no signs of combustion on the inside even though I ran 16 oz. of fuel through while running it on the bench.  There are no washer marks on the lugs.

There are no loose or tight spots in the p&c as the ring is moved through the length of its travel.  There was no light escaping around the ring when viewed with a bright light.  There is no leakage around the cylinder head sleeve joint.  The ring gap as very small.  The smallest feeler gage that I had was .003" and it would not begin to enter the gap.  I could not see any open area between the ends of the rings.  There is just almost NO compression.

Perhaps I should abandon this fool's errand and just be happy to use an electric starter.  Or perhaps I should borrow a brake cylinder hone and have at crosshatching.  I have done this this many times with lawnmower type engines and never had a problem. 

I purchased this engine to power a Score ARF but perhaps ST .49 Sport, HP .40, Fox .45 or the ASP 61 would do a good job in providing power for the Score.  The ASP .61 is a large, 20 oz., engine that may be squeezed into the Score.  It is also a very powerful engine rated at over 2.25 h.p.

Advice and suggestions welcomed.

Be well,

Frank

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »

Stop messing around.  Get some 46LAs or Tower 40s and concentrate on flying.
AMA 64232

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
    This is all very accurate, but based on experience, I fear what might happen with the information!

On the steel liners, it's so easy that *people tend to overdo it*. I never did an OS, but the ST46 could be acceptably roughed up with a brake cylinder hone in a a few (maybe 10) passes at very low RPM or even by hand in a pinch. I have seen people take a Makita drill, jack it up to full speed, and grind away for 5 minutes. Not only does that start taking off significant material (as evidenced by all the black oil that flings everywhere), you have a problem with getting the right sort of cross-hatch- too shallow.

Point being is that *you have to be careful*, do it only when actually necessary - that is, you have a problem with the engine in-flight or you have a slow degeneration of the power over many flights - and you have no other choice. The slow degeneration depends on your situation, but on the ST46 it tended to manifest itself as having to set the ground RPM lower and lower as it wore out. You might start out needing 8400 rpm at launch to get a particular speed, and over the period of many flights, it will have to be set slower and slower to get the right in-flight speed. My cutoff, with the stock prop, was 7800 and sea level, when it got to that, it was time for a new ring. Everyone else's numbers will be different, but with an average-quality 80's manufacture ring that might be 100 flights, with a very good ring, it might be 500-600.

There is something missing in this story - we started with a "new, unrun" engine, and somehow it's now been taken apart with what sounds like significant wear, and as near as I can tell, never flown, then had a new ring from somewhere, by someone, installed. So there is no information on whether it actually ran OK, in-flight,  in the first place

Brett

Hi Brett

This is  NOT something  I have encouraged people to do, one because  too many people will just ruin the motor, and  I have told people if you do this, it will be  very quick  to do a steel sleeve, a  Nickle  OS sleeve is  NOT NOT  ever going to work on  honing, you can only have it chromed,  a  steel chromed  liner  will have a much tougher coating  and  will  take  10 to 20 times  longer  to  hone a crosshatch.
People  must do this at their  own  risk, the ones  that will NOT pay someone  to do this for them  also do this at their own peril  .
Many sleeves  CANNOT be  saved and re-used, some can.
On ST 46 and 60s  It takes  me  normally  5 or 6 seconds  with a hand drill  or  stand drill  running on  slow speed, in  each direction.
An OS  Electroless Nickle coated sleeve  will be  ruined after  4 seconds.
A Chromed ( real chrome) sleeve  will take anywhere from 30 seconds  to over a minute  in each direction
With  OS  steel  sleeves  I only do these  by hand  and  just try  to only scuff the lightly, then you will need  to do an longer break in

I too hate to give people this info because  I have already seen  how many parts  will get destroyed, and how many  will not read all of  this  and  do the wrong thing to  the  sleeves

I can also tell you for a  fact that  many people  do NOT  know  anything about how things work, I have had  many people insist that I use a sleeve  that is  NOT good, either not round, worn funny, or  worn out/damaged , they really think that a new ring will fix everything, it will not.  I also have had people insist I use an old sleeve  DO NOT install a new one, then complain when it  would not come up to high compression when run in

So  anyone doing this, Please  know what your doing, and  be  careful

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »
Stop messing around.  Get some 46LAs or Tower 40s and concentrate on flying.

I would not  put either one in a  score, It needs a  52  to 60 in it

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
This is  NOT something  I have encouraged people to do, one because  too many people will just ruin the motor, and  I have told people if you do this, it will be  very quick  to do a steel sleeve, a  Nickle  OS sleeve is  NOT NOT  ever going to work on  honing, you can only have it chromed,  a  steel chromed  liner  will have a much tougher coating  and  will  take  10 to 20 times  longer  to  hone a crosshatch.
People  must do this at their  own  risk, the ones  that will NOT pay someone  to do this for them  also do this at their own peril  .

My point exactly, and why I have gone in and posted disclaimers and warnings, because people definitely *have* done it, at least partly due to my having mentioned in the past, and then completely wrecked the engine.

There is something missing in this case, and I am very curious how a "new" engine appears worn out and needed a ring replacement, particularly since *I have a strong suspicion that this engine has never been flown in an airplane* and it would therefore be impossible to know if it ran correctly or not.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 03:26:24 PM »
     Hello Brett et. al.:

The engine in question appears to have never been run,  There are no signs of combustion on the inside even though I ran 16 oz. of fuel through while running it on the bench.  There are no washer marks on the lugs.

But inside, there are strong indications of significant running. OS cylinders *do not* come with pervasive vertical wear in them from the factory, and I am not sure why the ring was replaced.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
  My point exactly, and why I have gone in and posted disclaimers and warnings, because people definitely *have* done it, at least partly due to my having mentioned in the past, and then completely wrecked the engine.

There is something missing in this case, and I am very curious how a "new" engine appears worn out and needed a ring replacement, particularly since *I have a strong suspicion that this engine has never been flown in an airplane* and it would therefore be impossible to know if it ran correctly or not.

Brett

And  I have  asked  the same thing   earlier  up in the thread, a new engine  should  not have  scratched up sleeve  in it,  so  I will wait for more  info

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »
Thanks for the info. Randy .

Back in the early 70's a silly school teacher who HAD BEEN WARNED boght a KATIPO for her boyfriend , I was volenteered to build the model,
Whilst the brother spent the school holidays sorting the engine , with the mechanic with the DB5 Aston behind the old mans boat shed .

After endless p8ss*ng about , he motored it over for hours , dribbling oil in the intake . AFTEr theyed trued everything up .

Asked how it went and if theyed had any trouble , was told No Problems . Not sure she rearalised the hours involved in the endevour .
Katipos were renowned for  being useless , in the end I think they were warned by the consumer goods outfit , and pulled of the market .

If someone could find one of these for Frank , we could keep the thread going for a decade or so .  ;D VD~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
or the ASP 61 would do a good job in providing power for the Score.  The ASP .61 is a large, 20 oz., engine that may be squeezed into the Score.  It is also a very powerful engine rated at over 2.25 h.p.

Oh Dear .

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/ASP%2061.html

You Need to Build a SWEEPER , if you want to use the ASP . The Early F M Big One .
Or you could build a 200 mph Carrier Plane .
Or Sell It .
If you dont fly R C .

Why did the man bang his head against the wall ?
Because it felt so good when he stopped .
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:31:59 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »
At this point, I think Frank should lower himself to using an electric starter and run the thing until it develops some compression. I had the same thing with my T&L ST G.51 after rebuild, but it finally came right, and could be hand started now. I first flew the G.51 on a 12.25 x 3.75 APC, per Dan McEntee's recommendation, and would suggest using that prop on your .46 for first flights. Reminds me, I need to pick up a couple of those.  y1 Steve

Edit: I believe it's our man Shug that has a Magnum/ASP .52 powering his TF Score. That's a good choice, being ABC with no darned rings.

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 09:12:06 PM »
Matt,
Don't bowled out on Frank or be jamming donkeys in the wickets, I'm learning stuff on this thread.

Gully McDivot

PS--For those without an encyclopedic memory of New Zealand model engine history, check out Matt's Katipo here:

http://www.modelenginenews.org/ad/katipo.html

While named after a deadly spider, I think the upshot is you'd be better off running a Black Widow than a Kaputi

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here