News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito CL .72 on a pipe?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Saito CL .72 on a pipe?
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:17:02 PM »
Hi Pete, and other engine guys,

I have one of the .72 CL Saito engines. It is going into a Strega. I would like it to be as quiet as possible, and keep as much of the mess off the plane as I can. I normally fly ECL, but I love 4 strokes and think they are allmost perfect for CL stunt, 2nd only to ECL. ;-)

Other than weight (I'm not worried about several extra oz.), and poor looks, Is there any "downside" to using one of the wrap around headers and a tuned pipe strapped to the bottom of the plane?

I am not looking for more power, I think it will have more than enough, just want it very quiet and clean as possible. ... TIA for any answers on this. 

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Saito CL .72 on a pipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »
Rudy - having the same concern about keeping my Staggerwing (SAITO .56) a bit cleaner, I installed a pipe.

It is a simple length of 3/8 ID thin wall aluminum tubing, connected to the muffler with a piece of silicon tubing and bent down at the rear.

No affect on performance, keeps the plane clean and it leaves a very nice smoke trail.

It would be interesting to see what would happen with a tuned pipe.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:29:27 AM »
Not Pete or have his credentials but if I was thinking about doing something like this I would put the engine on a test stand with the stock muffler, set a reference RPM and measure the head temperature. Then install the pipe and see if it makes any difference.

Harbor Freight sells a point and shoot thermometer pretty cheap.. For compairsons like the above doesn't matter how accurate it might be.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:52:52 AM »
Hi Pete, and other engine guys,

I have one of the .72 CL Saito engines. It is going into a Strega. I would like it to be as quiet as possible, and keep as much of the mess off the plane as I can. I normally fly ECL, but I love 4 strokes and think they are allmost perfect for CL stunt, 2nd only to ECL. ;-)

Other than weight (I'm not worried about several extra oz.), and poor looks, Is there any "downside" to using one of the wrap around headers and a tuned pipe strapped to the bottom of the plane?

I am not looking for more power, I think it will have more than enough, just want it very quiet and clean as possible. ... TIA for any answers on this. 

Regards,  H^^

Hi Rudy

People have been running  pipes on 4 strokes for years, I have setup many  4 stroke with pipes, You won't hurt anything as long as the pipe is not really restricted. and you will not have a problem accomplishing what your after, Bob's suggestion about checking the temps  are a good one too. You do have a laser thermometer  don't ya?

Regards
Randy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:05:39 AM »
Last 4 stroke I used (A Saito 56), I set up a neat system with a megaphone exhaust. Didn't make it quiet, but did seems to smooth the run quite a bit. Shame I kept bending pushrods on the thing.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »
Rudy,
where do you plug the batteries and speed controler in on your Saito, I have been looking for the jack on my .56, cant find it anywhere
 LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here