News:

• April 24, 2024, 03:28:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S.T. .46 Liner orientation in the case  (Read 849 times)

Offline Brian Stas

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
S.T. .46 Liner orientation in the case
« on: September 14, 2022, 05:27:24 PM »
After a full cleaning and new bearings, I'm re-assembling the motor and realized I failed to look at the correct liner position. Not sure which liner ports (upper 4 or lower 4) got towards the exhaust.  I only want to put it together once.

Thanks

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: S.T. .46 Liner orientation in the case
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 05:39:28 PM »
The exhaust side is always the highest or closest to the flange, regardless of brand or type of porting.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brian Stas

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 06:38:26 PM »
Thanks Steve.  It's back together now.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 08:00:23 PM »
        Isn't there a hole through the case and the liner for pulling the wrist pin out? Sometimes the liner has a matching hole, or at least may have a "witness" mark?  May depend on what vintage the engine is??

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 10:55:24 PM »
They wont go in upside down .    ;D

Sorry .  :P

Hurumph .  Generally you set the ring gap , center rear . Just as an aside .
IF its a NEW Ring , it needs checking its got say 5 thou gap , set square in liner using the piston skirt .

A drop of oil worked into the RING GROOVE is not a bad idea , prior to assembling .
Usually you fit the Ring & piston in the liner , hanging down SO THE WRIST PIN HOLE is just clear ,
Warm the case , Slide the liner part down  ( Con rod already in - chamfer in Big end to front . ) ,
Maybe test dowel through the caboodle , then carefully push in the oiled wrist pin , just flush ,
THEN seat the liner fully home . Just in case someones wondering .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 11:27:28 PM »
        Isn't there a hole through the case and the liner for pulling the wrist pin out? Sometimes the liner has a matching hole, or at least may have a "witness" mark?  May depend on what vintage the engine is??

Not the liner, just the case, closed up with a threaded aluminum plug.

The high side is the exhaust side, it will almost always also have brown marks from varnishing. Put it in backwards and it will run, really weak, and very very hot.

Brett

Offline Brian Stas

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 06:49:42 PM »
Air, that's exactly how I got it back together.  Brett, there were the usual marks on the liner as you mentioned, I just thought it was better ask you guys instead of guessing.  Thanks to all for answering,

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here