News:

• May 17, 2024, 10:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Macs Products Tuned Pipe System  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Macs Products Tuned Pipe System
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:32:15 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm sure some of you have used this system and was hoping to get some information from ya. I have this system for my OS 40 FSR and not sure how I should set it up. If you go to the Macs Product Tuning Charts it seems that they're using a different way to set up pipe that the way I heard ya do it. Macs cuts the header pipe to tune the system and you buy the length pipe that in recommended for the size engine your using. Question do you set up R/C pipe engine and C/L engine using the same method?? Macs says run the engine with exhaust wide open and tact rpm's than install header and pipe then run engine and check rpm's and adjust engine by cutting the header. I've heard that you measure from the glow plug to the end of pipe!! Macs system measures in a different manner??? What to do, What to do. I tried calling Macs Product but got no answer, also tried e-mail, no answer. The system looks very nice on a profile ship. Maybe next week they'll be open and maybe I'll get the answers I'm looking for??? The engine sure sounds nice hook up to the system. Just need a few answer before I put it in the air, Gary
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:33:23 AM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
Re: Maxs Products Tuned Pipe System
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:35 PM »
I thought you were just "plugging in?"  Damn this is going to be an expensive hobby.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
Re: Maxs Products Tuned Pipe System
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
I thought you were just "plugging in?"  Damn this is going to be an expensive hobby.
Thats correct, the only problem the boss saw the electric bill and cut me off at the pass, so now I'm back to gas????? I'll sneak back to the push button next month when shes not looking, ha ha. Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
Re: Macs Products Tuned Pipe System
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:47:06 AM »
The mac's pipe's instructions are for increasing horsepower with the pipe.  In Stunt the application is perhaps a mild boost of power, if any at all, and a break to keep the motor from speeding up too much. If using mac's products, you would probably at least use the full length header, or perhaps use some tubing as an extension.  Frank Williams has used metal pipes in the past, and he would probably be the person to contact.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »
The mac's pipe's instructions are for increasing horsepower with the pipe.  In Stunt the application is perhaps a mild boost of power, if any at all, and a break to keep the motor from speeding up too much. If using mac's products, you would probably at least use the full length header, or perhaps use some tubing as an extension.  Frank Williams has used metal pipes in the past, and he would probably be the person to contact.
Hi Mike,
Thank you for your help, I send Frank a PM. This is what I was thinking also that Macs sets up their system for total power and probably wouldn't work very well for stunt?? I have it installed on the engine, stock and I think she needs something. She runs good but I think it could be better. Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:00:45 PM »
Look up (search for) Danny Dirt's "Wimpact" posts. He uses a MACS pipe and header on his .25FP, with good results. The pipe is a "quiet tuned pipe", and seems to work for Dan.  H^^ Steve

Edit: Woops, looked farther down the list, and I think it's a "muffled tuned pipe", not the "quiet tuned pipe". Dirt's posts should clear that up, tho.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:32:28 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
Hi guys,
David from Macs Products called me today and told me just install the unit I have (Macs Product #1940) and run it. The only adjustment needed is prop and fuel. So I guess thats what I'm going to do. The Macs Products items look very nice and if they work as good as they look I'll have a winner!! All I need to do now is install the proper size venturie and go have fun. Thanks to all that has helped me, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »
So what creation is this setup going in? Will I get to see it before the first set of crash repairs? Dang, this is going to be an expensive hobby!  n~ n~ y1 y1

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
Hi guys,
David from Macs Products called me today and told me just install the unit I have (Macs Product #1940) and run it. The only adjustment needed is prop and fuel. So I guess thats what I'm going to do. The Macs Products items look very nice and if they work as good as they look I'll have a winner!! All I need to do now is install the proper size venturie and go have fun. Thanks to all that has helped me, Gary

I would expect that you are going to want it substantially longer than the R/C settings. so try it as is and make sure it's easy to make it longer at the field if necessary.

Brett

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »
Hi Brett,

Yes, it has to be about four inches longer. Mr. Frank Williams told me to add around four inches and make sure there isn't any air leaks. Mr. Williams told me he has used several aluminum pipe and also how to measure them. Being as dumb as I am, I just send him a picture of the set up I have and thats how he decided that I needed the four extra inches. I ordered a venturie and needle valve set up from Randy, so maybe something will be correct with my set up. I like the engine so well that I bought two more to play with. I really appreciate help from the group, its really great to have people on this forum trying to help.

Gary Anderson
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 07:51:05 AM »
Hi Gary,

Any further news?

Merry Christmas!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »
Hi Bill,

The weather hasn't been the best around here. A little rain and us California Spoiled Brats just stay home and play with our toys. I've run the engine with the extra four inches as suggested bye Frank on the ground and she is great. I liked it so well I bought two more OS Max 40 FSR ABC Engines. The FSR Engine is a very strong engine and runs very cool. The engine is turning 12000 rpm's and you can hold on to the bottom of the engine and it doesn't even get warm. After she runs out of fuel you can fuel her up and she'll start the same as if it has been sitting for an hour. Never had an engine that didn't get hot over the whole engine. Most engine I have after a run ya can't touch the venturie, bearing area, back plate, without getting a little burn. I believe this was one of the items that sold me on the FSR engine. If the engine doesn't get hot, maybe it will run the same through out the pattern. Just my stupid way of thinking??? Just me. Mr. Brett told me I would get a good run away and I'm sure he's correct but I don't have much money in the complete set up, so I'll just have fun and probably won't learn my lesson. Just to old to cut the mustard???? (I got the engine free and the pipe system cost me $37 bucks????)
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:59:34 PM »
Best of luck with it, Gary!  and most of all have fun. ;D

Merry Christmas!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here