News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rossi cylinder/piston .15 interchange  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Mike Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Rossi cylinder/piston .15 interchange
« on: July 25, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »
Gents: I currently have a Taipan .15 in need of a piston and liner set. As I understand that a Rossi Mark 2 piston and liner would work.
My question, if this is true, how may I obtain one. Is this an 'old' series that's far and few between or is it newer. Also, I understand that a Cox Conquest crank would fit. If this is the case, does it make any difference if it is a 'free flight' crank or an 'rc crank' model?

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Offline Mike Miller

• New Pilot
Re: Rossi cylinder/piston .15 interchange
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:59:20 AM »
If you could measure yours I could compare it to my Rossi mk2. I may have an iron/steel set I could part with. Don't know your application but Cox cranks are all the same but they like to break if modified at all.

Motorman 8)

Thanks for getting back quickly. Check your e mail.

Mike

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 07:52:05 AM »
You need to find Mark Greenwood in the UK. He has a stock of Rossi piston/liner sets. He may be a member here, but definitely at the Barton CL club forum - username is rickvonspeedracer.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
Gents: I currently have a Taipan .15 in need of a piston and liner set. As I understand that a Rossi Mark 2 piston and liner would work.
My question, if this is true, how may I obtain one. Is this an 'old' series that's far and few between or is it newer. Also, I understand that a Cox Conquest crank would fit. If this is the case, does it make any difference if it is a 'free flight' crank or an 'rc crank' model?

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Had a phone discussion with Ron Young the other night. He was the engine test guy at Cox and was the one that suggested the tapered bore in the Conquest cranks to solve the breakage problem. He said that for awhile, the FF/CL engines had the tapered shaft bore, but the R/C did not. Eventually, management wised up and had all the cranks made with the tapered bore, to reduce tooling changes, and parts inventory problems. I didn't think to ask what sort of material they made the cranks from, darn it. But at least we know that you want the tapered shaft bore, and it can be either FF/CL or R/C derived. The K&B Conquest would be my choice...both ABC and the good crank.

I had one of those Taipan 2.5's, but only got 19k out of it on 80-20 on a FG 7x3.5 copy of the Cox prop. I ran a tap through the spraybar holes in the venturi and installed a K&B .40 2-pc spraybar. It ran very nicely, but not fast enough. Pretty little engine, all the more special after meeting Gordon Burford a couple of times.  :)  Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »
Try Ron Young for the abc piston & liners. The Cox Conquest will fit the Rossi and MVVS. There was a  rumor that one of the Traxxas 15’s would work but I never found it.
Al

Offline Mike Miller

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 11:24:15 PM »
Appreciate all the responses regarding the Taipan. I was aware that Mr. Young was the 'life blood' of the Conquest. I shall look toward a 'free flight' crank at least or making sure that the crank once located is tapered.
I'll touch base with the fellow in UK and see where that goes. Again thank you for everyone's input. This being my first interaction with stunt hanger has been pleasant experience. I have been lurking around here for a while checking all the information everyone possess,  definitely a major factor to keep things going with control line flying and other areas of the hobby.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 09:26:28 PM »
Try Ron Young for the abc piston & liners. The Cox Conquest will fit the Rossi and MVVS. There was a  rumor that one of the Traxxas 15’s would work but I never found it.
Al

Theres a KYOSU , I think ( Have one , will check ) ABC that fits the ROSSI  , and thus by default / the TAIPAN .

Timings rather high . Half way Std to piped ' Fits the UCKTAM Rossi Clone , Which'd fit also . Uktams cou.ld be ' Std Timed ' & steel .  :P

Cranks . Id think the G 20 D , or thought . as central intake .
 same .
Roumers here " He did a few with 12 mm shafts ". Mr Rothwells matches his Gillot Rossi - Diesel G/Year .

and a Ucktam has a 12 mm shaft , center intake . Like a Rossi Mk III ? ( at a guess , Mk II 10 mm ?? )

THUS , whatchewr wantsa 12 mm Shaft conversion , if ya WANT TO HOWL SNORT AND WAil , to rip around convincingly .

Commie Rossi Ucktam 15 .

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 10:51:09 PM »
I'll touch base with the fellow in UK and see where that goes. Again thank you for everyone's input. This being my first interaction with stunt hanger has been pleasant experience. I have been lurking around here for a while checking all the information everyone possess, 

I am continually amazed at what the collected group knows, or has done. Basically just about anything you might want to know, someone here knows and maybe invented it.

Brett

Offline Mike Miller

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 04:05:14 PM »
Appreciate all the responses regarding the Taipan. I was aware that Mr. Young was the 'life blood' of the Conquest. I shall look toward a 'free flight' crank at least or making sure that the crank once located is tapered.
I'll touch base with the fellow in UK and see where that goes. Again thank you for everyone's input. This being my first interaction with stunt hanger has been pleasant experience. I have been lurking around here for a while checking all the information everyone possess,  definitely a major factor to keep things going with control line flying and other areas of the hobby.

I was able to make contact with Mr. Greenwood and he does have the Mk II piston and liner in stock in which it is a 'drop in' for the Taipan. Cost with postage to the US is $115.00.  I will proceed in obtaining one of these jewels and go from there.

Thanks to everyone who have contributed to my inquiry and as Mr. Buck says, "amazed at all the information that is available here to help out."  Great teamwork on everyone's part.

Mike   #^

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
better late than never .  :P

Dunno what the last one is / modern art .  :-\

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 06:03:04 AM »
We found that the Cox Conquest &  Rossi's of 1976 vintage were also an exact swapout.

So a Taipan would most-likely also take a Cox.
Paul Smith

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 06:57:56 AM »
Theres a KYOSU , I think ( Have one , will check ) ABC that fits the ROSSI  , and thus by default / the TAIPAN .
The Kyosho 74016-05 piston and liner will not work in the Rossi 15 with out doing machine work to the piston. The wrist pin in the Kyosho piston is much smaller than the Rossi, which means making the wrist pin hole bigger in the piston to use the stock rod, or making a new rod and using the Kyosho wrist pin.
Al

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »
Does the Kyosho 74016-05 fit the Rossi Mk1&2 or the Mk3. I have the tooling to enlarge the wrist pin hole and cut the grooves for the clips. Could also make a smaller bushing for the Rossi rod.

Motorman 8)
   The Kyosho would fit the Rossi Mk2 which is the same as the Conquest. The Kyosho piston pin is .140 and I do not have one to check out. The Rossi piston pin is .160 which is the standard in most high output .15
Al

Advertise Here
Tags: c o n t a c t ! 

Advertise Here