News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rojett 40, tank and pipe setup. and prop  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Rojett 40, tank and pipe setup. and prop
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »
This 40 will be in a legacy 40. Just got the custom header pipe from Mac's Products. I have a pipe on order from Randy. I will put in a half tunnel in the bottom. to tuck the pipe in part way. I looked at the pipe setup for a full Size 40 in a big plane, is this the same setup for a smaller plane? I got props for Sams Tempest 40 with a PA merlin 40, thinking these may work.

The other thing is Sam wants a tank setup like David's showed her at the nats with the loop cutoff. Brett if you could let me know how you Guys do this, and how much fuel this pipe setup will use for the Pattern. If there is anything else I need to know please put that in also.

Thanks Sam and Steve

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Rojett 40, tank and pipe setup. and prop
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »

The other thing is Sam wants a tank setup like David's showed her at the nats with the loop cutoff. Brett if you could let me know how you Guys do this, and how much fuel this pipe setup will use for the Pattern. If there is anything else I need to know please put that in also.

I don't know about the fuel consumption. I would *guess* around 5.5 ounces but that is strictly a guess, since I have never run the 40, and only seen a couple of them. One thing I do know - don't scrimp on fuel, make sure you can put a 7 ounce tank in it if necessary. There's probably no way to manage that with a 1" thick tank, but at least leave enough space for a 6 x 1.25 x 2.0625 tank with some space to shim it.

As far as the cutoff loop goes, there's really no trick to it. You just have to cut the fuel load close enough, and have a very consistent fuel usage. A conventional Veco T-21 style tank will do the cutoff very easily - almost too easily. Cut it close enough with that style tank, and you can hear it going a little funny pulling out in the hourglass. With the full 8 minutes, it's really no problem, you just put in extra fuel.  In FAI, you have to pay a bit more attention.

The trick is more how to get it to run through the overhead and 4-leaf without a problem, then cut off 4-5 laps later in a loop. This is mostly a matter of the angle of the wedge on the tank.  I think David is running a Kaz carbon clunk tank, but mine cuts of at least as well. Dave's has a bit of a tendency to go lean in the 4-leaf.   My tanks have a steeper wedge angle than a T-21, and are tapered in plan view, too. I don't have time to go into this right now  but I will get back to the thread later when I have a chance. I am sure we can get Sam set up.

Brett

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »
Thanks Brett, we will wait for more.

Steve

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
     I'll add my two cents, or at least what I can remember of it.  I ran this set up for two years in my Oriental Plus.  The pipe was a R.O. set at 17 to 17.5 (I think).  It used a bunch of different props, mostly Bollys, 11 to 11 1/2 x 3.75 to 4.5.  It was always happiest at the lower end of pitch.  APC 11x4 and 11.5 x4 (re pitched to about 3.75) also worked OK.  Launch RPM was from 10,200 to 10,700.  For fuel, I used Powermaster RoJett blend, the original when available was 10% nitro 22% oil, 17% syn. 5% castor. I ran much better with a lessor amount of castor.  I also used PM 10/18 and 15/18.  Wildcat Premium Xtra 10 or 15% works well also.  It is, or at least was, 18% oil 80/20 mix of syn to castor.  The airplane had a 5 1/4 oz tank, home made.  Using 15%, it was barely enough to get through the pattern.  I still have the engine.  The model was on the heavy side and used every bit of oomph I could get out of the engine.  Later, I changed power to a LA 46 and gave the model away.  It was much happier with the 46.
    The Legacy 40 is enough smaller that your set up should be fine.  I used my .40 in a Chizler later on.  A header muffler and a 10.5 x 5 Smith/Werwage (?) prop, the one for a AT .36.   That worked really well, or at least until I did something stupid in Madera two years ago.  
    Overall, you should like the engine.

Edit for grammar.

Mike

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:32:36 PM »
And make darn sure an OS 40VF will fit in there, too!

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here