News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:39:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacement piston/ liner for a Brodak 40  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Bill Barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Replacement piston/ liner for a Brodak 40
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:49:19 AM »
       Several years ago I bought a piston & liner from Brodak for my worn out Brodak 40 .
 They came separately not a matched set , they had very little compression so I never used them .
 I was able to get a piston & Liner from a friend that had a Brodak 40 that had a broken case . That
 got my Brodak 40 back to running very well .
        So my question is how can I make this piston & liner set work ? Should I try and grow the
      piston with heat ?
                                      Frugal ,  Bill
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:27:44 PM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Replacement piston/ liner for a Brodak 40
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:19:15 AM »
I also have a liner without a piston.............. And one of these days I'm going to send it back.

JB; are you reading this? P/L should be sold as a matched set.....

Jerry

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:12:36 PM »
Same thing is true for the B25, not sold as a matched set. When it came time to place them in an engine, mine had almost NO compression. Totally unsat-

Heard that they had trouble getting spare parts from Russia, so they disassembled a number of new engines for parts. Somebody forgot to keep the P&Ls matched together...

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:06:45 AM »
     Recently I grew the piston on an old Brodak .049 Mk I . It had lost compression after many years of use so
I heated the piston then quenched it in oil .  Compression came back and the motor runs well now .  Not sure if
I should try heating the piston on a Brodak 40 to make the P/L  work  ?      Looking for some advice .
                  Cheers   Bill
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:25:17 PM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »
       Several years ago I bought a piston & liner from Brodak for my worn out Brodak 40 .
 They came separately not a matched set , they had very little compression so I never used them .
 I was able to get a piston & Liner from a friend that had a Brodak 40 that had a broken case . That
 got my Brodak 40 back to running very well .
        So my question is how can I make this piston & liner set work ? Should I try and grow the
      piston with heat ?
                                      Frugal ,  Bill
Why didn't you send them back immediately when it had no compression? Selling an ABC or AAC piston/liner separately is not acceptable. An engine builder/tuner who has access to many pistons/liners might be able to fit one or the other to a new part for you but selling you a separate part is a crap shoot you're not likely to win and is not something most manufacturers or distributors would do. If Brodak did indeed get parts stock by dis-assembling complete engines, the pist/liners should have been packaged as a unit and sold that way.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 04:31:10 AM »
              Brodak has never offered the assemblies as a matched pair.  They always were listed as separate components and currently still done this way. I thoroughly enjoy mine and it's been a terrific engine.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »
              Brodak has never offered the assemblies as a matched pair.  They always were listed as separate components and currently still done this way. I thoroughly enjoy mine and it's been a terrific engine.
I wasn't knocking the engine. They work fine when fitted properly from the factory. My point was that ABC/AAC piston-liner assemblies are "Fit critical" and should be sold as a matched set, or hand fitted at "the factory or distributor" with your returned, serviceable part. If you buy a replacement piston and it fits so loose in your liner that it has no compression, then what? Throw good money after bad?
The fact that  "They always were listed as separate components" doesn't mean it was, or is, the correct way to do it.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here