News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remote Battery for Electric Starter  (Read 853 times)

Offline Christopher Root

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Remote Battery for Electric Starter
« on: September 01, 2021, 09:10:15 AM »
Hello! I use an electric starter to help start my engines.  Does anyone know of a 12-volt battery system that I can hook up to it?  I would like the starter to be "portable" and get me away from the flight box. Thank you!

C R

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Remote Battery for Electric Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 10:37:46 AM »
  There are all sorts of ways to do this. I have a Kavan starter that I rebuilt/repaired that originally had 10 sub-C nicads in it. The batteries were bad, so I looked for and found a deal on two 6 cell R/C car packs and then collected them in series. This gave me 14.4 volts ( the extra volts do not bother anything) and I think they were 3800 mah cells. I just had to work out a way to mount them and some black duct tape helped with that. These all used the common molex or what some call Tamiya connectors. Hobbico had an add on battery box and battery to make their starter cordless and there are a lot of them t there in swap meets. I don't know if they are still available from Tower/Horizon Hobbies or not. Some one here on the list mentioned a system for sale that uses the battery from a Makita cordless power drill, ( I think it was Makita) but the adapter alone is 50 bucks. You can find surplus 12 volt gel cell batteries that are relatively small and 5 amp capacity and can be held to the bottom of the starter with zip ties. four cell Lipo batteries will get you in the neighborhood also. Look at what you might have on hand for chargers and such and maybe start theirs since you already have that.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:52:47 PM »
This is a handy remote starter that we use to convince stubborn engines to participate.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 06:21:30 PM »
Have you looked at the Hangar 9 Starter Source Without Battery, HAN165?

This battery holder screws to the base of the Hangar 9 starter but there are additional mounting holes to suit other starters.

It appears to be currently out of stock with more stock due soon.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 02:43:51 PM »
<snip>
  Some one here on the list mentioned a system for sale that uses the battery from a Makita cordless power drill, ( I think it was Makita) but the adapter alone is 50 bucks. <snip>
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

That would be me. Mike Potter, our club president for life introduced us to that adapter and setup. It's awesome. It required me to buy a Makita 18v 1/2" drill kit, which came with two 3 ah batteries, the drill and the charger. Charging takes about 45 minutes and being 18 volts, it's really zippy. I bought a used Sullivan starter at a swap meet for $10, the adapter was $50 and the drill kit was about $300. I use the drill kit often around the house...actually around the neighborhood... and I always feel the whole setup was a bargain. I still have the contact info for the adapter, but a search should also turn it up.   :) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here