News:

• May 22, 2024, 07:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reccomendations for a "good" Tach ?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Reccomendations for a "good" Tach ?
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:36:04 PM »
Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone could push me in the direction , for the purchase of a good quality tachometer ?

Thanks ,

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Reccomendations for a "good" Tach ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:27:56 PM »
I own a TNC and a Hanger 9 Mini Tach, which are about $120 and $28, respectively. I think they're very close to equal in performance. You can set either on the ground (grass or pavement) about 18'' ahead of the plane, and get a good reading. None of the others will do that. I'd suggest the Hanger 9 Mini Tach, of course. I even bounced mine off the concrete last weekend, and it still worked fine. I don't think my TNC would have survived. It had never been dropped, but still had the DRO plate go wonky. Some glue fixed it, tho.  Hope this helps!  H^^ Steve

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/FieldEquipment.aspx?CatId=APE 

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:51:03 PM »
Hi ,

Thanks Steve .

I appreciate the help .

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
Don't bother with the Tower Hobbies Digital Mini Tach.  I've bought at least 4 of these.  They work well for awhile, but all of them died over the winter.
Thunder Tiger makes a decent tach, but it only reads 4 digits, so 15,900 shows up as 159.  It also is very fussy about what it sees.  Has to be right on top of the prop and up sun of  it.
phil Cartier

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:23:13 AM »
Hi Rob,
A few of us here have been using Globee Intellitachs for a number of years with good results. They work well, are accurate and have three memory settings. They also come with a one year guarantee and use a standard 9 volt transistor battery which seems to last forever. Tower has them for $28.00. Check it out at: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPX81&P=ML

Orv.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »
Yes, batteries are  a secondary issue here. My first TOWER HOBBIES DIGITAL MINI-TACH uses about $20.00 worth of hearing aid batteries. And it has no facility for turning itself off after a certain period of time. So, imagine what happens when I put it down and forget to turn it off!!!

I've since discovered I can break down a $3.50 Duracell battery into its individual cells and use them...

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Eric Viglione

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »
I use the $28 Hangar 9 tach pictured above and also reccomend it. Great little tach for the money, and uses cheapie 3V silver cells like the old computer CMOS battery.
EricV

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »
I also use the hanger 9 tach, but i wouldn't suggest setting it in on the ground in front of a running engine ! it doesn't weigh much and i would think it would be sucked into the prop!!!
 that would be Bad,very Bad
Dave jr.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 07:00:09 PM »
Just as an interesting side note, my brother (EE Masters from Caltech) built me a tach tester for my birthday a few years ago.  It is crystal controlled, so it is a very accurate source as regards rpm.  Output is an LED, which is capable of switching at incredibly high rates (they are used for optical data transfer).  It will test tachs from 3,600 to 60,000 rpm.  So far, I guess I have tested 20 or so tachs with the device.

All but two tachs I have tested are well within reasonable accuracy.  The two that were off were an old Heathkit tach, off by 8000 rpm showing a 23,000 rpm reading on an engine that actually was turning 15,000.  The second was a TNC that was off by about 500 at 15,000 rpm.  My conclusion is that all the readily available "cheap" tachs are also crystal controlled, and thus accurate.  The real differences seem to be in the ability to read props under poor lighting condition.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »
Yeah I remember Vibra Tachs, they also made a biger industrial version. I ran a concrete paver that had multiple large cylinder style hydraulic vibrators in the hopper to help move the mix through.
We used a vibra-tach to try and match up the freq on the entire set so the mud was vibrated consistantly across the width of the slab, sometime 24' with a vibrator every 18".
Good times standing in a metal box full of wet concrete with a dozen big vibrators howling around you while you try and get a reading from the scale on a buzzing blur of concrete covered tach. If we matched them up to within 1/4 range of the scale on the tach we were doing good!
Eventually drooped it in the mix and it disappered - it's still somewhere in U.S. Hwy 2 Westbound in Grand Forks ND.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline David Russum

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »
I bought the GloBee tach...I like the big display and the use of easy to find 9v batteries. Unfortunately, if the temperature is above 80 or 85, the display will go out - first it will read all 8s (all segments on) and then if it gets too hot the entire window will turn black.  Once it cools down it works OK, so I have to make sure to keep it in the shade (or even in my drink cooler) between flights.  If the temperature is 95 or above, it is practically useless.  If you live in a cooler climate this may not be a problem (I live in Texas).
AMA #335952

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 09:27:12 PM »
Sheesh, now you tell me,  My Globee did that too, I thought the batteries were dead when it did that. I bought a tower to replace it, well I guess I will try it again now, probably keep it in my ice chest with my lunch!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
How accurate is your tach?  A quick check: point it at a flourescent light indoors.  It should read 3600.  That doesn't mean it will be dead-on at 10K, but it will show if it is really wacko!

Floyd
(another EE)
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
The incandescent lightbulb also works for calibration check, as long as it is powered by 60 cycle electrical source. This originally was used as the calibration for the Heathkit "Thumb Tach". I believe some countries use 50 cycles, so I guess it would read 3,000 rpm there?

I noticed this weekend that my Hanger 9 tacho shut down after "awhile"...15 sec or 30 sec or whatever. It's the thought that counts! Anybody know what watch battery it takes, please post! "Gotta have spares!"  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:34:56 AM »
My Glo-Bee also has display problems once temperature is in the 80s making it unusable.  I'm going to try the Hanger 9.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »
...All but two tachs I have tested are well within reasonable accuracy... The second was a TNC that was off by about 500 at 15,000 rpm. 

Larry, any idea if that was one of Tony C.'s original tachs or the "new and improved" version?

I have one of the originals from Tony and always thought it was right on....perhaps not.

George

PS. Ty, if ANY engine should work with a Vibratach, it should have been the Fox. Don't remember them as being accurate but I remember the model mag advertisements in the fifties, and even SAW one back then.  ;D
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 08:47:47 AM »
Sorry, no idea on the version of tach I tested.  Of course the most basic test is to read a flourescent light and see if you get 3600.

If you plan to show up at VSC next year, I always have the tester in my flight box.

DesignMan

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »
I have an LCD display mini-tach.  Works fine except when exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period.  The display blanks out black.  It's a characteristic of all LCD displays, my stopwatches do the same thing.  The display just needs to cool down, then will work normally.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 10:36:43 AM »
I understand about LCDs being sensitve to heat and direct sunlight, but my Glo Bee is way more sensitive than any other LCD device I use including my transmitter displays, my anemometer, my stop watch, and my digital tach.  They'll all be working and the Glo-Bee is black.

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »
Hi ,

I may as well throw my two cents worth  in , about now .
I have a Glo-Bee tach and it has somewhat of an extreme variance in readings .
When I was breaking in my Ro-Jett .40 , the tach would jump from 10.5K to 13.8K , even when the tach was mounted in a secure location , to prevent it from being inadvertently moved . The air temp was only in the mid seventies and it had a fresh nine volt battery .
My ears are good (so my girlfriend says) so I think I would hear the increase in RPM's :)

I really appreciate the help  y1

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »
I have a Glo-Bee tach too.  I found that it didn't read props very well, so I added a lens and extended hood to make the detection more directional.  The hood is painted black inside, as is the pocket around the detector.   

The tach works fine now and will read props from a foot or more away.

As an aside, I have a Royal Tach (the analog one with all the buttons) available for sale.

DesignMan

Offline Luke Spreadborough

• Ensign
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 02:57:49 AM »
I believe some countries use 50 cycles, so I guess it would read 3,000 rpm there?

Yes, for Australia 3,000 is the correct reading for flouro lights. I had a Thunder Tiger tach that started giving much higher readings than it should have and the flourescent light check confirmed this. I threw it away, Thunder Tiger tachos need to be almost in the prop to actually read the RPM, a fact I found very annoying. My latest tacho is a Taiwanese Lutron DT-602 which has a lense and hood and can read a spinning prop from a mile away. Unfortunately it also reads flourescent lights at 2,900   mw~ , dammit. I might just buy another tacho to get comparisons. I also own a Vibra-tach but I'm not gonna bother with it, keepsake only.

Offline Pinecone

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
Everyone outside the western hemisphere uses 50 Hz power.  Normally 220 V, but Japan is 100 VZ, 50 Hz just to screw with us. :)

I have a Heath Thumb Tach.  You had to use a flourescent light to calibrate since it wasn't sensitive to pick up the level flucuations of an incandescent.  Modern tachs will read an incandescent light.

I have a GloBee that is nice.  I also have a Hyperion that is combined watt meter and tach (I do electric RC).
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 02:15:05 AM »
As Floyd mentioned, calibrating at line current frequency only means the reading is correct at THAT freq/RPM, but it is a start...

Most of the available tachs I've seen CAN be opened (Haven't had a close look at that red one, though.) There are trim pots somewhere on the circuit board. They can be calibrated on a fresh battery with the case open, but there may the reading may shift when the box is closed back up. Watch for that and accommodate it.

I've heard that LCD screens are sensitive to direct sunlight; hadn't heard about high temperature affecting them. Thanks!

As to direct sunlight, I even turn my Casio LCD wrist watch under my wrist when driving, or out in bright Arizona sun for extended time. It's now about 4 years old, and been through a few battery replacements, but still has a clean, bright display... Hasn't burned black yet, either...

Still have a Vibra-Tak from the 1950's, and the collet is still nice and tight. Never did stick the pin through a prop - yet, anyway. It did "work" as consistently as the operator let it, and in the 1950's there were no electronic alternatives. There WERE revolution counters, where you pushed a padded shaft end onto the spinner or prop nut and timed the count to get the RPM (RPM = counter reading X 4 for a 15 second timing, e.g.). Never interested in THAT...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »
I had three different brands of Tachs and ended up using the Glowbee for CL. there are two of us that use this brand at our club and I really like it AFTER you learn how to use it properly. I like the memory feature. As far as the display fading, it's not really a problem: don't store it in the sun. We put ours on the Knee pad and a rag over it on the side lines as we go out to get the handle.  One of our members has the "Hanger 9" unit and it works well for him. All of them "hunt" a little when the batteries got low or old. Good luck!
This is kinda like asking: ford or Chevy?
Terry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here