News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:02:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: Old Fox 35  (Read 887 times)

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Re: Old Fox 35
« on: September 28, 2019, 12:55:50 PM »
I've tried every thing but have found nothing that will take the baked on discolor on the piston liner. I have several old Fox's that I am trying to restore and get running for vintage A/C. I just thought maybe the stuff bikers use to restore chrome exhaust might work...……….

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:05:00 PM »
I've tried every thing but have found nothing that will take the baked on discolor on the piston liner. I have several old Fox's that I am trying to restore and get running for vintage A/C. I just thought maybe the stuff bikers use to restore chrome exhaust might work...……….

Crock pot and anti-freeze, with some occasional scrubbing. But be advised, removing the varnish from a Fox 35 liner may not be to your advantage (read Randy's pinned fuel post about cleaning varnish off of old engine liners).

Brett

p.s. do not use chemical cleaners (other than anti-freeze) like oven cleaner or dishwashing agent (Cascade). Don't *scrape it with a sharp object*. A copper brush (10 or 12-gauge shotgun cleaning brush) is probably safe enough, but really, use antifreeze in a crock-pot and there will be no marks on the underlying metal when you are done.

I would also note - my Foxes ran perfectly well (for a Fox) with no attempts at cleaning at all. You don't want to take any chance on damaging anything when a bit of varnish here or there makes no difference to the performance.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:01:38 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 02:26:21 PM »
   Metal can be stained just like wood, and the only way to remove it is to remove metal, and you DON"T want to do that. So what if it looks discolored, as long as things fit. Once the liner is installed in the engine, you can't see it anyway.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 10:02:52 AM »
When all the miracle cleaners fail, do the crockpot/antifreeze and old toothbrush. Cook on low with straight antifreeze. Pull out every couple hours and brush. On heavily blackened ones I use wood tooth picks between cooling fins to speed the process up. Piston skirts are the last hold out and I use half of a wood clothespin to scrub with. It may take overnight or a week but nothing will get it cleaner. No need to panic about flushing afterward either. I set engines on my bench after cooking without flushing and they don't rust or corrode after weeks of sitting. Might be different if you add water to the antifreeze. 
Bill P.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 07:19:48 PM »
I've had real good luck with the crock pot and traditional green antifreeze technique.  Have used it both on Fox .35 and OS LA .46 engines.  Both had gotten so tight from castor oil varnish that they squeaked near TDC.

A new crock pot is inexpensive, though there are always a number of crock pots at the thrift store.  I just leave my antifreeze in the crock pot for months on end.  Takes a while for the crock pot to warm up, several hours.  That's how they work.  If you used a different warming technique, it might not take overnight.

I'm so happy to have finally accepted the crock pot advice, I even clean up my mufflers before contests to improve appearance. 

best,

Peter

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:50:56 PM »
A / . !

' De Lacuuering ' engines . Usually THEY SAID  " DONT " do the last 1/16 up the wall / to the cown , of the piston . ( as thats where it seals ) .
                                                                     =====

I usually use the green 3M scotch pads , from the supermarket . Best used on pots a few times first , to soften . For working surfaces ,
as they can scratch .

ACETONE while it wont disolve grunge , usually softens it . A BRASS bristled ' wire brush ' can be fairly usefull .

really want to blow out all the bolt / screw holes too . Grit etc inem isnt good .

Torn / cut strips of the 3M for wrist pin holes in piston & rod , like wringing a tea towel .Or with a wire to hold agaist the face your de gungeing .
A wire thru wrist pin , & 600 or 800 or 1200 paper , on glass , to clean & polish . Crank journals tooo .

Tooners'd polish the insides of the passages . But opion varies , and has for decades .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here