News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS .46LA Hemi Head  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
OS .46LA Hemi Head
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »
How many people have a hemi head on their .46LAs?  Wondering if it would help or not.  Still looking for a wet 2 run.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS .46LA Hemi Head
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »
  Hey Coach, We (in the Baton Rouge area) are runnung LA 46 engines withe the "squish" band opened up, or reduced.
  This reduces the compression some what and gives a softer 4-2 break.
  Years ago, before he died, Charley Melancon would do this for us, and we really liked the way it ran, since that time Curtis Shipp has been doing them for us.

Tell him that I said to make the up like he does for me, I think that you will like them..
  We are running 10-22 fuel with Thunder Bolt idle bar plugs, and APC 12x5 props.

Hope that this helps...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
  Hey Coach, We (in the Baton Rouge area) are runnung LA 46 engines withe the "squish" band opened up, or reduced.
  This reduces the compression some what and gives a softer 4-2 break.
  Years ago, before he died, Charley Melancon would do this for us, and we really liked the way it ran, since that time Curtis Shipp has been doing them for us.

Tell him that I said to make the up like he does for me, I think that you will like them..
  We are running 10-22 fuel with Thunder Bolt idle bar plugs, and APC 12x5 props.

Hope that this helps...

Hi Gil,

Thanks!  Are you running a "true" 4-2?  I haven't tried that with the .46LA.

I'll get hold of Curtis, already have several of his back plates!

Bill "Coach" Little
AKA: BIG Bear
AKA: Mongo (race team nick name, we lost a car in the ARCA race at Daytona, totalled)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 03:58:05 AM »
  Coach, it doesn't 2-4 break like a Fox 35, but there is s break.  As I said they do run well..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline gwassenaar

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 02:49:41 AM »
A late reply to Mr. Little's question about LA hemi heads.

I have two LA engines that had a clear pinging problem. So I was advised to have the heads modified, by indeed cleaning up the squish band(hemi head shape). And it helped! Only thing is I am still looking for the optimal prop.
I have used the APC 12x4 , APC 12,25x3,75 and Zinger 11x5, but I have the impression that I am over loading the engine?

However, the pinging is gone.
I use 5% nitro and 20% castor oil(1:4).

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »

We have been running 10-22 fuel as the 46's don't seem to like too much castor fuel, a blend seems to be much better.
   A friend up in East Texas tried all castor fuel and it seemed to "gum" the piston and liner, so I suggested the blend and it was better.
   As to glow plug and prop we run the T/Bolt long w/ idle bar and use the APC 12x5 props and they work well. 
  Good luck...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »
A late reply to Mr. Little's question about LA hemi heads.

I have two LA engines that had a clear pinging problem. So I was advised to have the heads modified, by indeed cleaning up the squish band(hemi head shape). And it helped! Only thing is I am still looking for the optimal prop.
I have used the APC 12x4 , APC 12,25x3,75 and Zinger 11x5, but I have the impression that I am over loading the engine?

However, the pinging is gone.
I use 5% nitro and 20% castor oil(1:4).

I've had very good luck with the APC 11.5 X 4 for most airplanes...Seems to load the engine just right at about 9500 RPM ground launch speed.
I would definitely reccommend fuel with 22% oil but half castor and half Klotz.  Works very well.

I have tried hemi heads and increased squish band areas and can see no difference between that and simply adding a shim under the stock head.  In fact some changes to the squish band area give erratic results and greater fuel consumption with a loss in power.

Randy Cuberly
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:37:01 AM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline gwassenaar

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:43:10 AM »
I have now gained some experience in flying my Stunt Rocket with my modified OS 46LA. Using an Enya 3 plug and a Zinger Wood 11x5(unmodified!), I have a perfect 4-2-4. Flying level in wind the engine switches nicely, and after  five loops (OTS) it will come back to fourstroke as well. So I am a happy person at present . And it starts on one flick!

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 06:02:04 AM »
Back when I ran an LA-46 in my yellow Time Machine 50, it was stock head, .285 venturi with a ST NVA, APC 12.25x3.75 cut down to 11.75" diameter.  On Powermaster 10/18 it tended to run a wet two stroke, on 5/18 it ran a very crisp 4-2-4 run.  So, my setup at least was very sensitive to nitro in terms of what run you had.  I tested a hemi head for the LA made by a sekrit engine shop down in Florida, but did not observe a massive change in engine run.

The biggest problem by far with LA based engine research was that some of the engines "went away" in as little as 300 flights.  Often insp[ection of the engine would reveal not a peeled liner, but a liner that had areas where the nickel was so thin that you could see through it down to the brass.  Liner scuffs or wear would change power output or run quality to a degree that confused any other experiments.
Steve

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:18 AM »
Bit surprised at the question, because I found a wet two run to be the default for the LA46. More or less Steve's set up above, but the APC was a standard 12.25x3.75, 20% oil, half and half and 5% nitro. Top that off with an Enya No3 plug and a great wet two run.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 07:31:50 AM »
I forgot plug, which may or may not make a huge difference.  I ran the Sig 003 in my LAs and FPs.
Steve

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »
 We have been running 10-22 fuel as the 46's don't seem to like too much castor fuel, a blend seems to be much better.
   A friend up in East Texas tried all castor fuel and it seemed to "gum" the piston and liner, so I suggested the blend and it was better.
   As to glow plug and prop we run the T/Bolt long w/ idle bar and use the APC 12x5 props and they work well.  
  Good luck...

I second that because the LA 46 likes more load on it to perform well and I ran mine with a  11X5  props on windy days and 11X 6 props od calm days with slight change in engine RPM and this stil works for me.  y1 y1 y1

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »
I have now gained some experience in flying my Stunt Rocket with my modified OS 46LA. Using an Enya 3 plug and a Zinger Wood 11x5(unmodified!), I have a perfect 4-2-4. Flying level in wind the engine switches nicely, and after  five loops (OTS) it will come back to fourstroke as well. So I am a happy person at present . And it starts on one flick!
I am glade you like the LA 46 and how it starts and runs and after a while as it gets more wear it will be harder to start-especialy when it is hot but the good news is it has a good crankshaft bearing and it can be made to run brand new with new piston and sleave and maybe new connecting rod. In any case it is a good stunt engine right out of the box and it would be a real shame if OS quit making them so I think we all should let OS know how well you like this engine and so far know chinese copy on the market. I wish it was a true ABC with a chromed sleeve instead of a nickle one as it would be a longer lasting engine and if they did it this way it would be OK to raise the price to pay for the change.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »
I'm sure OS is noticing the sales numbers for the C/L 46LA !  A cardinal rule of business:  if your product is selling, just keep on making it!  (Yearly modifications are for the auto industry).

F.C.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »
I'm sure OS is noticing the sales numbers for the C/L 46LA !  A cardinal rule of business:  if your product is selling, just keep on making it!  (Yearly modifications are for the auto industry).

F.C.

Actually, the rule for OS (with C/L stunt engines anyway) is to stop making them just when everybody is using them. See OS 35S, OS 40 VF, 46 VF, 35 and 40 and 20 FP, etc.
Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here