• May 20, 2024, 05:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: G51  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
G51
« on: May 23, 2007, 06:56:50 PM »
I just installed a G51(RC version) in my Tutuor II.  It came out of a RC plane that I'm donating to a club as a club trainer.  I replace the carb with a ST venturi and NV.  Can I expect much of a CL run from this engine "as is", or do I need to replace the cylinder liner with the CL sleeve?  My intention is to run it like it is and see how it does, first.  Advice?              Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: G51
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:02:01 AM »
Glen...I think you'll be fine....
Around these parts, the 11.5 X 4 APC works well....the late ST's like to be spun up.....
Have fun...

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:44:51 AM »
Thanks, Peabody.  That engine was a real powerhouse in RC mode.  I had it in a "60" size, very heavy trainer, and it yanked her around the sky with authority.  I found that with a tongue muffler (without all that stupid exhaust plumbing), it weighs about the same as the LA46 with stock muffler.  Thought I'd try launching at about 10-10.5K, and use the 11/4 ProZinger.  We'll see.............Glen
Glen Wearden

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:58:21 AM »
The CL version does have a different liner than the RC version (at least the part numbers are different!), so I am guessing the timing is also different.
Now whether that means the RC version is not usable for CL isn't completely obvious, but it might be a handful for the first few flights. I would recommend a low pitch setup to start (or start working out those arm and shoulder muscles!).

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 07:59:23 AM »
Dont Quoate me on this, but I have heard some say that the Timing on the RC  version is better suited for stunt than the control line version FWIW
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 08:46:56 AM »
I have heard the same thing as Mark, but I have no experience with the R/C version.  As a WAG, I would say it will probably be happy running at a higher rpm.  The T&L ST G51s that I have run liked less than 5 pitch, so I would surmise the same would be true (maybe even a wet 2 w/4 pitch) with the R/C timing.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 09:02:15 AM »
The R/C version is happy running high RPM and low pitch.  The C/L version will give you a traditional stunt run using higher pitched props.  Mine is happy with a ProZinger 12X5 launching at 8500 RPM.  Growls in 4 and kicks into 2 just when you need it.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
I decided to order a CL liner for my G51.  I'm assuming that when I install it, I will need to do some re-breaking in; am I right?  Thought I'd do some 2 minute runs at a wet 2 cycle with cool off in between.  Then lean it out and see if it will hold a hot 2 cycle without sagging, and when it will, fly it.  Am I on the right track?  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 08:59:26 AM »
Well, I did it!  Broke the ring! :-[  Guess it's Frank Bowman time.  A man's gotta know his limitations.  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »
Glen...you'd want a new ring for the new liner anyway. Sometimes you just get lucky! I'd send (at least) the piston and liner to Frank Bowman and have him fit the end gap, assuming that he will. The whole engine would be better yet.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 07:42:55 AM »
Steve, Frank is working on the engine right now; may be finished by now.  I really did it up good; he said the ring was broken in three places, and that the con-rod bushing at the crankshaft was loose, so he's rebushing that.  Lesson learned: If, after reassembling, it doesn't feel right, don't mess with it; send it directly to Frank!  ~^    Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 12:49:06 PM »
Got the engine back from Frank, today.  He did the ring, end gap, new bushing for con-rod, and replaced the front bearing, which he said was rough.  I was pleased at how reasonable he was.  Louis, I think you mentioned that you run Prozinger 12/5.  Would that be a good prop to run with the engine on a TutorII?  Thanks...........Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 01:07:27 AM »
Got the engine back from Frank, today.  He did the ring, end gap, new bushing for con-rod, and replaced the front bearing, which he said was rough.  I was pleased at how reasonable he was.  Louis, I think you mentioned that you run Prozinger 12/5.  Would that be a good prop to run with the engine on a TutorII?  Thanks...........Glen

Hi Glen,

Louis will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is exactly the set up he is running on his Tutor II (which doesn't LOOK like a Tutor II!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »
Glenn,

Yes, I am running mine on a kit bashed Tutor II.  Use a ProZinger 12X5 and 10/20 fuel.  Yes, I said 10/20 fuel.  The ST51 gets plenty of cooling from all those fins.  The motor will actually cool too much using anything over 20% lube.  Try the ProZinger and the 10/20 fuel.  You will like it!!

I do thin the prop thickness a bit to reduce the load.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 08:33:33 PM »
Hi guys, I have a ST G51 and wouldn't recommend this engine for nothing but a boat anchor. It doesn't like to 4-2-4, had Frank put a new ring in her. With Frank's work, engine runs great, I don't believe they are made for stunt. I have Merco's, Fox's, K&B 61's, Enya's and older ST engines. These engines are the only stunt engines I have had that are any good. The G-51 likes to run at a hundred million RPM's sound like S&&h to me. I guess each to their own, I still love the old sound of the 4-2-4 runs. Gary
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:55:02 AM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 09:44:51 PM »
Hi guys, I have a ST G51 and wouldn't recommend this engine for nothing but a boat anchor. It doesn't like to 4-2-4, had Frank put a new ring in her. With Frank work engine runs great, I don't believe they are made for stunt. I have Merco's, Fox's, K&B 61's, Enya's and older ST engines. These engines are the only stunt engines I have had that are any good. The engine that likes to run at a hundred million RPM's sound like S&&h to me. I guess each to their own, I still love the old sound of the 4-2-4 runs. Gary

Yep, to each his own. ;D

But it is odd that yours doesn't like to 4-2.  I have had three, and they have given the best 4-2 runs I could ask for.  Every bit as good as my ST 46s, ST 60s, and even my Foxes!  IN fact, two of the very best planes I have ever had used the ST G51: a 64 oz SV-11 and a 54 oz. USA-1 which Derek Barry said was one of the best set ups he had ever flown......... ???
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 01:39:32 AM »
Yep, to each his own. ;D

But it is odd that yours doesn't like to 4-2.  I have had three, and they have given the best 4-2 runs I could ask for.  Every bit as good as my ST 46s, ST 60s, and even my Foxes!  IN fact, two of the very best planes I have ever had used the ST G51: a 64 oz SV-11 and a 54 oz. USA-1 which Derek Barry said was one of the best set ups he had ever flown......... ???
Hi Bill, is your G51's Italian or the Chinese type? I bought mine about a year ago from Tower, so did my brother, they both run the same. They start to run a hard four them seem to load up (acts like a bad glow plug), pinch fuel line for a few seconds, finally go into two cycle. Maybe to much fuel, reset needle valve, quarter turn, goes into two cycle.  Acts like venturi to large, its the same as my OS max 46 SF ABC piece of junk and the ST 46 Bullring piece of junk. Good looking motors just don't seem to run like my ST 46 G21 or my ST 60 V. The K&B 61 has a great 4-2-4 run, so does all my Merco's (35, 40, 49, 61 all of these Merco's run great!). If you heard a Enya 60 7032 or the Enya 46 model's 6001 and 6002, what great sounding engines. I just haven't had any luck with the other types, just me, had to gripe. I have a old Sig chipmonk that is set up for the OS 46 SF or the ST 46 Bullring and the ST G51, they fit and isn't it strange they all seem to run the same way, Ha Ha. Thought maybe tank, so I bench run each one of them, that wasn't the problem. Maybe fuel, I use GMA 10/22, add castor oil to 25%. I tried just the 10/22, didn't seem to make a different. All three of the engines run great, just won't 4-2-4 for me. Installed hotter glow plug, same problem. Missing something, take to R/C field, Ha Ha.  Appreciate your input, Gary

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 02:00:55 AM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 05:22:42 PM »
HI Gary,

After trying to remember, yes mine are Italian versions and have the "stunt" sleeves in them.  I guess that could be a reason.  ???
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 10:47:13 PM »
I bought one of the Chinese G51's as a throw away to use on a Tutor II arf.  I didn't want to put an Italian G51 on an untested plane.  Aside from minor cosmetic differences I can't tell any differences between it and the Italian 51's.  I run it in a fast 4 cycle, turning a 12-5 Rev Up prop, and it has more then enough power.  I've had a few issues with the engine running funny and they always trace back to a problem somewhere else in the system, a leaking overflow cap, bad fuel, bad plug, etc.  After correcting the problem the engine always comes back to running like a clock.  It's the polar opposite of the OS 46SF-S.  The OS has never run right, always inconsistent, running away, and generally disappointing.  Even after having it reworked it's still not in the same ballpark as the bargain basement Tigre 51. 

Offline Tom Cappadona

• New Pilot
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/trcap1us
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »
Glen,

Have you read what Randi had to say when he wrote about  " Fuel , GLO-plug and running tips" .    Could be the fuel/oil content might be your problem.

trcap1
Be all that you can be!

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »
The R/C version is happy running high RPM and low pitch.  The C/L version will give you a traditional stunt run using higher pitched props.  Mine is happy with a ProZinger 12X5 launching at 8500 RPM.  Growls in 4 and kicks into 2 just when you need it.

Louis,
I used an RC ST51 with an APC12.4 X 3.4 prop. This precludes any reference to high RPM. The motor is not going to do a 4/2/4 but is very consistant in it's running characteristics. Oh and to clarify further it was used in a funfly type R/C model with a reasonable amount of verticle maneuvering and throttle management to do the maneuvers. Very dependable smooth running motor. I'm going to use it on my next C/L project. I do have 2 C/L versions to fall back on but I'm not in the mood to run in another motor.
dennis

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 12:43:06 PM »
Finally got the G51 on the stand, today.  The weather cooled down.  Did two 5 min runs; had done two the first time.  The first time I ran it, back in July, I had to use a starter to get it to fire; true for both runs that day.  Today: 4 turns to choke; 3 flips without lighter; applied lighter, and got a start on the 3d flip.  Had some issues with the plug, but replaced it.  Second run after cool down: 4 choke turns, 3 flips w/o lighter: applied lighter and got a first-flip start.  Ran it at about 9000 for 5 minutes on both runs.  Anxious to get it on the plane so I can see if I get a good break when the nose goes up.  I think this is going to be a fine engine.  :)        Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »
The improved starting is probably due to better ring fit. It's my belief that insufficient ring gap is likely a huge problem with these engines, causing runaway, overheating, and no 4-2-4 break. A Bowman ring, gapped exactly, and installed properly, should make a huge difference in satisfaction. Inadequate ring gap may also explain why some recommend zero nitro and 25% castor oil. Too much ring gap might explain why others use 15% nitro and 20% synthetic/castor blend with success. Something to consider, anyway.

The only G.51 I've run was retimed in the manner of George Aldrich, has stock compression, and a fairly small venturi. It likes 5" to 6" pitch, 11 to 11.5" diameter.  I like an 11 x 6 Graupner, or 11.5 x 5 APC on it. The 12-5 Revup was not good, nor was a 12-5 Bull Y&O, a 12-4 APC, a 12.25 x 3.75 APC, etc. I'll soon have two T&L G.51's to try in the same plane, and expect a full 12 x 5 APC, Graupner, or Pro Zinger should be good starting points. Maybe even the Thunder Tiger Cyclone 12.5 x 5.5?  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here