News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:31:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: quick question on tank height  (Read 890 times)

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
quick question on tank height
« on: July 27, 2020, 07:04:32 PM »
Hi all, finished my Viking and on test flights engine went a little lean inverted. It's an LA40 mounted upright. Tank is mounted on the engine bearers held in place by cross bracing. question is do I have to raise the engine or the tank to cure the problem.

TIA

Rich

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: quick question on tank height
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:47:33 PM »
Raise engine or lower tank.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 12:11:42 PM »
Rich,
With the Viking I think you can just add a shim under the engine mount lugs, I would start with 1/32" brass or plywood (harden with CA) or plastic credit card stock.

Best,   DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 01:29:46 PM »
Even though I have gone over to the dark side I still have sympathy for those of you still facing the age old problem of needing to raise or lower the tank when you can't.  Back in the stone age of the 70's I used to make my own tanks and I came up with a way to make the uniflow vent adjustable (sorry Matt).  It is a bit of work to make but it worked.  Sorry for the crude drawing.

Ken

Forgot - a short length of flexible tubing on the uniflow if you use brass.  Copper bends easy enough and you can skip the tubing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:50:54 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 11:29:57 PM »
If none of the above suits the OP, either making a new tank or modifying the existing tank's plumbing is another option. Especially easy if you are running a uniflow plumbed tank.   n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here