News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: purple powermaster fuel  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Chris Belcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
purple powermaster fuel
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
Remember a few years back when Powermaster used purple dye in their fuel and it was staining airplanes? I recently bought two gallons of AIR 10 and it is purple and it DID stain my brand new white paint job on my latest plane. I can't remember all the details but they did change the GMA line to clear (no dye) but this is half castor and half synth. I need the AIR version which is 80/20 synth castor blend (maybe 70/30) at 18% total oil. I add 6 ozs of KLOTZ to get around 22% for my RoJett 40. This "blend" which I think is pretty close to the ROJETT blend no longer available, has a little castor in case I get a screaming lean run until I learn the needle setting and prop combos....but is mostly synthetic. Now, I have learned the combo and am getting really good runs so I want to switch to all synthetic.
So I have 2 questions:
1: Has AIR always been purple and is it staining anyone else's airplanes?
2: Now that I know I am not getting lean runs (RO Jett 40 runs like a sewing machine) I want to use straight synthetic. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MEAN GREEN? I think I read it causes plating of some sort?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: purple powermaster fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »
2: Now that I know I am not getting lean runs (RO Jett 40 runs like a sewing machine) I want to use straight synthetic. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MEAN GREEN? I think I read it causes plating of some sort?

Richard Oliver told me that after 3-4 runs, the engine would be so tight that it couldn't be started. The piston turned green. His solution was to *sand the piston* every 3-4 runs to get it loose enough to run. I couldn't recommend that for most people...

You can try it and see what happens, but beware.

Brett

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
Nope, not even gonna go there. This Rojett 40 runs really well on the AIR 10 with some Klotz added. I'll just live with the purple streaks on the bottom of the fuse. Or I know, I'll call and order a REAR exhaust and shoot the purple goo out the bottom! I'm in contact with Tommy Porfirio at VP but he says 99% of his customers want dye in their fuel, and I understand that...RC flyers want to be able to see how much fuel is in their tanks. Just wish they'd switch to a different dye...maybe a white one ;)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »
Chris, I never used the AIR 10 version so I can't help about the purple dye still being used.  I have a gallon of VP 10/22.  From what I remember, I got it at a Baton Rouge contest over a year ago.  It is "clear", not purple.  So, it appears that VP eliminated the purple dye for this mix.  There is an "item number" on the label but that may not mean anything, such as a lot number, to determine when the purple dye was discontinued.

I had a gallon of the purple stuff, I think it was 10/22, bought years ago.  It stained the white dope finish badly.  I ended up using it for bench runs.

I now mix my own.  Oil (castor and Klotz) from Sig, methanol from Smiley's Racing, nitro from a local guy who supplies fuels to local race tracks.  I never had a problem with the home brew and I can adjust the components as needed.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:37:18 PM »
Nope, not even gonna go there. This Rojett 40 runs really well on the AIR 10 with some Klotz added. I'll just live with the purple streaks on the bottom of the fuse. Or I know, I'll call and order a REAR exhaust and shoot the purple goo out the bottom! I'm in contact with Tommy Porfirio at VP but he says 99% of his customers want dye in their fuel, and I understand that...RC flyers want to be able to see how much fuel is in their tanks. Just wish they'd switch to a different dye...maybe a white one ;)
Chris:

This is totally brainstorming and may be shot down immediately but would a thin coat of Vaseline where the exhaust hits the bottom maybe protect it long enough to get it wiped down after the flight?  How about some automotive wax? 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
   Do like the Karate Kid; "Wax on, wax off!" Maybe rub out the stain and keep a good coat of wax on the bottom.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »
I recently bought a gallon of Air 10, it was a light "Klotz" shade of pink. The later  cans of purple fuel were labeled as such. Unless Tommy has told you directly that they are using purple dye again my guess is you have a really old can of 10%. Yes, it can stain planes, no, it didn't stain mine when I was using it. I would be more comfortable using straight Powermaster 18% lube  with an ounce Aero Oil than I would straight synthetic. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 12:10:21 AM »
I recently bought a gallon of Air 10, it was a light "Klotz" shade of pink.

Me, too, it was a light, vaguely disgusting pink, not the nearly opaque dark purple from before, and definitely not the original reddish pink. Almost like the original reddish color with small amounts of the purple dye. I haven't tried it to see if it stains yet.

Brett

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05:01 AM »
New report...I did have an old gallon of the dark purple stuff. Not from a stash, I just bought it...the lhs here was selling it. Went to another lhs and got a gallon of AIR 10. It is died purple but very lightly. It is not staining my plane. All is well....still want a rear exhaust Rojett 40 though. Great running engine.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 06:39:29 AM »
New report...I did have an old gallon of the dark purple stuff. Not from a stash, I just bought it...the lhs here was selling it. Went to another lhs and got a gallon of AIR 10. It is died purple but very lightly. It is not staining my plane. All is well....still want a rear exhaust Rojett 40 though. Great running engine.

Probably should ask off line but where did you find AIR 10 at an lhs?  Only usable I could find was Wildcat 10%

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Probably should ask off line but where did you find AIR 10 at an lhs? 

Didn't ask me, but I got mine at Sheldon's Hobbies in San Jose. I also know that it is usually available at RC Country in Sacramento, too (and David orders it through there, too). That might not help you directly, but I have only occasionally had to order it from a supplier (and that was direct from VP to get a "no dye" delivery right before the 2014 NATs), it's a hobby-shop item.

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »
Probably should ask off line but where did you find AIR 10 at an lhs?  Only usable I could find was Wildcat 10%

Ken
In Texas, just call Randy Ritch.

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
Hobbytown USA over in Bedford or NRH...not sure which city I'm in over there :P

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
I have no idea what kind of dye they use,but you can color your fuel using simple food coloring sold in your super market in the baked goods section. Just a few drops will do......PhillySkip

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 11:32:06 AM »
I still think the best answer is a new rear exhaust motor!!!! If it runs like the side ex I have now...rojetts really do run well and lots of very controllable power.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
I still think the best answer is a new rear exhaust motor!!!! If it runs like the side ex I have now...rojetts really do run well and lots of very controllable power.

Indeed. But it hardly solves the dye issue - fuel still comes out and still ends up on the bottom of the fuselage.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here