News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:49:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: heat gun on frozen engines?  (Read 797 times)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
heat gun on frozen engines?
« on: July 10, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »
I have several engines that, due to my not being able to got out to the shop for long periods, have become stuck.  A friend out at the field told me to try using a heat gun.  He has apparently had success with his motors.  I don't think my engines are really frozen, as I use after-run oil after I use them.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: heat gun on frozen engines?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
Soak them in fuel for about 30 minutes. This should free them up. Then, go run them right away so they don't sit with raw fuel in them. Heat will loosen them most of the time, but that doesn't really get the "gum" out of the engine.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
It is a good idea to remove the back plate and check to see if the rod is stuck to the wrist pin. If it is, free it before running the engine. Heat from a soldering gun is sometimes needed to do that job along with a good penetrating oil. If you run it stuck it wears on the piston wrist pin holes
Jim Kraft

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
Sure do appreciate the quick responses.  Won't be flying until this fall, due to heat-related instructions from my mean old cardiologist, but will sure follow your advice.  BTW, that "mean old cardiologist" has kept me alive and active for many years, for which I am very appreciative.

Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »
Glen,

Another thing you can do is to put them in the oven at 250 for 15 minutes or when you start smelling the castor residue. And it's best to wait until the wife goes shopping............ y1

Good luck, Jerry

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
The Heat Gun beats Boiling Water , Temperature Wise .

A old trick was to use on Tight ABC engines , for initial runs / start up .

Here were its a ' bit chilly ' at the moment , carefull working over / around - to bring up to temperature
over the whole case ( bare ) at least initially , might save a cracked / warped block .

Definately , for dropping bearings in & out , the Temp Exceededs boiling water ( Aldi had Temp lazers last week , didnt get one . )
and got them dropping out with no bother .

For a stuck engine , That or the oven . A Engine Castored for decades can take some time to de solidify .

Best to pull backplate to ensure your turning INTO con rod , puling / stretching , the rod , can lead to tears .
Particularly on  little cheap diesels etc , or stretch / oval the rod ends / bearings .

Really Stuck , a good squirt of CRC or suchlike Ea Heat Cycle , will help the penetration , for grossly neglected cast offs .  :(

A few fingers turning a prop or spanners maybe ok , wrestling it full force with your palms , may lead to trouble .
Heat Mitts / Gloves are gunnabe required .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here