News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:03:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PropyleneOxide and/or acetone in your fuel?  (Read 3069 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
PropyleneOxide and/or acetone in your fuel?
« on: November 17, 2018, 05:35:36 PM »
        Hello:

Has anybody used poly

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: PropyleneOxide and/or acetone in your fuel?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 05:43:24 PM »
        Hello:

Has anybody used poly

"Poly"?

I have used PO in the usual low amounts, and on rare occasions for experiments, acetone. Nothing useful was found for stunt applications, as far as I am concerned.

The acetone was intended to dissolve the clear gelatinous blobs that were found floating in some fuel we had at the 1995 NATs. Dissolved the blobs, sort of, and had no other detectable effects. And the fuel ran almost how it had before.

Brett

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
I believe that acetone is used with FAI fuel for cold weather flying. That and wrapping your cylinder with aluminum foil holds the heat in for consistent runs.

Dennis

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 07:18:45 PM »
FAI speed uses only 20%caster and 80% Alky
prop was used in speed and racing to help light of 75 % nitro instead of Alky.a little acetone will dissolve small amounts of water in the fuel.
rad racer

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 09:22:43 PM »
        Hello:

Has anybody used poly

Those two are  VERY different chemicals,  PO will increase power, it is very dangerous to be around, and  evaporate  really fast

The only use  I have found for  acetone in the fuel, is  it will extend the run time a few laps if your critically  short on time, I would not use more than 1 ounce in a gallon

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »
Those two are  VERY different chemicals,  PO will increase power, it is very dangerous to be around, and  evaporate  really fast

The only use  I have found for  acetone in the fuel, is  it will extend the run time a few laps if your critically  short on time, I would not use more than 1 ounce in a gallon

A small amount of acetone was able to dissolve the clear globs that were floating around in the bad batches of SIG fuel at the 1995 NATs. I want to say I tried about an ounce in a half-gallon of fuel. Shook it up, no more globs, and even weeks later, it stayed that way. It still ran poorly, so I gave it to some RC guys and it ran bad for them, too.

It didn't do much if anything to the white flakes I got from Red Max castor oil. If anything, it made even more flakes.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 01:33:14 PM »
   A small amount of acetone was able to dissolve the clear globs that were floating around in the bad batches of SIG fuel at the 1995 NATs. I want to say I tried about an ounce in a half-gallon of fuel. Shook it up, no more globs, and even weeks later, it stayed that way. It still ran poorly, so I gave it to some RC guys and it ran bad for them, too.

It didn't do much if anything to the white flakes I got from Red Max castor oil. If anything, it made even more flakes.

Brett

Yep. that is why I said only useful thing... and  those  white  flecks/flakes are  really hard to get rid of,  The  chemical additive  Lubricin  that SIG and  many others  sold  was  very bad  about flecking the castor in fuel, especially when it was  cold
and  they can and  did  stop up spraybars

Randy

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »
I believe that acetone is used with FAI fuel for cold weather flying.
In America, FAI fuel just means any fuel that has zero nitro, regardless of the type or quantity of oil used. Acetone up to about 3% is said to aid starting and give smoother idling similar to around 5% nitro. Shell A Racing fuel comes with 3% acetone and can only be bought in their own 20 litre drums but for decades was the only easily available methanol in Australia. Apparently Shell used the acetone because it reduces the hygroscopic property of Methanol.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »
Coleman lantern fuel would be more beneficial for stunt or sport flying, IMO. Something like 1% > 3% will improve the fuel economy (I'm not a fan, but sometimes there's a need) and starting.

Ronson lighter fluid is handy for starting, but it's just a handy dispenser full of naphtha, which you can buy cheaper at the hardware or paint store. It's very volatile, so it wouldn't make sense to mix it in the fuel, IMO.

In George Aldrich's excellent article in AeroModeller Annual back in the '60's (can't say what year, as I don't have that year), he said to never use propylene oxide in fuel with alcohol. He didn't say why, as I recall, but it will tend to give pre-ignition. I actually did use PO with alcohol, but used a fair amount of Nitro Benzine (4%-8%) with it, or later, Amyl Acetate in much smaller (1%) percentages. George's information didn't help me, but eventually explained why what I was doing worked. When the nitro content gets very high, it's difficult to get it to light up and run. With 75%-80% nitro and 20%-25% oil, it just won't start with an appropriately cold glowplug. Maybe with an inappropriate 4-cycle glowplug?  D>K Steve
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:10:38 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
Coleman lantern fuel would be more beneficial for stunt or sport flying, IMO. Something like 1% > 3% will improve the fuel economy (I'm not a fan, but sometimes there's a need) and starting.

Agreed, that's probably better in theory than acetone. But you might actually have acetone with you (for cleaning lines) in those rare cases you need it, whereas you probably won't have lantern fuel and probably don't want to carry it around with you on the off chance you need to get another 10-15 seconds.

Note that lacquer thinner ALSO adds a bit of time, and I have used it for that purpose, because, again, that's what I had at the time.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
Perhaps not of interest to glo flyers.  I have experimented with spark ignition fuel.  I have used Coleman lantern and SAE 70 motor oil.  Oil makes a mess all over the plane.  So I wanted to use castor oil.  Castor would not mix with Coleman, so I added about 4 tablespoons acetone to a quart of Coleman/castor mix.  It solved the mix problem, and the castor oil exhaust doesn't seem to stick to the plane so much.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »

In George Aldrich's excellent article in AeroModeller Annual back in the '60's (can't say what year, as I don't have that year), he said to never use propylene oxide in fuel with alcohol. He didn't say why, as I recall, but it will tend to give pre-ignition. I actually did use PO with alcohol, but used a fair amount of Nitro Benzine (4%-8%) with it, or later, Amyl Acetate in much smaller (1%) percentages. George's information didn't help me, but eventually explained why what I was doing worked. When the nitro content gets very high, it's difficult to get it to light up and run. With 75%-80% nitro and 20%-25% oil, it just won't start with an appropriately cold glowplug. Maybe with an inappropriate 4-cycle glowplug?  D>K Steve

George Aldrich wrote a comprehensive piece on engines in the 68-69 Aeromodeller Annual.  The title of the article is "Secrets of Engine Performance".  He gives various formulae of fuels for various purposes and showed a "Fuel Ingredient Glossary".  He uses Propelene Oxide in various mixtures.  In the Glossay, he explains the Propelene Oxide (P.O.) is "an igniter used to 'set off' Nitro Methane and it is not to be used with methanol".  He does not elaborate any more on the use of P.O.

(BTW, I have all issues of the Aeromodeller Annual from 1948 to 1978-79.)

Keith

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »
Coleman fuel (called Shellite in Australia) is a form of very pure petrol but only has an octane rating of 50-55 so wouldn't take kindly to too much ignition advance. However it's a mineral fuel while castor is vegetable based so can't mix together. Acetone is a cosolvent which allows them to mix. Same goes for diesel fuel where kerosene (mineral base) has castor but, happily, the necessary ether is also a cosolvent.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »
We had some pulse jet fuel with many pollys and proolenes & di oxides in it , centuries ago .

It was good. If you left a set firbreglass resin set paint brush in it overnight , it was like new in the morning .  LL~ S?P

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 01:44:25 AM »
George Aldrich wrote a comprehensive piece on engines in the 68-69 Aeromodeller Annual.  The title of the article is "Secrets of Engine Performance".  He gives various formulae of fuels for various purposes and showed a "Fuel Ingredient Glossary".  He uses Propelene Oxide in various mixtures.  In the Glossay, he explains the Propelene Oxide (P.O.) is "an igniter used to 'set off' Nitro Methane and it is not to be used with methanol".  He does not elaborate any more on the use of P.O.

(BTW, I have all issues of the Aeromodeller Annual from 1948 to 1978-79.)

Keith

Propylene oxide  works very well or increasing  power in methanol fuel, and YES  it is  used in methanol based fuel.  It is  an oxidizer  and  carries more oxygen into the engine, boosting horse power and torque.  I have used  100s of gallons of fuel with  P.O. in it, and  by the way  it is  dangerous, a carcinogen irritates skin and  eyes, can cause cancer. I used  to keep it in glass gallon jugs, but no more

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here