News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Propylene oxide or Acteone used in fuel: Results??????????????  (Read 1376 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Propylene oxide or Acteone used in fuel: Results??????????????
« on: November 17, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
     Has anybody used these in their fuel? If so, what were the results?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Propylene oxide or Acteone used in fuel: Results??????????????
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
I have been told that Propylene Oxide allows you to use more Nito. It both helps produce power and improves mixing.

I have used Aerodyne 65% +P fuel and it is killer. You won’t believe how a Cub .049 performs on that stuff!  :D

Never heard of adding Acetone. Try a small amount on the bench in an engine you can afford to lose.... keep the oil percent the same for safety. Compare RPM and fuel economy and tell us how it goes!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:46:03 PM »
RE:  Prop. Oxide:   OMG Yes, it makes Cox .049's really go! Like Larry said, his Cox Venom still holds the AMA Class I Mouse Racing Final record using 65% nitro & 15% prop Oxide fuel that was freshly blended a few hours earlier & fuel container kept in an ice chest as the temp was 90 F plus.  Using 70% nitro & 10% Prop Oxide fuel holds the British Vintage Class 1 record as well.
My tests showed 65% + P.O. fuel gives more speed ( ~ 1,000 or more RPM) and more range than regular Sig 35% fuel.
But that high performance doesn't come free. If the fuel doesn't blow crankshafts, the piston life is much shortened compared to normal fuels... so it's a trade-off.
I've found such fuels are unusually harsh on Cox glow plugs if used at a rainy contest. Still goes well, but plugs don't last. In hot dry temps, plug life is much better.

P.O. also works well in larger engines like 40's & 70 nitro, 10 P.O. & 20 % Oil was a very good AMA speed fuel back in the day when it was allowed. I don't know it if was used in the longer running events like pylon racing. One either must have relatively short runs or have excellent cooling (ducting) because this fuel runs Hotter than normal!

Prop Oxide demands a REALLY well sealed container as it will leave fuel easily if your fuel can / bottle is less than perfectly sealed.
Also, I've found adding 3-5% prop oxide runs well for .15 pylon engines (Club 20) when flown in the Canadian Winter at temps up to -10C. (As does adding 1-2% Ether for great starting)

Back in the old days, Acetone was only added in glow fuel fuel ~ 2-3% in hopes of it preventing the alcohol from absorbing water when flying during a rainy contest.  No real test trials were done to prove it one way or another.  Most of us no longer fly in the rain if we don't have to...  Acetone does indeed melt dope finishes though!

Cheers,

Paul

Online Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 07:00:33 AM »
There was one racer who back in the day used 65% nitro 6% alcohol and 29% castor oil in his rat race fuel for Ringed Hp40rr engines.  He used acetone to get the nitro to mix with the castor oil.  Kind of like a reverse superfuel.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 09:18:01 AM »
It seems the acetone adds octane and slows the burn rate. Works in high ether and high nitro, only need a few % from what I have read. There is a YouTube video of a burn test where they put some acetone in an empty water jug and light it, just kinda burns. Then they do the same test with alcohol and boom it ignited and shot the jug off.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here