News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proper way to mount a muffler?  (Read 377 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Proper way to mount a muffler?
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:00:58 PM »
        Hello All:

I am going to start using mufflers for the first time.  What is the best way to mount them?  Should I use lock washers on the mounting screws. Loctite, some type of sealer between the muffler and the exhaust stack?

I have a supply of the older engines that use strap on mufflers, OS, Enya etc.  Are these taboo by today standards?

Suggestions/Comments?

Tia,

Frank

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Re: Proper way to mount a muffler?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »
Hello
I use a lot of older Fox, OS, K&B and Enya engines with aftermarket mufflers by Tatone and stack or tongue mufflers by DuBro or Brodak etc . Those held with a worm clamp seem to hold on better then those with coarse thread bolts like the Tatone with a solid strap. Tatone recommend you use silicon sealer to help seal and hold them in place and this definitely helps.

Regards Gerald

N.B make sure your motor does not get too hot and if it does drill out or open up the muffler outlet to keep it happy or go to a larger muffler type.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here