News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plastic uniflow clunk tanks  (Read 13812 times)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Plastic uniflow clunk tanks
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2019, 01:02:14 AM »
I get the non-steady air intake flow situation with its "square wave" characteristic. (See reply #41) Further, I imagine that muffler pressure is a damped version of same, out of phase by ~140 degrees.

Since viscosity is the measurement of resistance to flow, and the simplest viscosity measurement is a gravity drain-down procedure by convention, that is a good starting point. Determine the characteristic of a fuel mixture and it's temperature sensitivity. If it is only a few percent over the temp range likely to be encountered during one run, then the system should not be so critical as to make the whole bus fall off the cliff.

Would also be interesting to scrounge up a low mass TC and insert it into the tank outlet and see if the temp rise is significant. That would back up any calculations. My gut feel is that the heat content of one tank volume of displacement air will not be greatly significant--but there are neither calcs or tests to support that yet.

I will keep thinking about it.

Dave

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2019, 12:35:38 PM »

Would also be interesting to scrounge up a low mass TC and insert it into the tank outlet and see if the temp rise is significant. That would back up any calculations. My gut feel is that the heat content of one tank volume of displacement air will not be greatly significant--but there are neither calcs or tests to support that yet.

The experience has been that, if anything happens, the mixture goes rich at the end of the tank. We always figured it was because the fuel has had more time to heat up, the hot fuel (which has been at the inboard edge, due to the density gradient) gets to the pickup, and the temperature rise was higher because its easier to heat 1/2 ounce of fuel than 7 ounces.

BTW, consider the possibility of a fuel "pre-heater" that uses a radiator that passes the fuel through or around the exhaust header to heat it before it gets to the spraybar. It's a feedback loop to control the EGT.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »
My experience has been that the "warning" depends greatly on model yaw and tank "skewing". Typically, the problem is that the "warning" kicks in much too early and the engine beeps on/off and takes 10 laps or so to finally stop running. This suggests that fixing the "no warning" should be easy enough, by shimming the front of the tank outward...opposite of what we typically have to do to stop the bleeping beeping.   ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here