News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:22:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tower Hobbies engines??  (Read 3491 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tower Hobbies engines??
« on: November 24, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »
     Hello:

Who made the engines marked TOWER HOBBIES and are they worth cleaning and using?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tower Hobbies engines??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:20:39 PM »
Who?  I think OS -- but if not, then they're a good copy of OS engines.

Worth cleaning and using?  Absolutely.  I've got a Tower 40 in my "good engines" pile (actually, it's on a plane right now).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
     Hello:

Who made the engines marked TOWER HOBBIES and are they worth cleaning and using?

Tia,

Frank McCune

They were made in Taiwan by of all things a company that made sewing machines. The 40 was a direct copy of the OS40fp. Just made better and to a higher standard than the original. It boasted an abc P/L set and most of its parts were machined not cast like the OS engine. This engine and the Thunder Tigre 40 GP have complete parts interchangeability with the FP 40. They made other engines for Tower Hobbies including a 15 car engine. and a 46 and 61. While the engines were excellent like many Asian products the carbs were a source of contention especially with the 46. it has been quite a few years since Tower stopped selling them and there was a rumor that OS leaned on Tower to discontinue the 40 or else. Totally unproven though.
Outside of that the 40 is still a sought out engine because unlike the OS it needs no modification to be at least a steady running engine unlike the sometimes unpredictable antics of the FP.

Dennis

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:49:58 PM »
They were made in Taiwan by a company that made sewing machines as their main product. They obviously did contract casting and machining (and a very fine job of it, too). I believe the T.40 was the only Tower engine made by that company. All the rest were/are apparently made in PRC. I've only seen one Tower .46 used for CL Stunt, and it didn't seem "happy".   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:03:45 AM »
     Hi:

Thanks for the replies.

A friend of mine of mine is giving me a Tower Hobbies .40 and a .60 engine that he won on E Bay.  The .61 is marked CHINA and the .40 has no markings denoting country of origin. Bot are totally "stuck" so badly that nothing can be moved on either engine not even a screw!   I love to attempt to resurrect these type of engines.  I love a challenge.  You have to see the last two Lawnboy mowers and a John Deere L110 riding mower that I saved!  I have a Lawnboy 21" self propelled that is a basket case for my next challenge! I guess that one could call me a Lawnboy junkie.  I am only interested in the Lawnboy mowers that has the alloy decks. The smell of two cycle smoke in the evening , Victory! Thus far, I have been very fortunate with rebuilding walk behind and riding mowers along with some model airplane engines from the junk barrel  I am running out of space to store all of my saves. Lol Time for a Spring sale!

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
Frank,

You might try putting those stuck engines in the oven for 15 minutes at 250-300 degrees, or until you begin to smell the castor oil. (Of course the wife won't like it, but when she's shopping.....)

Most of the time they will come loose and you can get them apart for further cleaning. (Crock pot)

Good Luck, Jerry

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
     Hi Gerald:

I use a toaster oven set at about 300 degrees F to loosen the engines to help facilitate a tear down.  I have never had an engine that did not yield to this practice.  Heat is very good to loosen stuck screws in engines.  I have never had a gasket get stuck and tear after the engine had been heated. My source of stuck engines soaks them in kerosene for a week prior to attempting to dismantle them.  Of course this does nothing to aid in taking an engine apart.  He is also the guy who used pliers on a ST .46 to attempt to remove the cylinder.  On ruined cylinder.

As I type this note, I am attempting to remove steel screws from an aluminum Lawnboy that have been in place since 1973. Lol  I can not heat them so I am relying on my penetrating oil for a miracle! I also had this same problem when working on motorcycles but I could use an impact driver to break them loose. The Lawwnboy is too fragile for an impact driver!

Thanks for the reply,

Frank McCune

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »
I have personal memories of pushing a Lawn Boy. Light and good runners. OMC products, cousins to Johnson, Evinrude and Gale outboards. Howard Rush likes them also...good way to dispose of old glow fuel...even better smells from late afternoon mowings. Hard to imagine not using an impact driver, tho. Maybe not with my 3 lb drilling hammer, but something less violent should be safe enough if you stop after just getting it to turn 1/4 turn!  #^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 07:31:05 AM »
     Hi Steve:

I removed the offending stuck screw by PFM after soaking it in penetrating oil for about 6 hours.  I resorted to a PROPER fitting screwdriver bit used in an 1/4" ratchet wrench.  The head of the screw was 5/16" but all of my 5/16" sockets were too loose leading to potential stripping of the hex head.

It was strange that this was the only fastener that was not more than finger tight on the entire engine.  I have not attacked the fasteners that lie under the deck, but these are seldom if ever very tight.  Lawnboy instructs one to place a bit of thread locker on all fasteners when reinstalling them!  The nut or bolt that secures the blade should only be used a maximum of four times.  This too is installed with thread locker.

I have provided my wife with two of the 1971 Lawnboy mowers that weigh less than her vacuum cleaner.  Yes, I know, I have spoiled her! Must keep the little lady happy!  What a man!

Have a great Holiday Season,

Frank

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here