News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phantom P30 guts  (Read 7152 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Phantom P30 guts
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »
No question or applicability to stunt here, but since I had the Phantom P30 apart, I thought you might find the guts of it interesting since it is so unusual.

The engine was originally an Atwood design, but somewhere after Atwood quit, someone formed the "Phantom" company and continued making it. It is a "29", actually .298 to get just under the limit for class B. Ignition, of course, but this engine was later converted to glow (by someone who shall remain nameless aside from Richard Melvyn "Mel" Buck, my father, using a delicate technique involving a hammer to the timer case). It was reportedly used to set the last "B" Speed record that was below 100 mph, using a stripped-down hollow log P-51 Mustang kit and a 9-12 (!) prop. This was in Little Rock, Arkansas, at a flying site where Memorial stadium now sits, maybe in 1946-7. I say maybe and am equivocal because it appears to be one of those stories that got better over time.

What I found interesting about this engine is the gas path. Basically, the gas comes from the crankshaft passage in to the crankcase, then travels through a hole in the side of the piston on either side into small "pockets" in the sides of the cylinder, then gets trapped there as the piston comes down. As the piston moves further down, the pockets are then uncovered by the piston and the charge wafts gently into the cylinder, where it is compressed and then ignited, then out the exhaust. The exhaust is two long narrow tubes brazed to the cylinder fore/aft. ALL of the charge comes through the holes in the sides of the piston.

Several things about this - first, the dismally small size of the pockets severely limits the quantity of the charge and therefore the power. Unlike modern engines where the piston coming down forces the gas charge into the cylinder under some pressure and with some velocity, this one merely traps the charge under nearly no pressure. Nothing forces it into the cylinder, it just sort of drifts out. This is greatly inhibited by the exhaust gas left over from the previous stroke, where it would clearly just mix with it with no propensity to go up to the top of the cylinder and force out the exhaust. The result has to be absurdly dismal power, and extremely inefficient use of the charge. It had to be even worse on glow, where you need much more volume of fuel/air charge. I guess we know why you need a FOOT of pitch to go <100 mph, this guy was not going to spin very fast at all and had to have had power on the order of an TeeDee 049 at best (although at maybe 4000 rpm and a tenth of a horse or so, it was a fair bit of torque). That's actually reasonably consistent with a flight speed around 100 mph, presuming it was whipped heavily to get the prop unstalled - also as reported - it would have pretty decent prop efficiency at that low RPM.

My Uncle Donnie cracked the piston in an attempt to "grow" it as mentioned in the other thread, so it's no longer runnable, so I can't check the performance at this point, but it had to be pretty sad, and getting 100 mph out of it was quite an accomplishment, if true. I know the airplane existed with this engine in it, since I have the pictures of it with my dad holding it.

Here are some pictures of the cylinder, piston, and crankcase, so you can see what I am talking about.

Brett

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Phantom P30 guts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »
Thanks for posting Brett. That is what makes these old engines so interesting as everybody had a different idea of the way to make an engine. I have quite a few, and have gotten rid of a bunch, but they are all unique. To bad about the piston. On the two that I have done I had no problems. I do believe the Super Cyke pistons were cast and then machined, and they also have fairly thick walls.
Jim Kraft

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
I'd suspect that porting is like a very crude Dooling system where all gas flow goes through the piston ports into the transfer bulge. The Dooling piston ports are still open to the bulge even at BDC and I'd be surprised if that P30 wasn't as well.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Hi Brett,

I hope you had a great Christmas!

Thanks for posting the pictures.  I have never seen a Phantom .30 before!  As to the piston, I am pretty sure there is a machinist (actual or hobbyist) who could make another for you, then you could power your 2013 NATS plane with an authentic Phantom 30!  Let me know how you set up the pipe for that one.   Maybe a 30" wingspan if piped??

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »
I'd suspect that porting is like a very crude Dooling system where all gas flow goes through the piston ports into the transfer bulge. The Dooling piston ports are still open to the bulge even at BDC and I'd be surprised if that P30 wasn't as well.
That's what it looks like to me.  To my calibrated eyeball, the spacing from the piston crown to the cutout reads as less than the height of the port (from honed cylinder to honed cylinder).  'course, my eyeballs haven't been sent in to the lab for calibration in quite a while, so I could be all wet.  Maybe we could put Brett up to sticking a ruler down that cylinder to see.

Too bad about the piston.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:45:54 PM »
Had never seen one of those...
Thanks for posting.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
A truly ancient design.  Glad the designers have gotten better over the years.  Hard to imagine an engine like that pulling an Impact around.
phil Cartier

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:43:50 AM »
Hello Brett,
I think you are a little harsh on the P30 performance. I have a couple of them and they are not exactly the sort of slouch you describe. Certainly nowhere near modern standards of performance. But not bad at all, compared with contempory engines. I do run them on spark and with the "as supplied" large aluminium spinner they certainly look a handsome design.
I don't think that I would even contemplate heating that piston with a torch of any kind! The hole is far too big! This is a case in point of using a slow ramping oven!
Thanks for the photos, I am sure they will be appreciated by the many people who have never seen a P30, let alone the innards!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
Hi Andrew, I first obtained a P30 around 1954. It had powered a large low wing boxy airplane for a couple older cousins and they gave it to me after they had moved on to full size aviating. They had converted it to glow. I flew a number of different airplanes with it and I recall that it did well on an All Amerrican Sr.  I now have three P30s, one of each rendition. They run well on spark and will pull a surprising amount of prop at about 7500 rpm. On glow they like less diameter but pitch seems to remain about the same.
The first version (1941) has a single bolt on ex stack, the second version (1946) has two round stacks  on a bolt on die casting and the last vesion (1947) has the brazed on round stacks.  I think that the P30 is an interesting and unique engine in design as well as execution. I will run one on the test stand every now and then just for the sound and the wonder of seeing it pull as much prop as they will.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 08:22:22 PM »
Its a great post, and very interesting to see older engines like this. !!

Brett  an old FORD camshaft would be a great piece to make a new piston for the P 30

Randy

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
Brett  an old FORD camshaft would be a great piece to make a new piston for the P 30

Are you thinking it's a cast cylinder with a steel piston?

I'm looking at the cylinder and wondering if it's not machined, with some oddball stamping process to get the bulges.  The exhaust stacks could be brazed on -- their ends certainly look machined, and that says that they, at least, are probably steel.  And a close look at the crack on the piston sure makes me think that it's cast.

I think old Ford camshafts were steel, not cast iron.  But, I haven't played with them closely enough to know.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:41 AM »

I'm looking at the cylinder and wondering if it's not machined, with some oddball stamping process to get the bulges.  The exhaust stacks could be brazed on -- their ends certainly look machined, and that says that they, at least, are probably steel.  And a close look at the crack on the piston sure makes me think that it's cast.

I think old Ford camshafts were steel, not cast iron.  But, I haven't played with them closely enough to know.

I think the "bypass" is made by cutting/grinding a square hole in the side of the cylinder, and then has a plate brazed over the hole. It's pretty obvious that it each bypass has a separate cap over it. The exhaust stacks are clearly separate parts brazed on. In fact, I think each stack is two-peice, a straight tube with a machined plug brazed into the blank end.

Overall, like many of the engines of the day, the workmanship looks pretty darn good, despite the bizarre design. This is clearly no slag motor.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »

I'm looking at the cylinder and wondering if it's not machined, with some oddball stamping process to get the bulges.  The exhaust stacks could be brazed on -- their ends certainly look machined, and that says that they, at least, are probably steel.  And a close look at the crack on the piston sure makes me think that it's cast.

I think old Ford camshafts were steel, not cast iron.  But, I haven't played with them closely enough to know.

The old ones I have are cast iron, and a good quality casting too.
Crankshafts were steel , maybe some camshafts but not the ones I have .
Most camshafts are cast from a high grade iron with a little chrome combined in the matrix, the chilled casting process makes a pretty hard and durable iron cam

Randy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:30:19 AM by RandySmith »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 10:21:18 AM »
You could make one from Aluminum too, if you used the 30% silicone stuff

Randy

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
The Madewell 49 has the same kind of bypasses with holes in the piston.  I think the same is true of the Vivell 35, but do not know for sure. The K&B 4011 has two holes in the piston and two in the liner to give more access to the bypass. I think, but don't recall for sure, that the K&B 61 has the same. 

My one engine hopup was of a K&B Series 75 35, for Midwest Sport Race. I made the airplane go ten miles an hour faster, from 90 MPH to 100 MPH.  The piston skirt at BDC was well below the lower edge of the liner, and so partially blocked the bypass entrance.  I cut a rectangular piece out of the piston skirt to remove the blockage.  Seemed to work OK.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 03:21:40 AM »
Hello Jim,
  I had forgotten that the Madewell 49 (and Vivell 35) were the same type porting as the P30! The Madewell 49 is an excellent engine for stunt and one that I would recommend even though the rest of my choices would be 60s.
   There are not many ignition engines that have sufficient power to drive a vintage C/L stunt plane with authority, but the Madewell 49 is certainly one of those spark engines! I suspect that Brett would be very surprised at the power output from a Madewell 49, even with its odd porting. Maybe when Brett retires from the top level of stunt, he will give vintage a try?
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »
My good friend Jim Lee flew a Humongous with a Madewell 49 for years with great success. I was always amazed at the power it put out. I had one in a dragon for a while, but after breaking two crankshafts I decided to give it up. Jim Lee never had a problem with shafts breaking as far as I know. I have had the best luck with Anderson Spitfires. They start easy, run well, and seem to last forever.

Andrew, I have lucked out flying old ignition engines in Old Time Stunt, and I would love to go up against Brett Buck flying in Old Time. I am sure he would win at that as well as he does in PA, but it sure would be fun.
Jim Kraft

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 11:05:58 AM »
Hello Jim,
  I had forgotten that the Madewell 49 (and Vivell 35) were the same type porting as the P30! The Madewell 49 is an excellent engine for stunt and one that I would recommend even though the rest of my choices would be 60s.
   There are not many ignition engines that have sufficient power to drive a vintage C/L stunt plane with authority, but the Madewell 49 is certainly one of those spark engines! I suspect that Brett would be very surprised at the power output from a Madewell 49, even with its odd porting. Maybe when Brett retires from the top level of stunt, he will give vintage a try?

By the time I "retire" I will be able to use a 40VF in Vintage. I have at least one *original* airplane that will soon be legal for "Rolling Cutoff Classic" or whatever it is called.

Uncle Jimby ran a Madewell 49 in his "Circle King". He reported a tremendous improvement in performance with a stock LA46.  Certainly it would not provide good performance in a modern stunt plane. The larger engines like the Orwick 64, Spitfire, etc. run very nicely and would be an adequate power match for replacing an ST60.

Brett

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
I've never seen a Madewell or Vivell but I'd suspect their piston porting is the same as many other engines (for instance the early OS Max 15, many of the Enyas, K&B etc) where the piston porting was in addition to the normal transfer port that connects down into the crankcase. The reason for doing this was that it helped clear any mixture that tended to get trapped inside the piston but also helped cool the piston crown and lubricate the upper rod bush. It's an excellent feature and I don't know why it's been overlooked in modern Schneurle ported engines although there are a couple that use it but I think only in car engines.

One photo shows my Enya 60-IIIB with its matching piston and liner ports which of course has a normal transfer passage as well.
The other photo shows the transfer ports inside my Dooling 29 which have no direct connection to the crankcase itself as in the P30.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »
Golly!  I have A Vivell 35 nd two Madewell 49 engines.  I've restored all of them to spark ignition, but didn't pay much attention to porting.  They looked "conventional" to me.

I once restored an Atom .099.  It featured (?) a poppet valve in the top of the piston to inlet the gas charge into the cylinder.  The hardest job was to get that poppet to seat properly.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:06 AM »
Hello Brett,
I would certainly hope that an LA46 would outperform a Madewell 49 anyday! If it didn't, then what have engine developers been doing this last 60 years? I agree entirely that something like an Orwick 64 would be an equivalent to an ST60 , but I am a bit puzzled by your statement about putting a vintage engine in a modern stunt plane. Who on earth would want to do that? The Madewell49 performs extremely well in a vintage style plane of moderate dimensions and weight. I have had no problems with Madewell 49s in such planes and I have seen others in the UK do exactly the same. Simply a matter of horses for courses. I enjoy the old stuff and I wouldn't want anyone to be put off giving it a try. Just don't expect modern plane or engine performance and enjoy the way it was! I get more fun doing this, than flying modern F2b  and enjoying yourself is what it should be all about. Each to their own, it would be boring if everyone flew the same sort of model!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »
Could someone post a picture of the Madewell 49?  The bypass is on the side of the cylinder and the only way fuel/air gets into the bypass is through the piston. 

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
This is the Madewell 49, with the smaller Vivell 35 behind.  Note that the brazed-on bypass cover extends down to the crankcase flange, and the crankcase casting is "bulged" out at that point to match the bypass cover.  This indicates conventional bypass porting with a continuous passage from lower crankcase to the top of the bypass assembly.  Any "holes" in the piston would be unnecessary.

These are running engines in perfect condition, so I'm not going to take them apart to look inside!

Floyd

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
I just pulled my Madewell apart, and Jim is right. There is no passage from the crankcase to the bypass except through the square hole in the piston that matches up with the hole in the bypass. I had not really paid any attention to this before when I had it appart to change broken crankshafts.
Jim Kraft

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
I would certainly hope that an LA46 would outperform a Madewell 49 anyday! If it didn't, then what have engine developers been doing this last 60 years? I agree entirely that something like an Orwick 64 would be an equivalent to an ST60 , but I am a bit puzzled by your statement about putting a vintage engine in a modern stunt plane. Who on earth would want to do that?

and previously:

The Madewell 49 is an excellent engine for stunt

Lots of people are still asking about these sorts of ancient engines in real stunt planes, and for sport use. You see it here all the time, search for how many people want to know "which is better for a Ringmaster, a Fox or McCoy?" When the real answer is either one is terrible with respect to modern alternatives.

Maybe you meant something different, but a Madewell 49 is not an excellent engine for stunt in the year 2013.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »
   By the time I "retire" I will be able to use a 40VF in Vintage. I have at least one *original* airplane that will soon be legal for "Rolling Cutoff Classic" or whatever it is called.
Brett

HI Brett
What model would that be?  Did you compete at the Cinn Ohio Contest back in the mid 80?  I seem to remember seeing you then, and I thought you may have been a some of those events.
I don't remember you at any of the Lexington contest I went to, but I did miss quite a few in the 80s

I think the rolling date event you refer to is Nostalgia 30. Rolling date Classic was killed off by a couple of people years ago.

Randy

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
Hello Brett,
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing here. A lot of people in UK fly vintage style planes from the late 40s and very early 50s. There is also a desire to use authentic engines. A Madewell 49 Is an excellent choice for one of these designs that are medium size (for the period) and reasonably lightweight (as were most deigns of the period, some even stick and tissue!)
  I don't know what condition the Madewell 49 was in, that you mention. If you have a Madewell 49 that isn't seriously worn, then you will have a good combination. I fly and have flown large period stunters with spark ignition 60 power (Super Cyclone, Anderson Spitfire, Orwick 64 etc, even a McCoy 60 on sparks). I find the smaller, Madewell powered planes to give little away to the larger 60 powered sparkies. I can only surmise that the Madewell in question was seriously down on power!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 12:54:59 PM »
HI Brett
What model would that be?  Did you compete at the Cinn Ohio Contest back in the mid 80?  I seem to remember seeing you then, and I thought you may have been a some of those events.
I don't remember you at any of the Lexington contest I went to, but I did miss quite a few in the 80s

I think the rolling date event you refer to is Nostalgia 30. Rolling date Classic was killed off by a couple of people years ago.

Whatever you call it, I just didn't recall.

No, that airplane was not at a Cincinnati contest in the mid 80's. The last contest I flew at Cincinnati was in 1982, but the (miserable) airplane no longer exists. Last contest I flew in the Midwest at all was in Lexington in 1984, with an airplane I borrowed from Ed Robbert since I was just visiting.

The airplane I was referring to was first flown in 1988 so maybe it is not all that close to the cutoff, but the chances of it being in flying shape in 5 years are pretty good. It's not getting too much use right now. I qualified with it at the 98 NATs, it's the same old ugly thing you saw me fly for a long time.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
Hi Brett,
             are those holes shown in the piston pic for the wrist pin or are they part of the transfer port system?

My bet is on the later.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »
Hi Brett,
             are those holes shown in the piston pic for the wrist pin or are they part of the transfer port system?

My bet is on the later.

Transfer port. They are much larger than the wrist pint, maybe 5/16.

Brett

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 04:04:51 AM »
Hello All,
A very interesting post and even if it has strayed off topic in parts, still food for thought. If you want to fly old planes with period sparkies then there are plenty of 60 sized engines of good power. Lots of exotic stuff that is valuable and may not escape from the glass case! The OK Super 60 is a very cheap and quite powerful engine that is readily available at a low price, quite the other end of the scale!
  However, when you go below 60 size, the number of engines powerful enough to fly stunt is not really that great. The Atwood Triumph on sparks is good, as is the McCoy 49 and 29 again on sparks. I hesitate to mention the Madewell 49 as Brett doesn't rate it, although I have had success if flying them! I wouldn't rate it against the previously mentioned sub 60 engines, although a competent performer in my experience.
  What else is there in the sub 60 category that people have had success with? I have flown Bullet 29s and if you build light then there is the Bantam and the bigger Arden. I then start to really struggle. I have lots of sparkies in the sub 60 size, but few of them develop enough power for old style stunt.
  So has anyone got experience of the smaller spark ignition engines that are OK for stunt. Let us leave out the expensive rareties, mainstream engines that don't cost a fortune?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
I have one of the ball bearing Forster 29 rear intake that I flew in a Dragon on spark for a while. It flew it very well and the only problem I had was choking it. I did change out the long intake tube for one of the short ones from the later front intake engines as they are interchangeable. I believe Don Hutchinson flew a Dragon with a Torpedo 29 sparky, and last I knew was flying one with an Orwick 29.
Jim Kraft

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »
I've accumulated a selection of ignition engines, and I've run most of them on the test stand and a few in planes.  The big plus for the larger engines is that the ignition system (batteries & coil) remain a constant weight, regardless if the engine is a 19 or a 60, and larger planes can typically carry more weight without a penalty.  However I prefer smaller planes most of the time, so I've tried to find small engines that work well.  I've got a couple O&R .23 side ports, and while they start very easily, and run consistently, I don't expect they'd be a really good match on a CL stunter.  I would think a Fireball built and flown for fun would be about their limit.  Jim Kraft runs one on a radio assist, old time free flight plane that's always fun to watch, and it works well most of the time.  I built a Vampire a few years ago for an O&R .33 redhead, the engine ran fine on the bench, and on the plane it started ok and ran alright but it was never consistent and it was very light on power.  The plane flies considerably better on an ignition Mohawk .29, the cheaper generic version of the OK .29.  The actual OK .29 might run better yet, but it's heavier since it has a crank bushing, and the plane is already nose heavy.  I've got a Vivell .35 that starts and runs pretty good on the bench, but I wouldn't build a plane for it, again because it seems very down on power.  In my estimation, I'd say the Vivell puts out about as much raw power as a worn out McCoy redhead .19 on glow.  I'd like to try an ignition Forster .29 or .35, but of the three glow Forsters in my collection, only the .29 really runs very well.  The front rotary ignition Forsters seem to sell high too.

In the bigger 60's, I was really impressed with my OK Super .60 on the bench, for as little as they bring on Ebay I didn't expect easy starts and fair power.  The Anderson Spitfire is the engine I run most, set up as close as I could to Jim Kraft's, and it flies my Humongous with plenty of reserve power.  Aside from a faulty coil or two, and one user error event it's run very well. 

In general, a larger problem than finding a small ignition engine that runs well might be finding a small OTS plane fit for a small ignition engine.  While there are plenty of 60 size stunters from the ignition era, most of the smaller planes are more for sport.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »
There are a number of engines in the under .60 catagory that run well and make decent power. To name a few that are common and not price prohibative, let me start with the Atwood Triumph .49 and .51 pretty user friendly and good power on spark. Vivell all sizes,Madewell, Any of the Delongs, Any of the ignition Torpedos, any of the ignition OKs, the O4R .33 on ignition, Phantom P30, Bullet. amd others that I am sure that I have missed. One of my favorites to fly is a Melcraft .29, it is an oddball piston port engine with the venturie on the front of the crankcaseup where the cylinder part line is and pointing forward. It gets attention.  Most ignition engines will pull atleast another inch diameter of prop more than the same engine running on glow will and some, even more.
I run my ignition engines on 3 to1 gasoline and castor oil.
With the ignition solid state moduals that we have today coupled with half the fuel load, the weigh penalty for ignition is not as much as one might think.

Regards, Phil Bare

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »
Thanks guys!
I had forgotten about the Forsters and the De Longs. No excuses, as I have several of both, just too many engines I suppose! I have tried most of the O&R engines in the sub 60 size. I think they are fairly pathetic in output and wear very radpidly when used for stunt. Fine for free flight though, where the run times are low.
I am glad that someone else thinks the OK Super 60 is a good stunt engine. I have several and none have cost me more than $70. An absolute steal in my opinion. I am told that a well known US modeller gave the Super 60 a really bad name, stating that he had maybe 6 of them and couldn't start a single one! Whoever he was, thanks for saying that, seems to have kept the price down if nothing else.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »
I'm going to put the Vivell 35 back on the test stand and take some readings.  As I recall, it spun a 10-6 wood prop at least 9K on spark ignition. (maybe more).  I'll give a report as soon as I can.

Floyd

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 07:43:56 AM »
Hello Floyd,
Thanks for thinking of the Vivell 35. I was a touch bothered about mentioning it in view of Brett's dimissal of the Madewell 49. As far as I know the engines are very similar. The crank case was modified to make the Madewell 49, with an enlarged cylinder to go with the modded case.
I have several of the Vivell 35s of differing marks and  differing conditions. I must admit I like them, very pleasant on the eye and a good one is quite powerful. I would be interested in what yours can do on a 10x6. I never made any notes when I was running them. I think they have more than enough power for say a 40 inch span stunter.
I would run the best of mine, but we have a sudden cold snap here in the UK and I don't fancy messing about outside, until the weather warms up.

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
The Vivell 'Fourty Niner' is another good running sparker that does not need to be over looked.

Phil

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
Thanks for thinking of the Vivell 35. I was a touch bothered about mentioning it in view of Brett's dimissal of the Madewell 49.

Sorry, that was not my intent. But I still see people trying to use vintage engines in stunt competition all the time, and I wanted to make sure that there was no misunderstanding about how effective they are compared to current engines. "Vintage" includes almost any baffle-piston engines up to the ST46 - these are just not a good solution for current stunt competition. You can use them, and some people would have success, but up against a field of any one of dozens of current engines they will be severely lacking. I know I am queuing up 10 people to say it doesn't matter and <<insert stunt hero of your choice>> could win with anything, but that doesn't change the argument.

This is related to (actually, the flip side of the same coin as)  my argument on Classic- building an airplane from 1969 and then putting an Aero-Tiger in it yields profoundly different performance than you would have had originally. Swell, no doubt the airplane is a lot more pleasant to fly, but any other purist argument about it pretty much goes out the window.

I find this era of engine design interesting but aside from niche applications they are no longer competitive. I just hate to see people continuing to thrash around with Fox/McCoy/Supertigre/etc when you can get an LA46 in two days for under $100. If that's what people want to use, certainly no skin off my nose but if they want to win contests in the year 2013 they are creating a pretty tough challenge for themselves.  

Brett

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
Hello Brett,
I couldn't agree more with you. I can't see anyone using a spark ignition old timer engine in a modern stunt contest. Doesn't make any sense at all, to do such a thing. There are quite a few people that enjoy the challenge of running spark ignition, vintage engines in period control line models and this is the area that I am referring to. I don't know about your VSC in the US, I thought there was a section there where such outlandish things were done! Over her in UK and Europe, most old time enthusiasts fly free flight, with just a small number of heretics running old design control line models on spark. I suspect that this is growing in popularity as I keep hearing of more and more folk tackling vintage sparkers for C/L. Rest assured that your PA and Rojetts will not be disturbed by noisy old sparkies!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
Hello Brett,
I couldn't agree more with you. I can't see anyone using a spark ignition old timer engine in a modern stunt contest. Doesn't make any sense at all, to do such a thing. There are quite a few people that enjoy the challenge of running spark ignition, vintage engines in period control line models and this is the area that I am referring to. I don't know about your VSC in the US, I thought there was a section there where such outlandish things were done! Over her in UK and Europe, most old time enthusiasts fly free flight, with just a small number of heretics running old design control line models on spark. I suspect that this is growing in popularity as I keep hearing of more and more folk tackling vintage sparkers for C/L. Rest assured that your PA and Rojetts will not be disturbed by noisy old sparkies!

You'd be surprised. I still get the occasional question about how to modify a 40VF to "do a good stunt run", meaning, run like a Fox 35. Or talk about how "complicated" pipes or Uniflow tanks are. In this case I am not even limiting it to sparkies, it applies about the same to a ST46.

There are still many people who are trying to learn to be competitive using ancient technology and ideas. Maybe you can learn something trying to make it work, and that is valuable even if difficult. But it's certainly the hard way to go.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:38 PM »
Hi Brett,

Seems like I am always climbing the ladder when it comes to getting my engines to run right since about the time I do, the whole ball game shifts! LOL!!  4-2 to high rpm/low pitch, to pipes, now to electric..........

But I am glad that I did learn what I did.  I can actually help others who may be starting out and using what they can get.

Engine runs are the very least of my problems, I have always listened to those in the real know.  My problems deal with what is attached to the handle, and it's not the model!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
Hi Brett, just curious, how many classes/places did an LA.46 win at the 2012 nats?

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
Hey Big Bear, mebbe ya got a lose nut on the handle?    LL~

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »
Hey Big Bear, mebbe ya got a lose nut on the handle?    LL~

A loose screw, a loose nut, which ever causes the worst effect on the model flying! LOL!!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »
LOL, Hey , I hope that you and yours are all doing well, Bill.
I need to get down your way and visit. Business keeps me busy and old age keeps me procrastinating. Maybe I can make the spring doins at Charolett this year.
Regards, Phil Bare

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 06:59:43 PM »
  I am never disappointed, as predictable as a sunrise...

Hi Brett, just curious, how many classes/places did an LA.46 win at the 2012 nats?

In real stunt, 0. Just like the ST46. And Fox 35. And McCoy 35. And Madewell 49. And for that matter, just like a RO-Jett 61. Does that make them all equally desirable for stunt?

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:19 PM »

In real stunt, 0. Just like the ST46. And Fox 35. And McCoy 35. And Madewell 49. And for that matter, just like a RO-Jett 61. Does that make them all equally desirable for stunt?

Brett

Brett serving from the members end, score now stands at 15 - love.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »

Brett

Thanks Brett, I just wondered............  BTW, would you ever part with the P30 , or is the sentimental value too great?

Regards, Phil Bare

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
Thanks Brett, I just wondered............  BTW, would you ever part with the P30 , or is the sentimental value too great?

Regards, Phil Bare

No, I don't think I so. In any case, it is far from complete and even if I had a piston it would take some scrounging to get the rest of the parts. As mentioned, the timer case was knocked off with a hammer back in about 1948!

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »
As promised, here is the Vivell 35 running.  It tachs 9470 with a Rev Up 11-4 wood.  It does 9150 on a B-Y&O 10-6.

Fuel is Coleman lantern fuel with 25% Castrol SAE70 m/c oil

In terms of "propwash", it seems to have lots more thrust with the 11" prop

That's not bad performance for a '40s engine.  It probably would do a bit better on glo, but I didn't try glo.

Floyd

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
Floyd, how do you adjust the ignition timing on that without whacking your finger off?
AMA 64232

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »
I start it with the spark timer fully advanced.  It doesn't kick back.  F.C.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 01:17:54 PM »
As promised, here is the Vivell 35 running.  It tachs 9470 with a Rev Up 11-4 wood.  It does 9150 on a B-Y&O 10-6.

Fuel is Coleman lantern fuel with 25% Castrol SAE70 m/c oil

In terms of "propwash", it seems to have lots more thrust with the 11" prop

At 9500ish RPM one might think the power was well past peak. Hence it will go up if you slow it down, hence a larger prop would be expected to work better.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here