Engine basics > Engine set up tips

PA 40/PA 40UL question

(1/2) > >>

Jim Oliver:
Hi Guys,

Will someone please explain how the rear exhaust PA 40 and the rear exhaust PA 40 Ultra Light engines are different?  Weight, configuration, exhaust requirements, etc.

Thanks,
Jim

Busby:
The 40UL is about 2 oz lighter and 1/4 inch shorter and doesn't develop quite the hp that the big block does.
In the rear exhaust configuration the exhaust requirements are the same either piped or muffled .
BTW the big block is absolutely the strongest 40 that you will ever fly and the UL is no slouch either.
The PAs are without a doubt the most user friendly motors that you are likely to use ,flip and fly.
If it sounds as if I am a big fan of Randy's motors its because they work .

Jim Oliver:
Thanks Marshall--asked you the same questions in a PM before I saw this post.

Jim

Randy Powell:
I've had both and agree. The PA 40 is slightly more powerful though it's tough to tell in the range both engines operate at. When you have more than enough, is additional power noticed? Both are very strong engines. I've been running a PA 40UL in a classic plane in 4-2-4 mode with muffler. Very, very nice engine when ran that way. I've haven't tried it yet in a pipe configuration, but I can tell you I'd buy another one in a minute. Absolutely steady and predictable with plenty of power.

RandySmith:

--- Quote from: Jim Oliver on October 06, 2006, 07:32:19 AM ---Hi Guys,

Will someone please explain how the rear exhaust PA 40 and the rear exhaust PA 40 Ultra Light engines are different?  Weight, configuration, exhaust requirements, etc.

Thanks,
Jim

--- End quote ---

Hello Jim

The New Merlin series Ultralite 40, is more the case width of a FOX 35 or  Magnum 36, however it has 4 exact mount holes that are the same as a Super Tiger 35,40,46.
It is longer however than the ST so No prop shaft extensions would be necessary, and the twin ball bearing can do a better job of support.

The Larger case PA 40 is  10.5 ounces, the Merlin PA 40 UL  is  just about 8 ounces. It can and will produce more power than an OS 40 VF, and can easily fly a plane as  large as an IMPACT, or  as  small as an ARES. You MUST however use the correct size venturie and head shims in order to do this. The motor is very tailorable up or down to what the needs  are. The motor has flown a very large range of planes all over the world. Example It flew A SKY WRITER, ( normally a 60 size ship) at the 2004 WCs, and  you will see  many of them in Noblers, Chipmonks, and  ARES,....not to mention a few  COBRAs  :-)

Regards
Randy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version