Engine basics > Engine set up tips

OS35S Max III

(1/3) > >>

ash:
I've just picked up another nice OS35S, now I have two earmarked for a Classic stunt model of some kind.

One is in fairly good condition but needs a clean, the other is possibly on the downhill slope of life. The three designs I have in mind are the Novi 3, and Stunt Machine (both of which originally flew with this engine, I believe) and the Hooptee, which ran an OS29.

In the modern context of "there's no such thing as too much power" how much of a ship can an average example of these engines gracefully drag around with ease?

RandySmith:
The OS 35S  is generally most haapy with a 480 to 550 sq. in. size airplne.
However people have flown larger and smaller ones with that setup.
This will depend on weight and how easy the plane pulls.

Randy

ash:
Thanks Randy. Looks like my Classic dreams are in/over the upper end of that range. I do like the idea of authentic engine/model pairings, so I might have to build light and tip the nitro can a little longer if I want to keep it useable!  ;D

I guess first thing to do is clean up and run the engines to determine which one is best able to do the job.

Marvin Denny:
  My Novi III flew quite well with a Fox Stunt 35 on it.  Well enough to take a fifth in advanced one year at the Nats.  It is around 600 square inch wing area and mine was a bit po the obese side..   The designer, Dave Gierke, had an OS 35 in his.

Bigiron

RandySmith:
Hi Adrian

I would go for whatever plane you want for the 35S, I am sure you'll be  happy with the run.

Hi Marvin, yes I agree as I said in my post others have ran a litle larger plane, and the Novi lll  is  a very good plane, it also is not a hard plane to pull.
I have seen people flying Stilettos , Chipmunks, The Larger T-Birds  and others with the  35s.

Those were among the best engines of the late 60s ,early 70s

Regards
Randy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version