News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS Max 30-s Owners Manual  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
OS Max 30-s Owners Manual
« on: October 11, 2022, 12:22:54 PM »
I acquired an OS Max 30s engine set up for CL and NIB. Thinking of maybe trying it out on a SIG Banshee. The engine has never been run and in great condition. Might anyone have an OS owner's manual for this particular engine? I am aware of the engine basics and have read a bit about it. And that things like >25% all castor fuel is best. But I like to read up on more about the engine. Pics of pages of the manual would be fine. 

Also, the engine came w/ a glow plug (looks to be OS stock), but there are no markings on it. Might anyone know what is the best OS plug to use so I have a proper spare? A3, A8, other?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 02:00:30 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS Max 30-s Owners Manual
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 04:14:59 PM »
   I don't have any paper work from one, but I imagine it would be very similar to the .35S  As to the plug, a hot, long reach plug as you would on the .35S. Start of with 10-5 props and experiment from there. You might look into the ScepterFlite web site and see what they have on it.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 04:50:50 PM »
   I don't have any paper work from one, but I imagine it would be very similar to the .35S  As to the plug, a hot, long reach plug as you would on the .35S. Start of with 10-5 props and experiment from there. You might look into the ScepterFlite web site and see what they have on it.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Thx Dan. I did read the review on ScepterFlite

I have OS A3 & A8 plugs which I believe are hot. But are they considered long-reach?

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 09:28:43 PM »
Sorry about the dirt . wash your hands afterward  . ;D

Id use a 9 x 6 prop , initially . Run Good , Dont stick your fingers in it , or let anyone stick the aeroplane in your fingers .

You can get a good slow ' Gieske ' type run , once theyve a few hours on . DONT LABOUR IT initially . Look up the Adamisin 35 S stuff .
Same Motor . Rods can go   S P A N G   . X groove rear , Nylon ' T ' pad in crankpin - so rod dont walk aft .

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 10:41:21 PM »
Thx Dan. I did read the review on ScepterFlite

I have OS A3 & A8 plugs which I believe are hot. But are they considered long-reach?

I have to say that I am not 100% sure on the OS plugs. The A3 is one that is between short and long, but I'm not sure about the A8. OS changed there numbering system a few times in the last 20 years. I never used them to any extent so never got really familiar with them. A short reach is about 2 thread pitches shorter than a long reach and a lot of OS plugs are somewhere in between, and I don't know what their theory is on this. To me, for the plug to work properly, it needs to have the end flush with the combustion chamber so fuel gets into the hole that the element is in.+5 I use primarily Glow Devil R/C Long w/idle bar plugs, or Thunderbolt R/C Long with idle bar. I don't think any of the OS plugs have an idle bar, so if you can find examples of any long plug with or without idle bar, you can measure up against that. Short plugs are generally used in smaller displacement engines like .09s, .10s and some .15s. If you have any of those size engines or know someone who does, borrow one and measure it against the OS plugs you have. That way you should have a good idea of what long and short reach is. The idle bar I mentioned has nothing to do with being a long reach plug. There are short reach plugs with idle bar also.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 09:07:46 AM »

Id use a 9 x 6 prop , initially . Run Good , Dont stick your fingers in it , or let anyone stick the aeroplane in your fingers .

You can get a good slow ' Gieske ' type run , once theyve a few hours on . DONT LABOUR IT initially . Look up the Adamisin 35 S stuff .
Same Motor . Rods can go   S P A N G   . X groove rear , Nylon ' T ' pad in crankpin - so rod dont walk aft .

Thx very much. I really appreciate it.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 09:18:07 AM »

I have to say that I am not 100% sure on the OS plugs. The A3 is one that is between short and long, but I'm not sure about the A8. OS changed there numbering system a few times in the last 20 years. I never used them to any extent so never got really familiar with them. A short reach is about 2 thread pitches shorter than a long reach and a lot of OS plugs are somewhere in between, and I don't know what their theory is on this. To me, for the plug to work properly, it needs to have the end flush with the combustion chamber so fuel gets into the hole that the element is in.+5 I use primarily Glow Devil R/C Long w/idle bar plugs, or Thunderbolt R/C Long with idle bar. I don't think any of the OS plugs have an idle bar, so if you can find examples of any long plug with or without idle bar, you can measure up against that. Short plugs are generally used in smaller displacement engines like .09s, .10s and some .15s. If you have any of those size engines or know someone who does, borrow one and measure it against the OS plugs you have. That way you should have a good idea of what long and short reach is. The idle bar I mentioned has nothing to do with being a long reach plug. There are short reach plugs with idle bar also.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Thx Dan

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 09:37:33 AM »

Thanks for posting this.  I don't have a OS Max- S .30, but I do have three OS Max-S .35s, one of which I bought off Ebay with the claim that it was "new."  I haven't run it yet, so this sheet is really helpful in breaking in this "new." engine.

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 09:39:02 AM »
I started initial break-in on my OS 30s CL engine on my test stand. Followed the OS suggestions in the manual. I bought the engine NIB from a guy, so I believe it is stock.

Some observations:

Initial break-in
9-5 prop
5 nitro/29 all castor fuel
Ran 4-cycle rich, 6 two-minute runs allowing to cool between runs
No muffler during break-in period

Not knowing a good needle setting I initially tried 3 turns. Engine would only run briefly off of the initial prime, then quit. So not enough fuel. It took 5.5 turns on the needle to get it to run at a healthy 4 cycle. Around 9,000 rpm

I will run a few more times the same way, then proceed w/ more runs, but start to lean out on progressive runs.

Engine ran consistent on all runs. A little hard to start initially but started easier on each run.

After break-in, I plan to try the engine out on a SIG Banshee. I currently have an OS 40FP on my Banshee. Flies OK, but the 40 is really too much engine (and heavier). If the 30s flies better, will use it. If not, go back to the 40.

One other thing. The engine came w/ what looks to be a long reach plug which I used. Seemed to be fine. The plug has no markings on it, so don't know if it is an OS plug. The owner's manual mentions an OS 7 plug. I have no idea if the OS 7 is a long reach plug. The OS 7 is a medium-hot heat range design per OS.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 10:06:16 AM by Colin McRae »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 08:47:35 PM »
They used to say the 8 was the expensive longer lasting 3 .

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 08:50:19 AM »
They used to say the 8 was the expensive longer lasting 3 .

Thx Air!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 09:32:00 AM »
   On that chart, notice that there are two plugs of each number, a surface vehicle and aircraft plugs. Study the photo closely, and the only difference I see is the shape of the top post. We used to have that poster on the counter at the hobby shop I worked at, but there was never any need for us to carry the whole line, so I never saw them all in person. If you happen to find some A-3 in the surface vehicle style, I don't know why they would not work in an airplane engine.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 01:47:09 PM »
Two things. 1) The OS .30 "stunt" can be converted to a .35 with one of Brian Gardner's ABC kits. It comes with a rod, which is the weak part of the stock engines.

B) As for glowplugs, I'd stick with a good American brand...that is a real "long" reach and avoid imported (and expensive!) ones that are metric/medium length. Maybe you can get good results with them, but it's an expensive experiment these days.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 05:42:06 PM »
Thx Steve

I was doing more break-in runs on my OS 30s in my test stand. The owner's manual calls for an OS A7 plug which I don't have. The A7 is a medium-hot plug. I have no idea if the A7 is a long reach plug. I tried an OS A3 hot plug (which is not long reach) and it did not perform very well. Again, the fuel was 5% nitro/29% all castor. Then I tried a Fireball standard (medium-hot) long reach plug, and the engine ran very well with it. So, I believe it has a lot to do w/ the need for a long reach plug for this engine as you say. The Fireball worked great, so I will just use that.

I also use the same Fireball plug in my Fox & McCoy 35's (same fuel) and they all run great. For the price (around $4), the Fireball is a good plug.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 05:52:34 PM »
Thx Steve

I was doing more break-in runs on my OS 30s in my test stand. The owner's manual calls for an OS A7 plug which I don't have. The A7 is a medium-hot plug. I have no idea if the A7 is a long reach plug. I tried an OS A3 hot plug (which is not long reach) and it did not perform very well. Again, the fuel was 5% nitro/29% all castor. Then I tried a Fireball standard (medium-hot) long reach plug, and the engine ran very well with it. So, I believe it has a lot to do w/ the need for a long reach plug for this engine as you say. The Fireball worked great, so I will just use that.

I also use the same Fireball plug in my Fox & McCoy 35's (same fuel) and they all run great. For the price (around $4), the Fireball is a good plug.

As I have mentioned, OS has changed their numbering system a couple of times and most certainly isn't the same as in the time period of when the .30 was new. To check how the A-s and A-8s fit, install the plug and remove the head and see how the end of the plug matches the combustion chamber. If there is any kind of step or threads in the head visible,  I would not use that plug. It might give you some kind of run but the big risk is a flame out at the wrong time. I have not tried the Fireball, but if they work well for the way you fly, then I can't knock it, especially with the way thigs are in the world today with glow plugs. Just do your best to avoid any lean runs and I think you will be fine.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 07:10:02 PM »
You dunno how lucky youve got it . PLUGS are around $ 10 to 15 here . or were .

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 08:46:23 PM »
You dunno how lucky youve got it . PLUGS are around $ 10 to 15 here . or were .

As far as I know, none of the regular plug makers are shipping anything now at any price!! Sonic-Tronics has some odd ball stock on hand and prices are in the $12 range the last time I checked. I don't know how well Fireball is fixed for element material but it will be interesting to see how long they can hold the cheaper prices, and they do not have the best of reputations for durability. Time will tell.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 03:55:59 PM »
I have been using the Fireball standard (medium-hot) long-reach plug on my Fox and McCoy 35's. Also, on my OS 30s. Whatever engines needs a long-reach plug. Have not tried the Fireball hot plug as I have not needed it so far. Plugs seem to be fine. Have been getting them from Brodak. Quite a few flights on the McCoy's over the past 2 years and still have the original plug on the models. I do not know how long they will last, but at $4ea I could go through 3-4 plugs for the price of one OS plug. They seem fine to me.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 05:54:33 PM »
I did finally get a chance to fly my SIG Banshee yesterday w/ the OS 30s engine. A 10-5 prop seemed to work well and I used 5% nitro-29% all castor fuel since the engine is basically broken in, but still quite new. And used a Fireball Standard long-reach plug. Will probably now switch to 25% oil going forward.

Model flew quite well, and the engine ran great. The OS 40FP I had on the model was really too much engine.

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 06:00:41 PM »
   On that chart, notice that there are two plugs of each number, a surface vehicle and aircraft plugs. Study the photo closely, and the only difference I see is the shape of the top post. We used to have that poster on the counter at the hobby shop I worked at, but there was never any need for us to carry the whole line, so I never saw them all in person. If you happen to find some A-3 in the surface vehicle style, I don't know why they would not work in an airplane engine.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I was just studying the OS glowplug chart and noticed that both the "Ground" and "Air"  A-3 plugs have the exact same part number. Leads me to think that they'd both work. Nobody would use the same P/N if they're different, would they?

As an aside, Boeing sometimes used the exact same part for both the left and right sides...but used different P/N's, so as not to confuse somebody. Not real sure who that would have been. Doesn't make sense to me.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here