News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:10:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS LA .46, What makes this a great Stunt engine?  (Read 2950 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OS LA .46, What makes this a great Stunt engine?
« on: October 08, 2022, 12:48:41 PM »
     Hello All:

My flying mate insisted that I power my “New” Nobler ARF  with an OS LA .46 engine in lieu of the HP .40 that I had planned to use. I think very highly of the HP engines for Stunt use.  I respected his wisdom and
and went with the OS.

Upon arriving at the field, we fueled the tank, opened the needle valve three turns, choked the engine a couple of turns, connected the battery and back flipped the engine once the engine sprung into life.  Pete my friend, closed  the needle valve until the tach read 9,700 rpm. on a wooden 11-5 prop. The engine ran a four cycle in level flight and a two cycle in maneuvers.  A perfect engine run!  The plane flew perfectly also.

My question is this.  What makes this engine run so well right out of the box.  It is not a custom engine or has it been worked on by an “expert.” Do all of these engines run this well or did I just get lucky?

Opinions/Suggestions?

Frank McCune

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: OS LA .46, What makes this a great Stunt engine?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 02:28:42 PM »
     My question is this.  What makes this engine run so well right out of the box.  It is not a custom engine or has it been worked on by an “expert.” Do all of these engines run this well or did I just get lucky?

Opinions/Suggestions?

Frank McCune

Opinion - this is exactly what I and several others have been trying to get across in almost every engine-based post you have made for the last 3-4 years. Now you begin to see a small indication of what we were trying to tell you. Note that the 46LA is also not really a competitive engine, either, but it's at least dead-nuts reliable and decently powerful by sport-flying standards.

Key takeaway:

It is not a custom engine or has it been worked on by an “expert.”

And, to add - you are going to *leave it alone from here out*, right?  Don't take it apart to see what is in it, don't "modify" it, don't "adjust" it other than a few needle clicks. Don't send it to an "expert", don't let the locals tell you all the tricks you need to "improve it". Put in gas, put on battery, flip prop, fly.

That the 46LA is a pretty decent stunt engine seems mostly to be a coincidence, it is a low-ball RC sport engine, very inexpensively made and of relatively low performance by engine standards, that happens to give about the right power for running 4" or so pitch props at stunt settings. There are *many* much better engines than that - it's older brothers, the 40 and 46VF, are still "gold standard" and *much better engines* than a 46LA. They are not much better for an ARF Nobler, the 46LA is great overkill, but it is mild enough to make it work - *if left alone*.

If you are comparing it to an HP, it will indeed seem like a miracle, because even when there were few other options, and before piped engines, the HP was very rarely used and the ST46 - also now greatly exceeded - was a lot better and infinitely easier to deal with. Neither HP40 was every much good for stunt, and while they have had a few good moments in absolute expert hands, as a general purpose stunt/sport motor, they are terrible. As you have proven.

I am very glad someone took this issue in hand and showed you part of what you have been missing - basically demonstrating what I and a bunch of others have been trying to tell you now for years.

Brett
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:23:37 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 02:38:21 PM »
You got lucky in that you have experienced the joy of flying with an engine that is good right out of the box.  It needs no improvement.

For sport fliers who want a trouble free engine, the LA 46 can't be beat.  You said you used a wood 11 X 5 prop.  Which brand?  If a stock Zinger, replace it with something like the B Y & O 11 X 5, or the Thunder Tiger 11 X 4.5.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 03:30:56 PM »
     Hello All:

My flying mate insisted that I power my “New” Nobler ARF  with an OS LA .46 engine in lieu of the HP .40 that I had planned to use. I think very highly of the HP engines for Stunt use.  I respected his wisdom and
and went with the OS.

Upon arriving at the field, we fueled the tank, opened the needle valve three turns, choked the engine a couple of turns, connected the battery and back flipped the engine once the engine sprung into life.  Pete my friend, closed  the needle valve until the tach read 9,700 rpm. on a wooden 11-5 prop. The engine ran a four cycle in level flight and a two cycle in maneuvers.  A perfect engine run!  The plane flew perfectly also.

Opinions/Suggestions?

Frank McCune

And if you promise not to tell anyone, I'll let you in on a little secret. If you set up an LA.40 the same way, it will run just as good but with a bit less overall power and use less fuel. It really is over kill for the ARF Nobler. I have an old OS.35S in an ARF Nobler and it's just about a perfect fit. The problem with the ARF Nobler is getting a tank squared away. There is hardly any wood in the nose of the airplane and no traditional floor for the tank area. I put in 3/8" balsa planks with the grain cross ways between the tapered beams to make the mounts stiffer and provide a floor for the tank. The fuselage is so narrow that you can't get any 2" wide standard tank in it, so I made a custom tank to just fit the fuselage and can get 4 1/4 ounces fuel max in it. With the stock LA.46s I run, I don't know how you got a tank in it big enough to do the pattern? Most of main take more than 4 ounces, 4.5 more or less, to do the pattern depending on model and other variables.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 08:07:55 PM »
LA 46 is quite easy to start.  I've gone entire seasons and gotten first flip starts every single time, hot and cold.  Unless there is someone waiting, my flights are back to back, about eight or ten per session.

The engine is light, important for stunt.  Very popular in my area.  Not all used LA 46s have good compression, however.  Wild guess, but after about ten gallons, can get a little harder to start.  Easy to detect - rotate manually using prop hub.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 04:23:26 PM »
    And if you promise not to tell anyone, I'll let you in on a little secret. If you set up an LA.40 the same way, it will run just as good but with a bit less overall power and use less fuel. It really is over kill for the ARF Nobler.

"Set Up" - "do absolutely nothing", I hope. And *it's working now*, why are we trying to fix it?

I have an old OS.35S in an ARF Nobler and it's just about a perfect fit.

He just got his first-ever decent engine run with something else, my God, don't get him off-track again!

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 04:53:09 AM »
  "Set Up" - "do absolutely nothing", I hope. And *it's working now*, why are we trying to fix it?

He just got his first-ever decent engine run with something else, my God, don't get him off-track again!

Brett

Saw a Ringmaster with a Fox 35 flying on the weekend nothing could be better then that!
Sort of reminds me of getting a Fox 19 on a Wolverene as a youngster and thinking it couldn't get any better, having only had Cox Babe Bees models before that.
PS: Wolverene =
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10969

Regards Gerald

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 09:12:23 AM »

Brett

"Set Up" = Same plug, prop, fuel, tank.

OS.35S is essentially just as trouble free, in my experience. Use same hot plug, selection of 10-5/6 props to test, even the same fuel if the engine has some time on it and doesn't need break in. I ran OS.35S engines a lot in my early stunt days. Never had any issue and never broke one, except on a crash at the bottom of an outside loop of some kind. Airplane hit at about 30 degrees when something locked up the controls. I thought the engine had survived, but the angled impact distorted the case and the crank was no longer perpendicular to the cylinder. Not one crack or chip in the crank case, but it ruined the entire engine. I was able t o salvage the head, back plate and venturi parts. Crankshaft was actually OK. I used the parts on another engine I got in some dealings that was pretty toasted, and brought it back to life.  The OS.35S has the reputation for having soft rods, but I have never had any troubles.  For a Nobler, I think it's a better choice and just as trouble free as over powering it with a LA.46 would be. Save the .46 for a more appropriate airplane that could use the extra power. In a Nobler ARF or other typical .35 sized model, you are only using about half the potential of the .46, in my experience and opinion. The LA.40 is a better fit, I think.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 07:11:56 PM »
This topic of 'leave it alone' always reminds me of the 'Sport Flying' articles that were in Stunt News years ago. The Authors name was Fred and he said numerous times that he ran his ST51 stock, including the muffler and was very happy with it. I find it kind of funny how many people including myself skipped over that info and had the engine modified. Sort of like the guy that showed up with a non shiny airplane and got put in the back row.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 08:31:34 AM »
A question for Brett:

How are the LA 40 and the 46VF the "gold standard", better than the LA 40?

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 04:48:44 PM »
I meant to say: "better than the LA 46".

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 05:45:47 PM »
I meant to say: "better than the LA 46".

You misread it, the 40VF and 46VF are much better than an 46LA, which is in turn better than a 40LA. This should be no surprise, the 40VF is one of the most successful stunt engines in history and dead-easy to set up and fly, the 46VF is a lot more powerful but not quite as plug-and-play, but still has an impressive record.

Brett

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 06:14:18 PM »
Okay. Thanks for that clarification for me. I have never seen a vf series engine.  But thanks again.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 06:47:29 PM »
Are the VF's all rear exhaust?

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 07:37:22 PM »
Are the VF's all rear exhaust?

Yes, it was the first really good piped engine, arguably still the easiest to deal with as far as setup. I have taken my old 40VF airplane off the wall after >10 years, gummed up to the point it would barely turn over, loosened it up, started it, it runs exactly as it did the last time, no changes to the needle, etc. All of my airplanes are designed around the VF, and I can switch to it in about 15 minutes id necessary. I normally run my version of the RO-Jett 61, the reason I like it is that is runs like a gigantic 46VF.

Brett

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 07:58:14 PM »
Thanks Brent.  That was informative and helpful.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 12:15:16 AM »
Thanks Brent.  That was informative and helpful.  Happy Thanksgiving!

You are welcome! I also note that just like now (and my repeated rants about *leaving it alone*), at the time, most people took absolutely no note of it, and paid no attention to how and more importantly, why it works so well, despite Paul laying out an entirely bulletproof detailed explanation of how to set it up and run it that could be replicated by anyone.

1993 NATS, David Fitzgerald and I were over flying all day long and a parade of people came by marvelling over how well our engines run, we just put fuel in and flew *a few dozen* flights on Monday alone. We would listen to them, they had problems with overruns, underruns, quitting outright. We would tell them what to change (basically, put it back the way it started), nope, they knew better than us, and then better than Paul, who of course won handily for the 4th time in a row while they DNQed or withdrew.

Brett

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 06:45:36 AM »
There are few of them out there.  I checked.  Quite expensive and I usually fly profiles so I'm not sure I would venture out to buy one since they seem to be made for use with a tuned pipe.  I don't know if they run well with just a muffler.  I think I'll stick with these LA's.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 11:19:35 AM »
There are few of them out there.  I checked.  Quite expensive and I usually fly profiles so I'm not sure I would venture out to buy one since they seem to be made for use with a tuned pipe.  I don't know if they run well with just a muffler.  I think I'll stick with these LA's.

Probably a better choice. There are tons of 40VFs around, rusting in boxes and drawers. Headers are an issue. While it will run on a muffler, you get none of the advantages, and it has very little history running like that.

I pointed it out to note that Frank was quite rightly excited about finally getting a decent engine run, and was blown away by how well it works. While, given what we know about his recent history with engines, I am sure this is a massive improvement, it's just the tip of a very large iceberg.  The 46LA is a much better engine than anything we had before about the mid-80's, that is bordering on 40 years ago. But there are a few engines that are just as big an improvement.

What bothers me endlessly about this topic is that nearly *no one* is taking advantage of even the performance of 46LAs, and seems to not grasp that you can't just grab anything from the 50/60's and do just as well. It's like those 40ish years never happened - we have people still talking about 60's baffle piston engines in same context.

BVrett
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 07:35:58 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »
I want to say that after I tried the LA 46 and the LA 25, that's about all I want to run, unless I go to a larger plane needing a larger engine.  I have been following these instructions for the use of stock 46's and 25's and having such a more enjoyable time.  Such easy starts.  Most of my 46's have 6mm venturi with the smaller NVA.

One question - can the piped VF's be used on profiles?

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 05:44:32 PM »
I want to say that after I tried the LA 46 and the LA 25, that's about all I want to run, unless I go to a larger plane needing a larger engine.  I have been following these instructions for the use of stock 46's and 25's and having such a more enjoyable time.  Such easy starts.  Most of my 46's have 6mm venturi with the smaller NVA.

One question - can the piped VF's be used on profiles?

Sure - lots of Imitations were made with 40VFs. The airplane has to be big enough to warrant such a powerful engine, and it's pretty heavy, requires a header that is now hard to find, pipes, the proper propellors, etc. but if you want to learn about them it's a way to go.

Twister/Banshee, etc - forget it, way too much power, you can fly those with Veco 19s or 20FPs with much better performance than a Fox or similar.

Brett

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2022, 07:26:06 PM »
Allen,
If you want to try a pipe set up, both the LA .40 & .46 work well on smaller profiles.  No where near the power of a VF or as heavy, but they do work pretty well on smaller profile ships.

Just my opinion, both the 40 & 46 are good sport engines.  If you compared either of them to a VF, PA, or Jet engine you would be so surprised of the difference in power and use them as fishing sinkers, or something worse. 

Later,
Mikey

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2022, 10:32:42 PM »
Back in the '80s someone asked me who worked on my os35s, they seemed to be amazed when i told them it was bone stock.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here