News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Os LA 46 Run Away  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Os LA 46 Run Away
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:01:39 PM by Motorman »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Os LA 46 Run Away
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:11:23 PM »
OS 46s Dont Runaway ! .

;D S?P

Sounds like maybe a Air Leak , ( Intake or Backplate ) or maybe a pinhole in the fuel tube .

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:20:42 AM »
Read through all the list your set up posts and mine is similar to most. It's a eBay rescue but almost new not broken in all the way. I start off flying rich and keep leaning out the needle valve tiny amounts each flight. It flys too slow until finally it gets lean enough then flys too fast. There's no place you can put the needle to make it work right for the whole flight. Are they all like this until they loosen up or should I intervene and lower the compression ratio?

Blue OS LA 46 stock
one head gasket
.271 venturi
supertiger nva
TT 11x4.5 prop
10% nitro 50/50 oil
Full muffler from a Webra 40
4oz Uniflow tank
Twister

Thanks,
Motorman 8)

They do not need  de-compressing, try 5%  nitro if it has too much power, If the engine  keeps  leaning as it goes through the  pattern, Then you may have another  problem, It should hold a needle setting, and the  LA 46 needs  just a little breakin
You should be able to launch that setup you have just into a 2 cycle, it should  go richer when launched and  should cackle in a  in between  4/2 in level flight, If its  goes lean and  stays there  check for leaks, bad tank, leaking filter, pin hole in the line,  and  Do NOT run pressure

Randy

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
  I agree it has to be a leak or something else fuel related. On the couple I am operating, I have never had anything close to a runaway. If I hit the needle setting too lean, it holds that setting through the flight until the tank runs out. And it does not take too many runs to break one in. It has got to be the most stunt friendly engine I have ever operated, but all the other parts of the system have to be correct.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »
  I agree it has to be a leak or something else fuel related. On the couple I am operating, I have never had anything close to a runaway. If I hit the needle setting too lean, it holds that setting through the flight until the tank runs out. And it does not take too many runs to break one in. It has got to be the most stunt friendly engine I have ever operated, but all the other parts of the system have to be correct.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Ditto's to what Dan wrote.  The only difference between yours and mine is that I run muffler pressure (sorry Randy) w/o uniflow and I use an 11-5 but the ship is 600 squares and 52oz which is much larger than a Twister.  Where I set mine on the ground is where it stays in the air except for about a lap on takeoff where it richens just a bit then recovers as it adjusts to the centrifugal force on the fuel.  I fly it on a very fast 4 and it does not 4-2 or go lean except at the very end of the tank when it quits.  I have gone as many as 20 flights without ever touching the needle.  Unless there is a gasket or venturi leak, your problem is, it is not the engine.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
Could also be a leaky backplate.
MAAC 8177

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 05:26:55 PM »
The only obvious difference between the setup I run and the setup you report is that I use an OS E3030 muffler, or a Tower 40 muffler, depending on whether the plane is nose heavy (the Tower 40 muffler is much lighter than the OS one).

I don't know if that muffler makes a difference, but after you check absolutely everything for leaks, you may want to slap a 3030 on there and try it out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 08:54:40 PM »
Well I got it fixed. I trimmed the plane to fly square but it seems to like being nose out for some reason. So I made a foot to jack the back of the tank out 1/4" and re-soldered the mount brackets for the new angle. I guess it changed the way air comes out the vent tube inside.

I also put the head on the lathe and used my Timmy Gillot form tool to open up the dome just a little and I broke the edge between the dome and the squish band. More of a re-shaping but it did lower the compression a little.

Same needle setting and prop, it flew 5.25 sec. laps and the engine quit clean. It's still running a lean 4 stroke with no real break so I might try a smaller venturi and leaner setting but for now I'm a happy camper.

Motorman 8)

If you had a model flying nose out, then the front of the tank is out farther than the rear, and fuel will run to the front of the tank away from the pick up. Then you will get an intermittent interruption in fuel flow. If you had to shim out 1/4", that was your issue. Moving your lead outs  forward might have been all that you needed to do. A model should not fly nose out like that, and may be some of your other trim issues as well.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 10:21:42 PM »
Same needle setting and prop, it flew 5.25 sec. laps and the engine quit clean. It's still running a lean 4 stroke with no real break so I might try a smaller venturi and leaner setting but for now I'm a happy camper.

I run my 64 ounce, 700 squares Atlantis on an APC 11.5x4 prop in a wet four; it loves it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
I use a 12x4 APC on the LA46 on all of my planes of the 40-55 oz. range. That's a little bigger prop than most people use, but I've had great results. The plane I'm currently flying with an LA is 40 oz. and 525 squares. It takes 4-1/4 ounces of P.Master 10-22 or Sig 10-20 fuel(a seamless transition). I think it's a 3030 muffler. I almost never have to touch the needle. It only needs 2 choke turns and a few flips before lighting and cranking with a back-bump. You have to pay close attention to tell when it's approaching shutoff. It's a truly remarkable engine. I hope to fly it in the Triple Tree contest next Saturday.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 05:12:11 PM »
Run my .46LA on my Twister with a RSM GRW Snubnose 4.75oz Uniflow.

Center of tank is one cooling fin above the Glowplug.

TT 11x4.5 prop

Randy's PA NVA

Plane is 40oz

Runs flawless.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »
... That's a little bigger prop than most people use, but I've had great results...

The 46LA seems to want a bigger prop on smaller planes, and visa-versa.  Dunno why, but I think it's because it can turn faster and develop more power with a smaller prop.
AMA 64232

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 08:58:54 PM »
The 46LA seems to want a bigger prop on smaller planes, and visa-versa.  Dunno why, but I think it's because it can turn faster and develop more power with a smaller prop.

The  Cyclone  11 x 4.5  work  very well on large and small planes  using the  LA 46, it is amazing how well

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here