News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS LA 46 on petrol/gas with OS GG/G5 plug  (Read 1649 times)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
OS LA 46 on petrol/gas with OS GG/G5 plug
« on: October 30, 2022, 05:14:10 AM »
Hello
My 13year old son Max was working on a school science project and comparing different fuels for rpm and run time. He ran an old Fuji 25S on Ethanol/20oil , petrol and 25%oil, then 'running in fuel' 75/25 oil and then our standard 10 nitro fuel. The petrol did not cause overheating and performed better then the Ethanol and running in mixes with only a small power drop but ran 3 times longer duration then the 10% glow fuel. He ran the tests 3 times on each fuel and averaged the results.
This prompted me to put the G5 plug into a LA46 with 11x5 prop and compare it to the standard 10% fuel where it got 9900rpm on petrol vs 11500 on glow but the run was much smoother and motor ran cooler at its lower power setting and it used only a faction of the fuel (needle 5 turns open on glow and 3 on petrol) .

Is it worth flight testing or is this just a cheap(er) fuel trick for RC flyers?

Will the fuel draw be too low as it operates much leaner?

Regards Gerald

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS LA 46 on petrol/gas with OS GG/G5 plug
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 07:35:28 AM »
Gerald,
For the test you son ran did you use a petrol designed glow plug or regular plug? What oil did he use that would blend with the other fuels? Could try one other blend of petrol/kero/oil (maybe add a bit of the 10% for starting). One thing that would be interesting is to do a blend of the petrol and the 10% to see where you can get a bit more power but still save some cost. One thing to remember as you start using less fuel you are also getting less oil in the engine and may need to increase the oil % to prevent excess wear. 

Best,   DennisT

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 05:21:38 PM »
Id look up some of the old 1950s Grand prix racing fuel , Id guess petrol & methanol would mix / .

Maserati 250F

Fuel   50% methanol, 35% petrol, 10% acetone, 4% benzol, 1% castor oil
Tyres   Pirelli

And see if you can get pirellis .  ;)
and you might need a drop more oil .

Here are the formulas given for Shell blends of the 30s.
Source is 'Appunti di storia', Shell Italia, 1957, quoted in 'Alfa Romeo Model 8C2300' by Angela Cherrett, Veloce publishing, 1992.

Shell Dynamin:
Ethyl alcohol 20%
Benzol 30%
Petrol 49%
Castor Oil 1% (later substituted by 'Shell Super heavy' containing 90% castor and 10% mineral oil)

Octane rating 95-100

Shell Dynamin for track and circuit races
Ethyl alcohol 44%
Methyl alcohol 44%
Shell aviation petrol 12 %
Castor oil 1kg / 100 kg mixture

Octane rating 120-125

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/15940-racing-fuels-in-the-1930s-and-1940s/

Cor .And STAY CALM .

=================================================================

https://archivesearch.lib.cam.ac.uk/repositories/9/resources/1574

The Papers of Air Commodore Francis Banks | ArchiveSearchhttps://archivesearch.lib.cam.ac.uk › resources
He died in 1985. Banks wrote various technical papers on aviation engines and their fuels and his memoir "I Kept No Diary" (1978 with a 2nd revised edition in ...

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/francis-rodwell-banks/

Also doctored the 87 octane for these . they tended to run them throttle 'open '.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 05:54:56 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 06:00:42 PM »
. A special fuel, a mixture of benzol, methanol and acetone with TCP anti-detonation additive, was used.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/schneider-cup-race/

might pay to look up TOXIC , Carcinogenic , six toes , warts , cardiac arrest , deafness etc .  :)

http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/?page_id=2286

Classic B Team Race Fuels

Development of a ‘green’ Classic B racing fuel

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 06:29:27 PM »
Gas glow seems to yield varying results. Compression ratio must be optimized. Carb as well. Not many are adventurous enough to play with heads to make gas glow work. A few have tried glowplugs in the small Evolution gas offerings.

NV Engines has their GX-40 running gas which was briefly popular, but had an unusual requirement to run castor oil. It uses standard turbo plugs (hot). Rods were a weak point, iirc.

I had intentions of making heads for E85 and gas, but never got around to it. I tried the G5 plug with an FS-120S. It ran OK, but didn't make full power without plug heat. I haven't gotten around to increasing compression ratio.

Oil percentage is a tricky thing. It's quite dependent on oil properties and bearing materials and clearances.  Some run small RC two strokes on gas and spark with 10% or more oil to keep the rod happy.
Greg

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 10:41:32 PM »
Gas glow seems to yield varying results. Compression ratio must be optimized. Carb as well. Not many are adventurous enough to play with heads to make gas glow work. A few have tried glowplugs in the small Evolution gas offerings.

NV Engines has their GX-40 running gas which was briefly popular, but had an unusual requirement to run castor oil. It uses standard turbo plugs (hot). Rods were a weak point, iirc.

I had intentions of making heads for E85 and gas, but never got around to it. I tried the G5 plug with an FS-120S. It ran OK, but didn't make full power without plug heat. I haven't gotten around to increasing compression ratio.

Loss of power should not be surprising - the early experiments with what we now call "glow fuel" were not trying to run without an ignition system, they were looking for more power by using "hot" fuel, that is, nitromethane (and in some cases, ether). It just also happened that it ran so much hotter that the spark plug glowed red enough to keep it going with no ignition.   So going back to using gasoline/E10/E85 would be expected to cause a loss of power over conventional fuel AND you have to carry an ignition and batteries with you.

Brett

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 08:57:05 AM »
 I tried G5 on gas in ST/46 with hemi head and it ran fine. 11/5 prop. 2 ounces of fuel ran 8 minutes. There are no batteries or ignition needed.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 11:10:07 AM »
   I think what would rise to the top of any particular problems is engines running hot. The OTS guys that run ignition usually run anything but gasoline for that reason. Coleman lantern fuel, or even just Fox Super Fuel because they run cooler. High performance race cars gravitated to alcohol for the same reason. You need to run more fuel because alcohol ran cooler so you hade to run a lot more of it to get the same power. It sound attractive to C/L guys these days because of the cost per gallon, but in my mind, if it was all that acceptable and advantageous, we would have been running it a long time ago. I wouldn't mind seeing a model run and fly with it just out of curiosity to see what it sounds like and how it handles. One thing to consider is from a safety factor in just storing gasoline and handling it from your garage to the flying field and back. It is much more volatile, and I think ths aspect of it has been addressed and dealt with by the guys running iot in giant scale and large sport type models. It will be interesting to watch the situation and see how it progresses. For right now, I'll stick with what I know and understand.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 03:42:10 PM »
Gerald asked "Will the fuel draw be too low as it operates much leaner?", but nobody gave an opinion on that.

IMO, fuel draw will be related to only rpm and effective venturi bore, all else remaining the same. The NV will need to be set leaner, but that shouldn't affect fuel draw. Although, keep in mind that oil content may need to be increased, and contamination by dirt, seeds and bugs will tend to cause more problems due to smaller restriction at the NV. y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 03:27:19 AM »
Hello
I got my sons old stunt trainer out and fitted the G5 plug to the Thunder Tiger 25 Pro and used the 75%Petrol with 25% oil mix and had my son Otto to give it a test flight. First thing we found was the needle was more sensitive and the exhaust note quite different, with a miss when too rich and sudden cut if set too lean.
It flew okay but had a 1 second slower lap times and we felt it was down about 20% on power with an increase in heat. Me and my sons then flew it till the silicon tubing grew too big and the clunk fell off which I knew would happen but we wanted to first compare it with glow fuel before swapping to the petrol mix.
On the plus side it felt like a diesel with a constant run once you got the needle setting right and it doubled the run time being so much leaner.
It had no tendency to run away and flew the maneuvers at a very consistent speed and no fuel draw issues.

The price of petrol and methanol are very similar now here in New Zealand in fact petrol is slightly more expensive due to fuel taxes but our initial testing was for a school science experiment that my son Max undertook.

A lot of the new generation gas engines are slightly bigger to make up for the power drop like a 37 instead of a 25 or a 55 instead of a 40 or 46 and they often have that big heat sink head.

Considered putting the G5 plug into a O&R 23 or 60 on a vintage model, so I can remove the need for a coil and batteries and not pop the head off with high nitro fuel . The heat build up and safety aspects may be offset by the neat sound difference and running style of Gas/Petrol.

Regards Gerald

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 03:54:10 PM »
I have been running spark engines for the last 25 years. All old ones. Anderson Spitfires, Super Cyclones, Ohlssons, Atwood Super Champions, Forster 29 rear valve, and Orwick 64. My standard fuel mix is 3 parts stove fuel to one part Walmart Super Tech standard 2 stroke oil. After many hours of running they seem to have very little if any wear. All of the engines were refurbished by me to start with and were in superb condition.

The only problem I had flying stunt is getting the right amount of gas in the tank for the run time. It takes a really small tank for a 6 minute flight. Power is never a problem. The larger planes fly better because of the extra weight from the batteries and coil. Many have gone to Lipo batteries which are much lighter than 3 nicads or two alkaline batteries.

My 850" sq. Taurus that weighs 64 ounces is my best flying ignition stunt plane for Old Time. The Humongous is right up there with it. But I have flown a Yates Dragon on a Forster 29 which flies very well.

Since my 82 year old back does not like flying control line much, I have been flying a scaled down Lanzo Bomber to 60"span with an Ohlsson 23 side port with a radio. Don't chase free flight very well. LOL. I also have a 80 Play Boy Sr. with sometimes an Ohlsson 60 side port or a Super Cyclone.
Jim Kraft

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 03:42:04 AM »
Hello Jim Thanks for sharing your experience in running early gas/petrol spark engines and vintage models.
Its certainly an area I would like to experience more of having built some vintage models. I have run ignition engines on glow fuel to save the weight and complexity of running with points, coil and batteries but can see for the full experience I need to run them like they used to.
Perhaps the G5 plug will help in the learning curve in getting used to non-glow fuel.

Regards Gerald

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here