News:

• April 18, 2024, 03:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS FP25 muffler tail cone nut - what does it do?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OS FP25 muffler tail cone nut - what does it do?
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:18:50 AM »
Guys,
I was working with my K&B 40 fitting the OS FP25 muffler and wanted to reposition the angle of the exhaust so I started to loosen the rear nut and found it just kept turning without releasing the tail cone. It wouldn't come out just spin. I loosened the front bolt and it released the tail cone and I was able to repostion it where I wanted. I retightened the nose bolt the whole muffler is tight but the tail nut still spins, does anyone know what the tail cone nut does in these mufflers?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: OS FP25 muffler tail cone nut - what does it do?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
It's a jam nut to lock the assembly together.  The nut should snug up tight against the cone, if it doesn't it sounds like the bolt or the nut might be stripped. 

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »
Correctomundo.

The long bolt is threaded into the tail cone and the back nut is somewhat redundant.  But the combination does a good job of holding the thing together. 
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
without the nut on the end the screw can vibrate loose. it will eventually unscrew from the outlet end, finally the end of the muffler falls off and your plane will get real loud, and if using muffler pressure it will lean out and start screaming around at max rpm until you get behind it and crash - not that it ever happened to me........
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Advertise Here
Tags: muffler 

Advertise Here