News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:48:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS FP 25 & LA 25 question  (Read 920 times)

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS FP 25 & LA 25 question
« on: February 12, 2022, 08:37:57 AM »

I own several OS 25LA engines and no FP 25s. My question is, will the back plate from the FP 25 fit the LA 25? ....Gene

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: OS FP 25 & LA 25 question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 08:53:41 AM »
              Gene, yes it will fit. I will offer this word of caution though. I did this very early on when the LA was just introduced. What I discovered was that the plastic LA version recessed into the case slightly deeper. Curtis Shipp was making metal backplates for the LA and FP series engines for a number of years. I sent him a e-mail in regards to my issue years ago in which he did mention he came across a similar issue on the LA .25. Greg, from Kamtechnik offers a beautiful machined version with a o-ring https://kamtechnik.com/product/ktk-11/

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 09:17:42 AM »
Thank you. So the FP back plate fits but doesnt enter the LA case as far as the plastic LA back plate does. Does the extra case volume create any adverse conditions if i use the FP back plate on the LA?....gene

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 09:26:51 AM »
My reason for wanting to use the FP back plate was to allow me to use a remote needle assy. The stock plastic back plate locates the needle valve so that on a profile model it becomes an issue of breaking off in the advent of an inverted landing.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 11:00:16 AM »
Thank you. So the FP back plate fits but doesnt enter the LA case as far as the plastic LA back plate does. Does the extra case volume create any adverse conditions if i use the FP back plate on the LA?....gene

Hello Gene;
     You do have a valid question. and old "Two Stroke 101"  performance tip to get better performance out of an engine, and can also work with 4 strokes, is called "stuffing the crank case " and maybe some other nick names. That trick is to fill every void you can inside the cranks case in order to fill up excess crank case volume and this in turn increases crank case vacuum and thus increases fuel draw. it in itself is not a big over all answer to a lot of problems but when added to some other details does contribute to a better running engine. This was one of the reason for the Fox Stuffer Back Plate for coming into existence. If you wanted to adjust the FP back plate and see if this makes any difference, just add enough  metal to the face of the back plate to take up the difference. A flat plate of aluminum gut to a circle the correct size, then JB Welded to the back plate should do the job. Double check the clearance and if satisfied, you could add a rivet to the assembly right in dead center so the crank pin can rotate around it and seal it with a bit more JB Weld or silicone, and you know it won't go any where. You can make up a spare back plate and take it to the flying field, and put up several flights before  you change it, then several more after, and you should have your answer and not hurt a thing.
    The older metal bracket for holding the old style rear needle valve is very nice for the reasons you want it for. The newer LA series went back to a metal bracket but uses the new/old style O-Ring type needle. If you have the original LA series back plate with the molded in needle valve holder, that can be cut off and the back filed flat and just use the metal bracket or make what you need out of aluminum angle from the hardware store. Lots of options here for you.
   Type at you later, 
   Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:43:19 PM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 11:17:10 AM »

Thanks Dan. Good point. I was thinking on the same path with adding to the back plate if need be. ...Gene

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 03:14:19 PM »
            I noticed on my newer LA cases that this wasn't  a issue. I only found this to be the situation with my early LA version. I purchased mine from Tower Hobbies when they were first made available. I just made mention of this due to not knowing what you have.

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 04:50:29 PM »
I'll have to make a note to myself to check my engines once i get around to installing the metal back plates. Thanks for the heads up......gene

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 12:34:46 PM »
This was one of the reason for the Fox Stuffer Back Plate for coming into existence.

The stuffer backplate was not intended to stuff the crankcase - it was deeper, and anodized,  to keep the conrod from getting pushed off the back of the crankpin and wearing out the crankpin and conrod big end prematurely in Foxberg Racing. From the man himself:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/fox-35-stunt-mods/msg34899/#msg34899

Any "stuffing" is provides is merely a side effect, and it is far from clear that stuffing the crankcase has the performance benefits claimed for it.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 04:41:04 PM »
The stuffer backplate was not intended to stuff the crankcase - it was deeper, and anodized,  to keep the conrod from getting pushed off the back of the crankpin and wearing out the crankpin and conrod big end prematurely in Foxberg Racing. From the man himself:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/fox-35-stunt-mods/msg34899/#msg34899

Any "stuffing" is provides is merely a side effect, and it is far from clear that stuffing the crankcase has the performance benefits claimed for it.

Brett

Well, notice I said "one" of the reasons. Not the only reason. I'm going by what Marvin told me personally when I bought my first one from him a bazillion years ago at the SIG contest. We talked quite a bit about it at that time. It was Marvin that came up with the concept initially I believe. and he sold them first, and then Fox more or less ripped him off , but that is another story. He is who I learned about using a playing card for back plate gaskets, and not the stock cork gaskets, so that the back plate would seat properly. I've said before that by itself, you might not notice anything in a Fox run when used by itself, but when used with other little details you can get a much better, more consistent run. I've never said anything about more power, just a more consistent, better running engine.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here