News:

• April 16, 2024, 03:39:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 40 LA RC carb versus Venturi  (Read 1292 times)

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS 40 LA RC carb versus Venturi
« on: June 14, 2021, 09:28:30 AM »
All,

I was setting up my plane with a RC version of the OS 40 LA. The carburetor  throat looks to be very narrow in comparison to the OS 25 LA Venturi that I have.

I know that having a smaller throat diameter helps cure the runaways, so I was just thinking of keeping the Carburetor and wiring it open.

It should be easy to change out to the OS 25 LA Venturi if the RC carb  causes any issues.

Thoughts?     S?P 
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS 40 LA RC carb versus Venturi
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 09:51:26 AM »
All,

I was setting up my plane with a RC version of the OS 40 LA. The carburetor  throat looks to be very narrow in comparison to the OS 25 LA Venturi that I have.

I know that having a smaller throat diameter helps cure the runaways, so I was just thinking of keeping the Carburetor and wiring it open.

It should be easy to change out to the OS 25 LA Venturi if the RC carb  causes any issues.

Thoughts?     S?P

That what you see is kind of an illusion. Remember, that there is no spray bar in the way choking down the throat of the carb. I have a model that I can fly with both R/C carb for profile scale and switch to a venturi to fly stunt. It gets much lower fuel economy with the carb wired in place. One thing you can do with the carb is wire off the throttle barrel where it is only about 3/4 throttle or a bit less and then set your needle for the run you want. That will simulate the choke opening of a venturi and NVA spray bar, and you can play with that a little bit. I have a .250" venturi and an OS NVA in my venturi set up for it and get great runs with this and use 4 ounces of fuel for the pattern.  The carb body can still rattle some and leak some air around it. You will probably be happier with a real venturi and NVA.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 11:42:13 AM »
Ahhh....!  Didn't know that there wasn't a spray bar in the rode in the R/C carburetor. At first glance I was think , "MAn this is a small throat!"

Now it makes sense.

Thanks for the info.

Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »
In case you tend to crash often, the longer throttle will be more likely to break the crankcase casting. A Delrin "venturi" is much more forgiving.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 03:14:42 PM »
Steve, less likely to break if RC carb is turned and mounted approx 45degrees, especially with RC carbs with needle valve. They usually survive a crash without damage.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 03:47:59 PM »
Yes, it works.

RC carbs have more opportunities for air leaks; if you get inconsistent running my first suggestion would be a venturi.

What Dan McEntee said about adjusting the throttle down.  Most of the carbs I've used will be at full throttle if you screw the idle adjustment screw in all the way -- I like to use that as a nice hard stop for the throttle.

On the 46LA and Tower 40, you can do a lot of good by tuning the venturi size -- if you try to regulate the plane speed entirely by the needle, you can either end up with slobbery rich runs that turn into screaming runaways half way through, or (if the venturi is too small) runs where you have enough power in the level and the engine fades out in maneuvers.

I adjust my venturi size so that the plane has good pick-up in the maneuvers, but isn't so rich that it wants to run away, or I have to struggle to get the needle set correctly every flight.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 07:42:04 PM »
Go with a venturi from Lees Machine Shop and needle valve assembly from Randy Smith and solve 90% of most run problems and get consistancy,
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here