News:

• May 14, 2024, 03:27:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 40 FP  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
OS 40 FP
« on: March 12, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
My brother just found a contol line 40 OS FP at a swap meet for $30.00 and he bought it for me.  I have read that they can "run away" if they're not modified.  I don't know if it's modified and haven't seen it yet.  However,  what mods could a non professional like me do to it to make it better if necessary.

I read in another post that they can be tamed with 11/4 props and high castor fuel.  Is using high castor fuel wise?

How are these engines?   Are some of them good if they're stock?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS 40 FP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:51:38 AM »
Run a search on this forum and the udder forum. See if you can find the information you request. Engines can be run effectively stock. This topic comes up almost as often as issues relating to BOM.

Offline GEOFFREY

• Commander
  • Northwest Fireballs
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:47:43 AM »
this os is made in more than one version if the word Max is horizonal or up and down , the sheet for the up and down says 25 % castor with a 11/5 prop. do not have the paper on horizonal type but have been told it can be used wih synthetic  fuel. my fp is stock and has no runaway problems
GEOFFREY L CHRISTIANSON  AMA 824607             DELTA PARK Portland Or.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
The "runaway" problems were from the early usage in trying to run them like Fox .35s.   They do not like to run a low rpm 4-2 in stock trim.  If you tried to do that, you would get to about the square 8s and it would hit passing gear and never return.  It's a wild ride with a larger full blown stunter going from about a 5.2 lap to about a 4.5 lap. 

High rpm, low pitch works best on an out of the box one.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
Is this too much motor for a Nobler or a Smoothie?  I have one Brodak 40 which has worked well on both planes.  I also have several Fox 35's.  I never tried one on the Smoothie.  I was stunting well with the B-40.  I didn't like the Nobler with the Fox 35.

OS
MAX
FP

The lettering on the MAX is horizontal.  Does anyone have the sheet on that one.  What is the proper fuel?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
Hi Allen

No It is not too much motor, many of them have been used in Noblers

Regards
Randy

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:24:01 PM »
Thanks to all,

I look forward to running this engine.  I think I will try an 11/4 prop and keep the rpm's high.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
Thanks to all,

I look forward to running this engine.  I think I will try an 11/4 prop and keep the rpm's high.

Keep away from the Control line stock muffler, the exhaust hole is tiny and will make for runaways. Use a good open tongue or tube muffler

Randy

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:34 PM »
I've just been running the same horizontal Max as yours.  I used the stock muffler and had a runaway.  Put in 2 head shims and it calmed down.  Put on a tongue muffler and it ran beautifully.  I'm running 10/22 1/2 & 1/2 and an 11X5 Zinger on a Pathfinder.  My LA 46 came in so that is now on the plane.

Bob
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 07:47:05 AM »
I got in my first 4 flights with the OS 40FP.  Quite an engine.  It is a bit fast.  I was using a Top Flite Power Point 11/4 prop at first.  Then it broke and I used an APC 11/4.  The first flight, it ran pretty well. Then it stopped after 2 minutes on flights 2 and 3.  I finally checked the fuel filter.  It had a ball of something in there. I'm glad I used a fuel filter in that one.   The fourth flight was pretty good but still ran pretty fast.  I was running without a muffler.  I have a tongue muffler and a possible head shim on the way from Randy.  I hope to tame it a little.  Randy also said to cut back to 5% nitro.  I was using Brodak 10/11.5/11.5.  I've obtained some Powermaster 1/11.5/11.5.  I'm wondering if just adding the muffler and lowering the nitro will make it more stunt friendly.  It seemed to almost burp on outside loops but not like a Fox.   I like the power.  I plan to try some different props.  I have 10.5/4.5 APC, just one and several Zinger Pro 11/4's.  I haven't found any 11/3's. I did look at Brodak as I was there the Saturday of Fly-in.  Nice to meet some of you in person. 

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »
Make one change at a time and test, do not change combinations of items, else you won't know what is effecting what. If you add a head gasket test it wouhout the muffler and with. If you are testing the muffler, test only the muffler without the added head gasket etc.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 02:16:03 AM »
Beware of adding extra head gaskets if you are using factory OS parts. The OS gaskets are 0.016" thick. For the stroke of the FP 40 and the others with the same stroke, 10° of crank rotation at TDC gives 0.0055" of piston movement.

Adding a second 0.016" gasket can play havoc with the ignition timing. Some people have had success taming the FP 40 by using the venturi from the FP 20/25 (6.55mm dia).

But as Peter said, only change one thing at a time.

Ignoring my own advice, I ran an ABN FP 40 a couple of weeks ago—first flight on a new model, first flight on an engine that I had previously only run on the bench.

The initial setup is the FP 20/25 venturi, hemi head per Bob Zambelli's modification with a 0.010" head gasket and APC 12.25" x 3.75" prop. The tank is a Sullivan S-6, setup with a clunk and uniflow. The engine speed was rock steady for the first half flight with no run away after each manoeuvre. Half way though the flight, the speed picked up several hundred revs but then stayed steady at the higher speed without running away. Those watching thought it pretty a impressive engine run.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
Think about this stuff...

When a race driver wants more horsepower, he INCREASES compression. Add a head gasket and you are DECREASING compression. DECREASING horsepower.
If he increases carburator throat size he allows more air and mixture into the engine, INCREASING horsepower. If you use a smaller venturi you are going to reduce air and mixture thereby DECREASING horsepower.

Yes, you can make it work better, but do you really want to reduce your horsepower to tame this really great engine?

Send your engine to Randy and have him adjust the timing on your engine (and other magic) making it run in the power curve you need it to perform for stunt. He can adjust it to run a 2-4 break, or a constant speed pipe styled run. You won't regret it!

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 04:35:53 AM »
I want to report that I lowered the nitro content of my fuel on a tip from Randy.  I didn't yet add a shim though I have one.  This motor is running wonderful and has gotten me to the best flying I have ever done.   I'm having fun! Currently it has a 10 3/4x4 APC prop.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 05:30:38 AM »
I want to also report that I added the Randy Smith Tongue muffler.  I'm currently using a mix of Brokak 10/11 1/2/ 11 1/2 and some equal Power Master with about 3 ounces of Fox 10/20 (all castor) mixed and a tinge of Tower fuel.  I've had the Fox and the Tower for three years or so and this is the way I'm getting rid of it, it mixed with other fuels.  My actual nitro is just a little less than 10% on a quart of mixed fuel.  The FP40 is on a Smoothie painted up like a British War Plane that was given me out of an older gentleman's cache of planes.  He was getting out of Control Line.  At any rate, this engine starts easy and as long as the plane hangs together, I can just go and fly.  I'm starting to attempt vertical 8's and triangles.  Next I want to try an hour glass.  Even on the vertical 8's I find myself cutting the bottom 8 off a bit at the bottom - not making a full 8.  However, this is progress.  As I said, I'm having fun with this combination plane and engine.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here